What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: First time buyer - hydrotherapy and quality are a priority  (Read 6962 times)

jpiller1

First time buyer - hydrotherapy and quality are a priority
« on: October 11, 2016, 09:35:51 pm »
 Over the past few days, I've taken a look at numerous brands online, as well as posts on this site. Bottom line is that the information is a bit overwhelming. I am searching for a hot tub for my wife, given multiple joint and muscle issues.  So, hydrotherapy is a top priority.  I've seen tubs with lots of jets and tubs with fewer more focused jets.  What she really needs is the right amount, focused on back, shoulders and hips and calfs.  So, a lounger is needed.  She is also of small stature, so she needs a lounger that is not too long and that won't push her out of the seat.

I've read quite a bit on this forum about Marquis, Artesian, Hot Springs, Coast, Clearwater and MAAX.  And the posts seem to lean toward Marquis having positive comments indicating quality build, etc. However, the Marquis spas do not seem to have dedicated jets for the hips. So, still lost.

I'm hoping someone with extensive experience can help me to identify the top tier manufacturers for our needs. I don't really care about fancy accessories (speakers, lights, radios, etc.). I do care greatly about jet effectiveness for my wife's needs, as well as investing wisely in something that is extremely well-built, reliable and solid (i.e. won't cause me headaches on a regular basis). I don't want cheap parts, poorly made internals, ineffective insulation or a loud machine.  Our price point is 10-13k all in.

Right now, we've only seen in person a Master Spa Legend and a Caldera Geneva, and that is because these had local dealers. Based on the negative comments on this site relative to Master Spa, it looks like we will not go that direction. I believe there are also local dealers around for Hot Spring and Artesian.  There is a Marquis dealer within 100 miles.

Please let me know your opinions.  Clearly, we'll have to wet test, but I need a baseline judgment on brands to really hone our search.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 07:04:04 pm by Forum Admin »

Hot Tub Forum

First time buyer - hydrotherapy and quality are a priority
« on: October 11, 2016, 09:35:51 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: First time buyer - hydrotherapy and quality are a priority
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 07:43:33 am »
Welcome to the forum.  Your posts made perfect sense. What brands are within 50 miles of you?   Also I understand your point about the lounger, but loungers and women short of stature often don't play well together, they can float away, so as you stated, I think wet testing will be a very good idea.  Dealers react differently to that request, so expect some issues.    I've seen some lounger like seats where the legs bend more and do deeper with the seat back being a little more upright, from looks I would think that would help keep people from floating away.

Good luck in your search, and let us know how it goes, people here will be very interested.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 11:47:09 am »
To piggyback on the global moderator: You're looking in the right areas, brand-wise.  But what is near you is paramount as the dealer is half the equation (with how the tub feels- i.e. wet test, how you fit in it, etc- as the other half). 

Hip jets are on some spas.  One brand I carry- Artesian Spas- has models that have hip jets.  Many brands will have that and as you noted, some will not.  Only you know what your priorities are but they may shift once you do a wet test. 

For instance- I may speak to you of the awesome Artesian units and blah blah blah but if you sit in a, say, Hot Springs tub and that unit feels the best to you that is likely the tub you'll buy. 

Just make sure the dealer is reputable and has had the product for a while, has relatively positive online reviews, and if possible does their own warranty work (and works on the tub outside of the warranty as well.  The rest is details at that point.

Good luck moving forward.

HotTub9707

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 12:01:05 pm »
Hi jpiller1.  I have recently been in a similar situation with similar criteria...very high quality with superb hydromassage for specific areas such as lower back, calves, and feet.  I looked at and wet tested many brands, and the two that I felt were the best (for me) were Jacuzzi and Sundance.  The quality is evident, and I really like their layouts and variety of jetting.  I ultimately decided on a hot tub from the Jacuzzi brand, model J-480.  It has an awesome lounger, 3 other corner seats that each provides a different experience, high quality, and very nice aesthetics.  I also really like 2 models from Sundance, the Cameo and the Maxxus.  But the lounger in these models is long and better-suited to taller people, so it may not work for your wife.  But both Jacuzzi and Sundance have many good models, so if you have those brands near you, I would highly recommend checking them out.   

jpiller1

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 03:57:01 pm »
Thanks all. Looked at Bull Frog and MAAX spas (dry) today. Bull Frog looked interesting in terms of fewer moving parts, easily accessible plumbing and interchangeable jet packs. May wet test. Later next week will see Sundance and Hot Springs. Marquis dealer is 1.5 hours away so won't get to that one for a bit.

Others, I more than welcome your advice.

And thanks again.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 07:37:30 pm »
Sounds like you are going it the right way. Marquis does have 2 tubs with powerful hip jets the show and the wish model. All the tubs with the exception of MAAX that you mentioned in your last post would be considered in the top echelon of manufacturers out there as far as longevity, manufacturer and quality of product. Wet test a few to see what you like the best

jpiller1

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 08:24:36 pm »
Thanks Hottubguy for the advice.  As of this evening, I've added in Dimension One to the mix.  I've pretty much decided to narrow the field to Dimension One (Lotus Bay or Chairman), Marquis, Sundance and Caldera. I intend on wet testing each.

Any last thoughts on the way I should go? All seem to have a hydrotherapy focus and seem fairly well made.  The D1s seem really nice in terms of build quality.

Comments much appreciated.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2016, 08:28:42 pm »
I am a dealer of both Marquis and Caldera so any specific questions you have on either feel free to ask

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2016, 08:32:17 pm »
My thought would be the one that fits and feels the best to you is the one I would purchase. Each of them has there own niche in the market. Each will feel different on the wet test. Which Caldera are you considering?

jpiller1

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2016, 11:03:52 pm »
Geneva. Will likely wet test the Marquis Vector and Epic, as well as one of the Bay series D1 tubs at some point in the next couple of weeks.

d00nut

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2016, 12:57:53 am »
Geneva.

We got one of those on our floor.  It is a killer hot tub, and it looks like a million bucks to with the new skirting.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2016, 06:55:17 am »
Bull Frog looked interesting in terms of fewer moving parts,
And thanks again.

Still waiting for a BF salesman to let us all know, what are the fewer moving parts?
Retired

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2016, 07:28:45 am »
Thanks all. Looked at Bull Frog and MAAX spas (dry) today. Bull Frog looked interesting in terms of fewer moving parts, easily accessible plumbing and interchangeable jet packs. May wet test. Later next week will see Sundance and Hot Springs. Marquis dealer is 1.5 hours away so won't get to that one for a bit.

Others, I more than welcome your advice.

And thanks again.

Since we are talking about jets targeting certain areas, this can be a reason to buy a bigger spa than what you need.  On my 2nd spa I went smaller and it is just my wife and I 99% of the time.  However, even our smaller spa is a "5 person tub" and frequently when I am by myself I can sit anywhere and it doesn't have to be in a seat.  I can sit creatively to get jets where I want them. I can even sit on the floor and use the powerful fut jets as hip or thigh spots.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2016, 12:15:28 pm »
Bull Frog looked interesting in terms of fewer moving parts,
And thanks again.

Still waiting for a BF salesman to let us all know, what are the fewer moving parts?

It's all explained right here in a nice clear & concise 16 minute video that anyone in the market for a Hot Tub should be watching.  If you'd like I could send a few brochures to you if you'd prefer some written material  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SjHrqYZSYY

jpiller1

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2016, 06:35:58 pm »
Ok. So I'm down to one of the new Marquis Vector series, a D1 Lotus Bay or Chairman and a Sundance Cameo.  These all seems to have nicely contoured calf areas in the lounger, and the designs appear to aid with keeping you from floating away (not sure if that is hype). But the jets that are in the calf areas seem spot on for my wife's needs.

I hear that perhaps (in terms of Jacuzzi ownership), Sundance is mid-line and that D1 is considered the top line.  D1 seems to have all we want, thought pricey.

Before wet testing, any last thoughts, particularly between the Marquis Vector21 and the D1 Bay or Reflections? Should the Caldera and Sundance be considered as perhaps a Tier 2 when compared to the Marquis and D1?

Thanks again. This forum has been extremely helpful. Really appreciate all of the feedback.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2016, 06:35:58 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42