What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: ICON tubs  (Read 4682 times)

Atsmob

ICON tubs
« on: August 01, 2004, 06:10:08 pm »
I’m in the market for a new hut tub and I’m feeling a lot overwhelmed by all the choices out there. So far I’ve looked at some of the Hot Springs models including one I liked very much from the Caldera line. Then I came across some tubs for sale outside of Home Depot made by ICON. The ICON tub outside of Home Depot was much less expensive but looked from my point of view to have many of the same features. I need some advice on what features are really important for quality and reliability and which ones are just window dressing. For example is the continuous filtration system that much better? Is the solid insulation a good idea for energy efficiency or a bad idea for maintenance reasons?

I’d also appreciate any feedback about personal brand recommendations.
???

Hot Tub Forum

ICON tubs
« on: August 01, 2004, 06:10:08 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: ICON tubs
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2004, 07:05:08 pm »
ICON making spas = Yugo making cars

They work
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2004, 07:45:55 pm »
It costs about the same to own a cheap spa as a good spa: The cheap spa just takes it out of your bank slower.

:-/
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Atsmob

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2004, 10:25:27 pm »
Thank you for the warning! I have feeling it will save me alot in the long run.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2004, 08:51:34 am »
Pay now or pay later!  
Brewman
Brewman

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2004, 09:12:40 am »
The more advanced filtration systems on higher end tubs will keep your tub water cleaner longer.  Clear water doesn't necessarily mean clean water.

Advanced insulation techniques will reduce monthly operating costs. Regardless of thermopane or "full-foam", both can work when done correctly.  On Hot Springs models (which I have) they estimate a monthly cost of about $18-25. So far, knock on wood, that estimate has been just right.  I have heard others say that, in the winter, cheaper spas incur operating costs of up to $60/month.

The number of pumps, quality of the jets, integrity of the shell, insulation from vibration, energy usage, plumbing quality/pressure/efficiency and ease of water maintenance will be drastically different between a top of the line manufacturer such as Hot Springs and a lower end model such as an ICON.

The warranty that comes with other models is also, I would imagine, a large part of the price.  Most expensive hot tubs come with at least a 5 year warranty on all moving parts and all plumbing and usually longer warranties on the shell and cabinet. Hot Springs (watkins) has a good warranty and a real history of sticking with it especially through a few growing pains they had many years ago.  They have a great track record with servicing tubs.

Also consider how you will install the tub.

An ICON tub will probably have more problems but if you are handy and so minded you can open it up and fiddle with it.  If you have it flush-mounted in a deck, though, you may want to spend more money to have less "fix it" issues and save some trouble trying to access tub parts from weird angles/spaces.

-Ed

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2004, 09:12:40 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42