What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sand Paper feel  (Read 3212 times)

brian_tr

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Sand Paper feel
« on: October 06, 2016, 08:05:01 am »
I guess I screwed up.  I was trying to get my calcium up closer to where it should be this time and now have the calcium build up on tub.  I should of waited until ph and alkalinity came in before adding.  Did not know this.  I been trying to get water balanced since filling the tub last week.  I am at 4.5 cups muriatic acid now and alkalinity still high.  Usually takes about 5 cups.  Should I try to take it low now or if get the ph in the 7.3 range will calcium go back into water?  My city well water is very high ph and very soft.  Been doing this for 14 years but always just got the calcium to about 100 and left it alone.  Still feel like a rookie!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 11:17:48 am by brian_tr »

Hot Tub Forum

Sand Paper feel
« on: October 06, 2016, 08:05:01 am »

The Wizard of Spas

Re: Sand Paper feel
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 11:57:39 am »
The sandpaper feel is from a metal deposit.  Get your pH and alkalinity balanced, have your sanitizer below 2ppm and add a metal remover.  It may not go away immediately but it will go away after several doses. 

Additionally- Add calcium slowly over several doses for best results.  Put some time in between doses.  Having a slight  imbalance of calcium hardness for a day wont hurt your tub.

brian_tr

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 10:14:43 am »
Thanks for the reply.  Still trying to get balanced.  Got a new liquid testing kit to make sure everything correct.  Still maxed out.  Should start coming into range pretty soon.  Starting to just add a quarter cup at a time now.  Over 5 cups so far.  Man this always a pain to get it to drop!

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 10:43:26 am »
Regarding reducing pH/alkalinity:

The *most effective* (not to be confused with *only*) way to do it is to add your reducing agent (muriatic acid, sodium bisulfate, etc) while the tub is off and the water is calm.  Running the jets is fine.  But if the water is calm, you get more bang for your buck, and the results occur faster.

Tip:  If you're filling your tub after a drain, and you typically add, say, 5 cups of muriatic acid, dilute the 5 cups in a gallon of water, pour it into your footwell and begin filling your tub.  Buy the time the tub is filled and the water circulates for a few mins the chemistry should be where you need it to be.

Good luck moving forward.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 10:43:26 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42