What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Need Tech Help Please! Older Hot Springs Spa, Controller Replacement?  (Read 2037 times)

Raider1

Hello all-

New to the forum and I've got an older Hot Springs Spa (Around a 2000 model such as was available from Lowes). The tub is in good shape, and I have kept up with all required maintenance. Last year, the heater stopped working, and it was diagnosed as the mother board. Now the control pack is obsolete, and I've not been able to source a direct replacement. So....would any of you experts know what I need to replace this unit? I don't mind the physical work, plumbing, etc. I just need to know WHAT to buy? I understand Balboa might have a unit which will fit, but of course no one would tell me the model needed.  :)
        I'm thinking I can't be the only one this has happened to. The shell and cabinet are still fine. Everything works with the exception of the on/off for heat (The contactors in the relays are fried). I would gladly upgrade to a whole new controller if someone could guide me in the right direction. Or....if anyone knows a spot that rebuilds motherboards, etc. that would work as well. I just don't see scrapping the whole tub, but the repairman I had come out to confirm my diagnosis wants $1300 to fix it. Most of that is labor I'm sure.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Raider

Hot Tub Forum

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Need Tech Help Please! Older Hot Springs Spa, Controller Replacement?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 05:49:58 pm »
Hello all-

New to the forum and I've got an older Hot Springs Spa (Around a 2000 model such as was available from Lowes). The tub is in good shape, and I have kept up with all required maintenance. Last year, the heater stopped working, and it was diagnosed as the mother board. Now the control pack is obsolete, and I've not been able to source a direct replacement. So....would any of you experts know what I need to replace this unit? I don't mind the physical work, plumbing, etc. I just need to know WHAT to buy? I understand Balboa might have a unit which will fit, but of course no one would tell me the model needed.  :)
        I'm thinking I can't be the only one this has happened to. The shell and cabinet are still fine. Everything works with the exception of the on/off for heat (The contactors in the relays are fried). I would gladly upgrade to a whole new controller if someone could guide me in the right direction. Or....if anyone knows a spot that rebuilds motherboards, etc. that would work as well. I just don't see scrapping the whole tub, but the repairman I had come out to confirm my diagnosis wants $1300 to fix it. Most of that is labor I'm sure.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Raider

Are the pump/s still good? What voltage are they? Is the pac supplied with 220V?  You will need some connectors for the pump/s also. Will one of these work?

http://www.spaguts.com/products/balboa-vs510sz-dual-pump-spa-controller-with-topside-54218-z-326.aspx?gclid=CjwKEAiAjIbBBRCitNvJ1o257WESJADpoUt02ksHFtyGkpi6uo1H92Hq-b_f0QWq-bY_RE5JFN_osxoCX4Hw_wcB#ConfigSelection
Retired

Raider1

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 06:46:24 am »
Thank you Tmann. Yes, all the pumps are in good condition. The spa was originally able to be either 110 or 220 depending on the application. I always used 220 so I could run the jets and the heater at the same time. I will check out the link you provided and maybo call the folks at Spaguts.

Thank you so much,

Raider

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 06:46:24 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42