What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Installation quote.  (Read 3165 times)

jmk1234

Installation quote.
« on: September 06, 2016, 03:04:10 pm »
Got first installation quote and it was 975.  I think this price is hella steep for what i think needs to be done. The biggest I have right now is the 5ft rule.  I will take a picture and post it here. But the guy also told me the wire that is currently in place shouldn't be used and I am only guessing its because he thinks I will just buy all new wires from him. He says that they are only rated for 55 amps into a 60 amp breaker. I don't get it. I am only going out on a guess here is that they will make no money because it is essentially something I can do on my own so they are throwing a line out to see if I will bite. I feel that they are just trying to screw me like they do in the auto mechanic shops to non inclined auto people.  I am trying to get more estimates and see what other electricians are saying, but they seem uninterested after i tell them the nature of the project

Hot Tub Forum

Installation quote.
« on: September 06, 2016, 03:04:10 pm »

BullFrogSpasMN

Re: Installation quote.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 03:51:34 pm »
$975 is def. not uncommon for an electrical run, I see prices from $500 - $1,000 all the time.  It's on you to determine if he's being fair or not, I've always been a do it right or do it twice kind of guy and I certainly would never "skimp" on electrical especially something minor like replacing old wiring, unless that is you don't mind shoddy, old cracked wiring that is attached to your own home? Maybe call a couple other electricians with the details (length of run, new wire needed, 60 amp GFI panel, etc.) and they may be able to give you a rough quote over the phone to see if the first guy is in the ballpark but again a $975 is def. not out of the ordinary based on what I've seen

jmk1234

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 05:03:15 pm »
I just had an electrician come and give another estimate and get a 2nd opinion. Now he inspected the setup that is already there and said there was nothing that he needed to do. The wires were good. He charged a supposed one time 59 dollar dispatch fee but said there is no reason for him to be here. I don't think he would say this because he is taking money out of his own pockets. He pretty much confirmed my suspicion that I should just have to run the wires that I just disconnected from the existing hot tub.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 05:37:57 pm »
What kind of hot tub was there before and what kind is there now?

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 12:19:35 am »
Or perhaps the second guy, had no idea what he was looking at and potentially getting into, and just wanted to get outa there.

If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

jmk1234

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 02:08:00 am »
What kind of hot tub was there before and what kind is there now?

Right now is a reflections spa(no clue who they are) with a 3 wire 240V 60 amp hook up. The tub I am getting in replacement is a jacuzzi J-335 which will utilize the same 3 wire hook up.

JacuzziJack

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 09:36:23 am »
If there's any wire sticking out (or even back at the box), you should be able to look at the jacket ans see what the size/rating is. He might be right on being too small. Does his price include supplying a GFCI? You should be able to estimate the electricals cost pretty closely by adding 25% to the materials needed, then labor x labor rate. Some guys include the time it takes to go get materials in their labor. I don't know what the wire run looks like or your local labor rates, it could be 1/2 day, or maybe a day job. Any electrician who's smart is going to shoot a little higher on the # of hours because these jobs always seem to take longer than they seem.

A few more quotes will let you know if the guy is in the ballpark. Some guys will shoot a high a high number out there if they're really busy, or aren't that interested in a certain job.

Good luck

jmk1234

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 05:36:43 am »
If there's any wire sticking out (or even back at the box), you should be able to look at the jacket ans see what the size/rating is. He might be right on being too small. Does his price include supplying a GFCI? You should be able to estimate the electricals cost pretty closely by adding 25% to the materials needed, then labor x labor rate. Some guys include the time it takes to go get materials in their labor. I don't know what the wire run looks like or your local labor rates, it could be 1/2 day, or maybe a day job. Any electrician who's smart is going to shoot a little higher on the # of hours because these jobs always seem to take longer than they seem.

A few more quotes will let you know if the guy is in the ballpark. Some guys will shoot a high a high number out there if they're really busy, or aren't that interested in a certain job.

Good luck

I have disconnected the wires from the reflections spa so they can just take it when they come to deliver the new tub. The tub sits about 6 feet from the house and around 5.5 feet from the breaker. I would say theres roughly 15 ft of wire that is in that current spot.  The current draw according to the J-300 manual is 45 amps.

I have talked to several trades people who are friends and family, not necessarily electricians but in this kind of business and they are saying that electricians don't want to take on this kind of job because there is no "money" in it because all they have to do is run the wire back to the new tub. I think what I am going to do is run the wires myself and have someone come out and inspect. I would pay the " dispatch fee" if thats possible. This has been a pain in the a$$ mainly because I think I am already thinking people are out to screw me over.  I will take pictures of my situation and post them here.

Thanks guys

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 05:36:43 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42