What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Now trying to choose between Vanto (Caldera) and Vector 94 (Marquis)  (Read 7688 times)

spamom50

We've been researching hot tubs for two months.  Many wet tests later, we're trying to decide between two very different models.  One is the Vanto by Caldera.  We like it because it's super comfortable for me (at 5' 2") tall, and fits our three sons (ages 12, 10, 11) very well.  The price is also in our range.  The dealer we like has quoted $6,500 as a starting point.  This doesn't include anything extra at this point.

We were just about to make a decision when the Marquis dealer that we really like suggested another option.  It's the Vector 94.  It's considerably larger (8' x 8' vs 7x7 on the Vanto).  It's also very comfortable for me, very roomy etc.  There would be plenty of room for our kids as they grow up.  He's a very helpful dealer, and he has offered the tub, cover, lifter, steps etc for a total of $9,000.  I believe this is a good price for this model.

With this second option, I'm not sure which to choose.  We like the price and size of the Vanto, but the Vector 94 model has amazing jets and room for the kids to grow.  Can anyone with kids share their insight about whether they went with the Vanto and it was fine through the years, or did they prefer a bigger tub? 

Also, our backyard is only 20 x 15 feet, so would the Vector 94 look ridiculously huge back there?  Like I said, we were all set to begin negotiating the price on the Vanto, but the Vector option opened up.  It's a couple of thousand dollars more expensive, so I guess what I'm asking is would it be worth it to go with the bigger, more expensive model? 

Thanks for any advice other moms and dads out there might have.

ps:  We did try the Salina (Caldera), which is similar in size to the Vector.  But it was way more cavernous on the inside and I felt like I was totally submerged in those deep seats.  The Vector 94 seats are higher and it was much more comfortable for a small person like me.

Hot Tub Forum

MarKee

Re: Now trying to choose between Vanto (Caldera) and Vector 94 (Marquis)
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 02:48:54 pm »
You're comparing the Caldera entry level, to the mid-to-high end Marquis.  My opinion is fairly biased because I sell Marquis, but the Marquis is going to be a much better spa in this comparison.

The V94 is a newer model but has became the #1 seller since it's introduction earlier this year.  It's an awesome spa with a lot of power.  What I like about it is that you can have every jet running at once, or adjust the power up or down on each seat.  You have an on/off for each seat, I don't think the Vanto has any control over the jets besides air controls.  Overall power of the jets will be stronger on the Marquis, and the foot geyser is the strongest I've seen in the industry.  With a 15'x20' yard I don't think the V94 would be overwhelming.  It's 10" larger than the Vanto.

Perhaps Hottubguy can chime in because he sells both brands and give his opinion?

d00nut

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 03:19:31 pm »
Here's the thing.  You aren't really comparing apples to apples, so it's not a good idea to line those two up side by side.  What is most important to you?  Price?  Size?  Power?  Dealer reliability?  Go from there.

That said, as a long time hot tubber... what I truly believe in is that you can ALWAYS go to small, but you can NEVER go to big.  Very few times do I get someone that complains that they got a hot tub that is simply to big for them.  When I get trade ins because they are upgrading, for the most part they are getting a larger model.  Sometimes if they are empty nesters... they are getting something smaller because they moved into a smaller home.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 11:25:51 pm »
We've been researching hot tubs for two months.  Many wet tests later, we're trying to decide between two very different models.  One is the Vanto by Caldera.  We like it because it's super comfortable for me (at 5' 2") tall, and fits our three sons (ages 12, 10, 11) very well.  The price is also in our range.  The dealer we like has quoted $6,500 as a starting point.  This doesn't include anything extra at this point.

We were just about to make a decision when the Marquis dealer that we really like suggested another option.  It's the Vector 94.  It's considerably larger (8' x 8' vs 7x7 on the Vanto).  It's also very comfortable for me, very roomy etc.  There would be plenty of room for our kids as they grow up.  He's a very helpful dealer, and he has offered the tub, cover, lifter, steps etc for a total of $9,000.  I believe this is a good price for this model.

With this second option, I'm not sure which to choose.  We like the price and size of the Vanto, but the Vector 94 model has amazing jets and room for the kids to grow.  Can anyone with kids share their insight about whether they went with the Vanto and it was fine through the years, or did they prefer a bigger tub? 

Also, our backyard is only 20 x 15 feet, so would the Vector 94 look ridiculously huge back there?  Like I said, we were all set to begin negotiating the price on the Vanto, but the Vector option opened up.  It's a couple of thousand dollars more expensive, so I guess what I'm asking is would it be worth it to go with the bigger, more expensive model? 

Thanks for any advice other moms and dads out there might have.

ps:  We did try the Salina (Caldera), which is similar in size to the Vector.  But it was way more cavernous on the inside and I felt like I was totally submerged in those deep seats.  The Vector 94 seats are higher and it was much more comfortable for a small person like me.

You are looking at 2 pretty different tubs. The vector has multiple seating levels, individual controls at each seat, a better warranty and is a more powerful tub. The vanto is also a nice tub. It has smaller jet sizes, little lesser warranty but is still a good tub. I've always yet to find someone who says I wish I bought a smaller tub (especially family). The main thing I get from your post is you like the price of the vanto better but the vector tub better. Both of these tubs are high quality tubs that should last you 20 years. Price difference is $2500 but if you break that down over 20 years then that vector tub is going to cost you about $10 a month over the lifespan of the tub. The question is to you is that tub worth an extra $10 a month over the lifespan of the tub?  It might even be less once the caldera dealer factors in steps, cover lifters and other options. Either way I don't think you can make a wrong decision here. Go with the deal that feels right to you and your family. Let us know what you choose, good luck!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 12:28:06 am »
Its not typical to compare two spas that have this much of a price gap but there's certainly nothing wrong with considering each and deciding between them. Make a list of the pros and cons of each and decide whats right for you. Obviously budget comes into play along with dealer confidence, what you'll get with each spa, how much the differences between them matter...
220, 221, whatever it takes!

spamom50

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 10:34:18 am »
Thanks so much for your input.  All your comments were very thoughtful.  You're right - I am comparing apples with oranges.  I guess my main question is whether the Vector would be worth the extra money.   Once a dealer said I shouldn't go too big or when the kids move out, the tub will feel way too large for my husband and I.  But I don't think I'd fe that way about the Vector.  It isn't cavernous on the inside the way I felt the Salina is. 

A couple more questions for your expert opinions:  The Vanto guy hasn't returned my email requesting a quote that includes steps, lifter, ozonator etc.  is that normal for a dealer to take days to respond?  I sent the request on Wednesday and it's Saturday today.  Maybe he's busy.  But it almost seems like he's not that interested in the sale.  We live almost an hour away, so perhaps he's thinking that's a pain in terms of possible service calls?

Also, am I correct in thinking the Vector is a good deal at $9000?   I don't think this includes the Ozonator and I might want to upgrade the steps. 

Lastly, do you think a small woman (5'2", 120 lb) can manage the cover on the Vector well enough by herself?   The cover being offered is the one you lift and slide, not the one with the big hydraulic handle. 

Thanks again for all your help.  I'm sorry I have so many questions but this is a big purchase for our family and I want to try to make the wisest choice that I can. 

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 11:29:21 am »
Reading your posts indicates you are leaning toward the Marquis.  Go with your gut.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

DKRanger22

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2016, 12:24:57 pm »
With your family of 5 in mind, you'll definitely want the bigger tub.  As mentioned by others, many people regret not having bought bigger.  Hardly anyone wishes they had bought a smaller tub.

Having said that, make sure that the larger tub feels as good as the smaller one.  If it doesn't, then I'd continue the search and get some additional options on the table.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2016, 04:06:22 pm »
Thanks so much for your input.  All your comments were very thoughtful.  You're right - I am comparing apples with oranges.  I guess my main question is whether the Vector would be worth the extra money.   Once a dealer said I shouldn't go too big or when the kids move out, the tub will feel way too large for my husband and I.  But I don't think I'd fe that way about the Vector.  It isn't cavernous on the inside the way I felt the Salina is. 

A couple more questions for your expert opinions:  The Vanto guy hasn't returned my email requesting a quote that includes steps, lifter, ozonator etc.  is that normal for a dealer to take days to respond?  I sent the request on Wednesday and it's Saturday today.  Maybe he's busy.  But it almost seems like he's not that interested in the sale.  We live almost an hour away, so perhaps he's thinking that's a pain in terms of possible service calls?

Also, am I correct in thinking the Vector is a good deal at $9000?   I don't think this includes the Ozonator and I might want to upgrade the steps. 

Lastly, do you think a small woman (5'2", 120 lb) can manage the cover on the Vector well enough by herself?   The cover being offered is the one you lift and slide, not the one with the big hydraulic handle. 

Thanks again for all your help.  I'm sorry I have so many questions but this is a big purchase for our family and I want to try to make the wisest choice that I can.

If my staff doesn't respond within a couple hours or by the next morning if we are closed then we have a long talk about that.  A dealer who wants your business should respond quick.  Vector with what's included is a good deal.  Which cover lifter and steps is he including at that price?

spamom50

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2016, 06:54:54 pm »
Thanks again for all the input.  I really do appreciate everything that was posted. 

The Vector comes with the cover that you lift up half way and slide by hand.   I'm small, so he suggested that I push it off the side of the tub by stepping inside the tub.  He says that the hydraulic lifter can have problems down the line.  The steps aren't the ones that come matching the tub.  I think they're a generic step, or maybe a less expensive Marquis version.  He said it would be an extra $250 to get the nicer step.  Ozone is included and so is delivery and install.  So the total cost for all this would be $9250 if I got the nice steps. 

I like the Vector for the larger size and the stronger, bigger jets.  But the head rests are definitely not as comfortable to me as the Vanto. 

Another Vanto dealer gave me a quote today. He's very keen to make the sale. Bye quoted me $7,600 for everything (tub, cover, pro lift III, ozone, delivery and installation, Eco Tech steps).  He also said a "sub-panel" is included but I don't know what that is. 

My gut actually tells me to go with the Vanto (I have no idea why).  But the Marquis dealer has been so kind and accommodating and is trying to make the Vector an affordable option for us.  I guess I've talked about the Vector a lot because I appreciate the dealer's efforts and I am concerned that if we get the Vanto, I'll be regretting that I didn't get the larger tub at the great price.  Also, another thought is that the Vanto model has been around for a while.  The Vector is new and I can't find a single review online about it.  I don't know how reliable the Vector model will be. 

To the person who kindly commented that the Vector is a good price, Does the Vector still stack up as a good deal, based on the type of cover and steps that are offered?  And is the Vanto quote a good one?

Thanks again:)

spamom50

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2016, 07:06:20 pm »
Ps. I really think that original Vanto dealer isn't interested in this sale.  I'm glad you told me that dealers get back to a potential customer within a few hours or the next day.  I'll take his non-response as an indication to move on. 

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2016, 09:24:56 pm »
The vector is new but marquis has been around for 35 years. The only difference on that tub is its a new shape. Everything else is the same on the tub as they have been doing for a number of years. Only you know what the perfect tub is for you. I'm not sure the cover lifter on the vector you are explaining. The package price on the vanto seems reasonable as well. Have you tried both or either?

spamom50

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2016, 09:52:27 pm »
Thanks, Hottubguy.  I've tried both of them - last week.  The Vanto was comfortable.  Jets nice.  Roomy enough for our kids right now.  We were going to go with the Vanto.  My favorite spa was the Euphoria but it's double the price of the Vanto, so we were going to go with our 2nd choice. 

Then the Marquis dealer suggested we consider the Vector.  He saw how much the kids and I liked being in the Euphoria, knew we couldn't afford it and said that maybe the Vector would be good for us.  He didn't suggest it originally because he assumed it would be too big for us, based on the fact that I originally went in to try out the E-750.   (Even though the E-750 and the Vanto are practically the same size, the E-750 felt way too cramped inside compared with the Vanto.  That's when I asked if I could jump into their Euphoria, which was already filled.)

So we thought we were set with the Vanto, and now this new option of the Vector has become available.  Both sound like great tubs and I thank you for pointing out that the Vector has been around for a while, just shaped differently.  It is a super cool looking tub, by the way. 

Hottubguy, if you were to pick one of these two tubs for your family - space and price not being a problem - which would you choose?   The only negative comparing comfort levels was that I didn't think the Vector headrests were all that comfortable.  The Vanto ones were.   Beyond that, both were both very comfortable to me. 

In terms of quality and warranty, is one tub significantly better than the other?

Ps.  I guess the cover that I'm being offered is the standard one that comes with the Vector. 

Thanks again for chiming in.  I know it seems like I'm overthinking this, but it's such a big decision for us as a family. 

MarKee

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2016, 10:06:06 pm »
If you're thinking the Marquis V94, you might go to the dealer and tell them you're looking at the Caldera because of the price, and see if there is anything more that they can do. Sometimes paying with cash/heck or certain credit cards can help versus financing or paying with an American Express. Like Hottubguy said, it's the same exact pumps, heater, and most of the components that they put in the more expensive Euphoria and Epic models.  So although it's a new model, the "guts" are tried and true, so you've got nothing to worry about.

One thing that might be a little nicer with the V94 is the geyser jet and the extra size for in the summer time. You can lower the temperature to swimming pool temp in the summer and your kids can swim around and play in the geyser.  When we have people try that model in the showroom, kids seem to love playing around with that center geyser jet.

Best of luck in your search!

MarKee

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2016, 10:14:16 pm »
Also, to answer your question on the price. I know there are some dealers charging $10,000-$11,000 for the V94 so that is a good deal considering you're getting cover lift and steps included around $9000.  Even though it's a good price, you may talk to the salesperson and see if he can ask the manager or owner to see if there is any more wiggle room. 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2016, 10:14:16 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42