What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Need a bit of help  (Read 3834 times)

tommyp

Need a bit of help
« on: October 29, 2016, 07:57:36 pm »
New to tub ownership. I seem to have an issue w/re-occuring light foam, and what looks like a soap scum type of film in a line about 1/2 in above my water, as well as on the plastic sides to where my filter is. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Chems seem ok, and only way i seem to keep my water clear is w/a good amount of chlorine. Ph/Alkelinity both seem on the mark.

Hot Tub Forum

Need a bit of help
« on: October 29, 2016, 07:57:36 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Need a bit of help
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 08:10:19 am »
New to tub ownership. I seem to have an issue w/re-occuring light foam, and what looks like a soap scum type of film in a line about 1/2 in above my water, as well as on the plastic sides to where my filter is. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Chems seem ok, and only way i seem to keep my water clear is w/a good amount of chlorine. Ph/Alkelinity both seem on the mark.

Foam is generally caused by what YOU introduce to the water. Makeup, lotion, hair products, aftershave and the like. And yes, chlorine will help.
Retired

someguy

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 08:34:14 am »
You should "purge" the plumbing and jets using an effective hot tub plumbing cleaner.  Brand new hot tubs should definitely be purged the very first day it is filled.  Manufacturer's test all hot tub plumbing with water before shipping and this can lead to a biofilm buildup which will cause the foaming you are seeing.  Some manufacturers and dealers are hesitant to acknowledge this fact since they don't want people to think that their new tub is "dirty".  Plus, many dealers are too busy and cannot take the time to clean and purge the plumbing of every new hot tub they deliver and set up.  Biofilm is a real problem but one that will be overcome with effective cleaning and purging protocols.  You will be absolutely blown away when you see the buildup and gunk that is inside all new hot tub plumbing.  Jetted bathtubs too.  You need to initially purge and then do so every 6 months at a minimum.  Smaller hot tubs that get lots of usage should be purged more often.  Water maintenance will be a breeze if your plumbing is not gunked up.  Be sure to clean the filter(s) with a reliable product at regular intervals.  A little time spent doing these two things will benefit you immensely.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 08:53:35 am by someguy »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 11:30:46 am »
Manufacturer's test all hot tub plumbing with water

Have you talked to the manufacturers about what they use to test new hot tubs? Is it just plain water?
Retired

someguy

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 11:44:48 am »
Speaking with the many manufacturer we deal with it seems that this is the case.  Water from a holding tank is introduced to the new hot tub, plumbing and jets are checked for leaks and then they reclaim that same water.  I am unsure as to how often the holding tank water is changed.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 01:45:16 pm »
I talked to one manufacturer who uses water and 5 other ingredients. Sanitized water being the key.
Retired

someguy

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 05:16:26 pm »
Biofilm grows in hot tub plumbing no matter if sanitizer is used or not.  Look at the best kept and treated hot tubs, biofilm still grows inside the plumbing.  I realize some manufacturers use treated water to test new hot tubs in an effort to mitigate biofilm formation.  However, when the water is drained after teating, some is left behind since even air drying the lines still leaves some moisture in the lines.  Now the tub is shrink wrapped and/or cartoned for shipping.  It may be weeks or months before it is finally delivered to the customer.  In that time biofilm colonization gains a foothold.  There is no way around it.  You need to purge all new hot tub plumbing initially to lessen or eliminate this situation.  I realize some dealers don't like to hear this or have consumers know this, but this is reality.  Consumers should Google "biofilm in hot tubs" to gain an understanding as to what it is and how they can control it.  The CBE or Center for Biofilm Engineering is also a great source of information.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 07:27:31 pm by someguy »

tommyp

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 05:17:28 pm »
How does one purge - simply drain the tub and refill?

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 07:14:44 pm »
Theres several products out there. Someguy sells one, but there are others.
Pour in, run jets, drain, rinse. Follow directions.

I wouldn't assume that's your problem. How much do you soak? How many people? How clean are the people? How often do you clean the filter? How often do you change the water? As stated foam can be caused by many things introduced to your water.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 07:20:47 pm by Tman122 »
Retired

someguy

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2016, 08:23:35 pm »
Great question.  Add the cleaner to the filled hot tub, put the filter(s) inside the tub, and run the jets for 30 minutes in the filled hot tub.  Drain it, rinse it, wipe it down, refill it, get chemicals correct ans younare all set for 4-6 months.  Watch how easynit is to maintain crystal clear water.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2016, 08:23:35 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42