What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: dichlor  (Read 4580 times)

nicker

dichlor
« on: July 28, 2004, 10:37:23 pm »
We just got our new tub today (Finally!)   We love it.  Quick question regarding add the dichlor or sanatizer after each use or at the end of the day.  One you add it do you have to run you tub for a certain length of time to mix it all about or just add it and leave it?

Tonight I added it and ran the tub for aprox 5 - 10 minutes.

Hot Tub Forum

dichlor
« on: July 28, 2004, 10:37:23 pm »

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
Re: dichlor
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2004, 06:58:30 am »
Hi Nicker,

Sounds like you did the right thing.  I get out of my tub and turn on the jets, put in my Dichlor and let them run while I go inside and change.  By the time I'm done, the water has had enough time to circulate the sanitizer throughout my tub.  I then close her up until the next day!!!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

CalicoskiesNC

• In hot water since July 2004, love our Optima
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004, 08:28:10 am »
One other thing, the dichlor does take a while to dissolve, so I mix it in an old mixing cup with some spa water first.  

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2004, 08:51:59 am »
One other thing, the dichlor does take a while to dissolve, so I mix it in an old mixing cup with some spa water first.  

Calico,
I was understood that one of dichlor's best qualities was the ease in which it would dissolve into solution.  Therefore, I broadcast it by the tsp. while all the jets are on.  I haven't seen any signs that this method is not working ok.  Anyone else?
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Ready2Buy1

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 10:42:57 am »
I add the diclor after we are finished with the tub and let the jets run for about 10 minutes too...I never heard that you would have to pre-dissolve the dichlor.

Snuggles

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2004, 11:20:54 am »
The Jacuzzi has a preset time of 20 min. cycle, I just add the dichlor push the button and let it do it's thing. I usually leave the cover off for the first10 minutes though, to avoid the off gassing that occurs. I heard it will extend the cover. I do the same thing when I shock it.  

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2004, 11:35:51 am »

Calico,
I was understood that one of dichlor's best qualities was the ease in which it would dissolve into solution.  Therefore, I broadcast it by the tsp. while all the jets are on.  I haven't seen any signs that this method is not working ok.  Anyone else?

Never broadcast Dichlor over the surface. It must be mixed first, or put into the filter or somesuch. Most warranties specifically mention this, and will not cover the damage it does.

And running the jets with the cover open for at least 10 minutes after adding Dichlor will add years of life to your cover.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2004, 12:37:15 pm »

Calico,
I was understood that one of dichlor's best qualities was the ease in which it would dissolve into solution.  

That would be my observation. If a test shows 0ppm of chlorine, I can drop in my usual amount, run he jets for 2 minutes and retest and find it at the proper level.  When we get out at night, I drop in my usual amount, turn pump #1 on low, which will automatically shut off in twenty minutes.  I close my lid right away too, some people say to leave it open, but at normal levels my cover still looks new to this day.  Now if I throw in shocking levels (pun intended) I leave the cover open for the 20 minutes.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

CalicoskiesNC

• In hot water since July 2004, love our Optima
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2004, 01:18:36 pm »
I've read so much stuff that I cant recall where I read the bit telling me to premix the dichlor, but I did read it somewhere that mattered enuf for me to make a mental note, so thats how I do it.  

OnMedic

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2004, 11:58:14 pm »
Those that put dichlor in after they soak, are you using a floater too? I only add once a week when I shock, and let the floater maintain my levels otherwise.

We only test te water twice a week, usually Tuesday and Friday or Saturday. All is usually good.

windsurfdog

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2004, 11:03:23 am »
Those that put dichlor in after they soak, are you using a floater too?

No floater here......just dichlor.  Also, no MPS for shocking here.....just dichlor.
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

windsurfdog

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2004, 11:05:55 am »
Never broadcast Dichlor over the surface. It must be mixed first, or put into the filter or somesuch. Most warranties specifically mention this, and will not cover the damage it does.

Chas,
What kind of damage will dichlor do?

Chris_H

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2004, 11:12:51 am »
If di-chlor sits on the shell (not dissolved) I can only assume it can bleach the shell.  Just like granular chlorine on a vinyl liner of a swimming pool.  Di-chlor should be added with the jets on full blast (preferably with no air on) through the skimmer area.
Chris H

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2004, 11:12:51 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42