What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: new recilrc pump tripping breaker  (Read 4704 times)

brian_tr

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
new recilrc pump tripping breaker
« on: September 13, 2016, 05:36:46 am »
I brought my 2002 Cameo back up after the summer.  The recirculation pump would quit and get hot after about 30 minutes.  I installed a new pump.  Now when I go back out the next day the breaker has tripped.  I turned the temp all the way down last night so heater would not come on.  I am pretty sure it is the pump.  I bought from https://www.pool-spa-supplies.com.  Some water did drip on it while I was installing it.  Could some have gotten in the motor? 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 12:36:40 pm by brian_tr »

Hot Tub Forum

new recilrc pump tripping breaker
« on: September 13, 2016, 05:36:46 am »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: new recilrc pump tripping breaker
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 09:28:31 am »
  Un plug the ozonator and see if it quits tripping.

brian_tr

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 09:49:29 am »
I is all ready unplugged.  I guess when get home will put a heater on it for a while.  I thought the pump would be waterproof.  When I went to put hose back the clamp came loose and some water spilled on it.  Either water got in or something wrong with the motor.  Yesterday I did get it to trip switching from standard mode to economy and back again.  It then would trip a few seconds after I reset breaker after that.  I pulled the white wire from pump and tried again.  Tripped again.  Then I pulled the black wire and it reset. Must be shorting to ground sometimes.  I thought about pulling the green wire and let run to see if it trips.  I know this is not safe to use like this but just for test.  I don't know what the return policy would be for a pump. 

This shutting down for the summer been taking its toll.  Last year replaced blower when brought back up and year before the control panel.  I guess for a 2002 can't complain to much.  Even still using original cover.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 12:21:39 pm by brian_tr »

brian_tr

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 04:44:41 pm »
I set the temp yesterday so and recirc time so pump would not run.  Stayed on all night.  I raised the temp this morning and breaker tripped again when got home.  I pulled the green wire from the pump to see if it will still trip.  I don't think it will.  Pretty sure it the pump but not sure about how to get a replacement?  Could possible be heater but don't think it is.  If it trips again with green wire not hooked up will pull the heater wires and try one more time.  This get fusstrating.

brian_tr

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 05:04:54 pm »
Is there a way to force the re-circulation cycle after a power failure?  Seems to take a day before it starts.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 08:01:47 pm »
  It's in the circuit board chip that does that, it will however run if it's calling for heat.    Try unhooking the heater, to be sure it's the pump.   My guess is the heater. 

brian_tr

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 06:33:08 am »
Figured out it has to go through filter cycle 4 before running the recirc cycle so I changed the timer times to go through the cycle 4.  I left the ground wire off the pump and it ran all night.  I do know not to touch the pump like this but run out of idea's to isolate the pump.  The pump must an interment short to ground.  I am going to try to return it.  Sucks when it is an interment problem.  Will go several hours before tripping.  The new pump does have a "Service" tag on it like it had been reconditioned.  Also has the old pump model number on it and though it was going to be the new E10 model. 

brian_tr

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 10:35:31 am »
I talked to the place I bought it from and was talking about the wiring.  I only have three wires connected and he says should be 4.  The forth wire is there but not connected.  He says that is the problem.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 01:20:26 pm »
  So you didn't have the neutral wire connected?   

brian_tr

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2016, 02:01:01 pm »
Just home and looked at.  Says right on control box three wire system.  There is no connection for neutral wire.  Wiring diagram shows three wires from GFI breaker to tub.  Guess I am going either buy another pump or just give up on tub.  Seems like every year now when bring tub up its something.  Last year blower and year before control panel.  This sucks.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 02:18:03 pm by brian_tr »

brian_tr

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2016, 03:43:55 pm »
delete
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 04:00:02 pm by brian_tr »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2016, 04:06:16 pm »
  The spa is only a 3 wire system no neutral.  I was thinking of the white wire on the circ pump not being hooked up, but then it wouldn't work at all.  ::)     I would get another pump, but why you shutting your spa down?  I would just leave it running, I believe a running spa is better than a spa just siting empty, even if you just turn the temp down.   

Was the neutral touching any metal in the control box anywhere?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 04:24:37 pm by Jacuzzi Jim »

brian_tr

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2016, 04:13:20 pm »
They are sending me new pump finally.  The last time it would not reset with unhooking pump.  Guy was still saying it was because it was it did not have 4 wires.  I sent him a wiring diagram.  It gets so hot here.  Tub will get to 104.  Don't use it and hate to maintain it but getting to be a hassle now bringing it back up.  For a 2002 I guess can't complain to much.

brian_tr

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2016, 06:55:33 am »
Received new pump and work good now.  Man that was a long couple weeks.  I hate intermittent problems.  All in all this been a good tub.  14 years of use.  Still have original cover.  Just had to glue some new vinyl at the seems.  I need to reconsider shutting tub down for summer.  All problems have been on start up.  I have been using bleach for sanitizer for years but am going to try the bromine tablets in floater.  Bleach has worked good for me but have to add everyday which is one of the reason I shut down for summer when not in use.  Going to do a water change and convert to bromine.  I have city well water which is really soft and very high ph.  Been using Nitro's way to get ph in balance pretty fast.  http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/forum/index.php?topic=12283.0

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2016, 06:55:33 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42