What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: 50 amp service for 60 amp tub  (Read 6732 times)

BigD

50 amp service for 60 amp tub
« on: September 29, 2016, 12:01:41 pm »
Hi all.  New member here.  Sorry if this has been asked before but I didn't see anything directly on point.

We recently purchased a home that was already wired (50 amps) for a hot tub on the deck (already reinforced).  We purchased a 60 amp hot tub and an electrician quoted us $1,750 to change the 50 amp service to 60 amps.  He said the wiring was not sufficient to handle 60 amps, and he said he had never heard of hot tubs requiring 60 amps.  This is odd because we got this contractor's contact information from our hot tub dealer.  The electrician suggested we stay with 50 amps and see if it trips the breaker before we spend the $$$ to go to 60 amp, assuming this will not void the warranty.  He said he was going to call the dealer about the warranty question.

Does this sound right?  From what I've read, it shouldn't be difficult to change 50 amp service to 60.  I'm surprised about the cost, too.  Should it cost that much to pull 60 amp-able wire through the same run where the 50 amp wiring is being removed?  It should be less than 100 feet.

We also called the electrician who has handled other issues in our home before, and he thought worst-case the cost would be $1,400 to run an entirely new line.  He's also coming out to look to see if the 50 amp service can be easily converted.

I'm not very familiar with electricity/circuits, so this is confusing.

We're in Michigan, so we will want to be able to run both pumps and the heater at the same time when it's cold out.  The spa also has a stereo and a handful of LED lights, in case that matters.

Hot Tub Forum

50 amp service for 60 amp tub
« on: September 29, 2016, 12:01:41 pm »

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
Re: 50 amp service for 60 amp tub
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 02:06:50 pm »
What is the make and model of the spa?

jmk1234

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 07:11:39 pm »
Hi all.  New member here.  Sorry if this has been asked before but I didn't see anything directly on point.

We recently purchased a home that was already wired (50 amps) for a hot tub on the deck (already reinforced).  We purchased a 60 amp hot tub and an electrician quoted us $1,750 to change the 50 amp service to 60 amps.  He said the wiring was not sufficient to handle 60 amps, and he said he had never heard of hot tubs requiring 60 amps.  This is odd because we got this contractor's contact information from our hot tub dealer.  The electrician suggested we stay with 50 amps and see if it trips the breaker before we spend the $$$ to go to 60 amp, assuming this will not void the warranty.  He said he was going to call the dealer about the warranty question.

Does this sound right?  From what I've read, it shouldn't be difficult to change 50 amp service to 60.  I'm surprised about the cost, too.  Should it cost that much to pull 60 amp-able wire through the same run where the 50 amp wiring is being removed?  It should be less than 100 feet.

We also called the electrician who has handled other issues in our home before, and he thought worst-case the cost would be $1,400 to run an entirely new line.  He's also coming out to look to see if the 50 amp service can be easily converted.

I'm not very familiar with electricity/circuits, so this is confusing.

We're in Michigan, so we will want to be able to run both pumps and the heater at the same time when it's cold out.  The spa also has a stereo and a handful of LED lights, in case that matters.

Honestly, the electrician is probably trying to get you to buy new wire so he gets paid more. One electrician came out to my home and said the same thing and quoted me 1050.00 just to change the wires and then was told he was wrong by another electrician who wasn't on commission base.  If the wire is 6 gauge wire than it should be rated to 75 amps with THHN  i believe. The tub should have settings to run several amp options by changing either jumpers or switches on the circuit board.  You would need to change your breaker switch to 60 amps to make it a GFCI with a test switch.  My Jacuzzi will pull 45-48 amps on 60 amp service

Just be careful because I was in your situation because my  area was set up already but electricians tried to get me to spend unnecessary money.

Your issue like i said is probably the breaker at the main panel and service disconnect panel.  If you already have 6 gauge wires in place you shouldn't have to replace them if they are in good condition.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 07:22:27 pm by jmk1234 »

BigD

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 08:40:11 am »

Honestly, the electrician is probably trying to get you to buy new wire so he gets paid more. One electrician came out to my home and said the same thing and quoted me 1050.00 just to change the wires and then was told he was wrong by another electrician who wasn't on commission base.  If the wire is 6 gauge wire than it should be rated to 75 amps with THHN  i believe. The tub should have settings to run several amp options by changing either jumpers or switches on the circuit board.  You would need to change your breaker switch to 60 amps to make it a GFCI with a test switch.  My Jacuzzi will pull 45-48 amps on 60 amp service

Just be careful because I was in your situation because my  area was set up already but electricians tried to get me to spend unnecessary money.

Your issue like i said is probably the breaker at the main panel and service disconnect panel.  If you already have 6 gauge wires in place you shouldn't have to replace them if they are in good condition.

Our regular electrician came out and confirmed we already have 6 gage wiring.  He just needs to change out the breaker and the service disconnect.  The electrician "recommended" by the dealer was trying to get some extra cash for unnecessary work.

Thank for the feedback!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 08:40:11 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42