What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Follow on Wet test  (Read 4775 times)

r100rs

• A real BMW only has 2 wheels!
Follow on Wet test
« on: July 27, 2004, 02:55:51 am »
This is suppose to supplement the Post by Buckeye from the 3 weeks ago.  Our wet test came alot sooner than planned but we are not unhappy we did it.  If there ever is a job opening for a Hot Tub Wet Tester, I hope I get it.  What a way to spend a day!!! ;D

We (the wife and I plus 2 of our kids -  if anybody wants them let me know, LOL) wet tested the Optima, Bahia, J-365,  Artesians' Emerald and Piper Glen, and the Vantage and Cygnus 2009 from Emerald Spas.  
We ran out of time to test some others. Work just gets in the way sometimes. >:(

Just like Buckeye stated and I agree with him on the Sundance and the Jacuzzi. The J-365 seems to be a wonderful tub, I had no major concerns, it felt great and I would have no problem if that is what I end up with.

We then tried the Artesians.  The Piper Glen was very, very nice.  Controls laid out logically. Even with 5 pumps (basically each corner seat has its own pump), you weren't blown out of the seats.  I just felt it was overkill.

The Artesian Emerald IMO is a better value than the Piper Glen.  The seats were just as comfortable.  In fact we liked them better than the Jacuzzi.  The one feature we really liked was the lighted footwell.  The lights were on the footdome pointing upwards. A big plus going into the tub at night. Even with less jets than the Piper Glen, the effects on you were equally as good.  

I would have liked to have tried the Huron Bay or the Opal, but none were available.

Overall so far the Emerald would win over the Jacuzzi.

We tried CalSpas, just because we could and the kids wanted to.  Let,s just say, we were not impressed. :P

The next stop was Emerald Spas. We liked them 100% more than CalSpas.  We tried their Vantage model (top of the line).  The captains chair was awesome, but didn't care for the head support in the lounger. Water pressure and jet adjustments/placements were good.

We then tried the Cygnus 2009. All seats were comfortable.  Didn't care for the footdome, 1) the person using the seat to the left of the captains chair had an awkward foot position, 2) I feel this had more to do with the dark color shell and were it was physically located more than anything else. We couldn't tell footwell depth very well and with the footdome being the design it was, one tended to step on the dome, thinking they were on the bottom, and suddenly sliding the last little bit.  Boy that's an eye opener.  :o

Also their so called waterfall lacked pressure.

Overall, Emeralds appear to be quality spas. The towel warmer compartment is pretty nice and does a good job. A stereo is available if you want it.  The warranty is in-line with other makers.  They also offer octagon and one with a notched corner for those interested.  Personally if I had to rate them, I feel they would be number 7 or 8 out of the top 10.

We then went to the Sundance/Sweetwater dealer.

We tried the Bahia and enjoyed it just as much as the J-365.  The only real concern was the footwell didn't seem deep enough as compared to the J-365, but we are all longed legged people.  The Bahia is a very capable spa that is overall at least equal to the J-365.

After reading all the reviews about the Optima, we got to wet test one.  Kind of like going to the Ferrari showroom,  even if you never sit in it, you know you want one in your driveway.  I can tell you after sitting in it, the comments the other individuals made, are 100% correct.  - PERIOD -  This made the top of the list.  We really liked how easy it was to swap the jets around.

Then other benefits that CalicoskiesNC stated are very accurate. (IMO)

The only complaints I have are 1) the diverters seem noisier then others when in the mid position, 2) LED lighting would be nice, but I would prefer an additional light in the tub itself such as Artesians Emerald has,  and 3) some of the controls need to be repositioned, not logically placed. (IMO)

The Sundance dealer first offered me an Optima,with cover,lifter,steps,delivery,installation,start-up kit and $50 worth of chemicals, plus a 1 year price lock, for $7500 with at least $500 down. I had to decide by the end of July.

This was a couple days ago when we were just starting this process.  After wet testing he offered the same for $7800 when he found out what the Artesian Emerald was listed for. ???  

Seems like a very good deal.  Since we wouldn't be ready for a hottub till spring 05.  My only problem is since I work for an airline, I might be out of job soon.

Any thought,

r100rs

Hot Tub Forum

Follow on Wet test
« on: July 27, 2004, 02:55:51 am »

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
Re: Follow on Wet test
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 04:01:05 am »
A very good critique!

r100rs

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 04:53:58 am »
Forgot to add that the cd ozonator was included in the Optima offer

r100rs

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2004, 01:42:50 pm »
There would be more Sundance owners (myself included) if more Sundance dealers would price their product appropriately or Sundance would allow purchase from a dealer outside of local dealers' territories.  Take that offer and run with it.....great tub at a great price.  I ended up with a Master Spa and, now that I have it, I've found it is the perfect tub for me, but I would now be a Cameo owner if my local "Sundunce" dealer were like yours.  Just do it!
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2004, 09:09:08 am »
There would be more Sundance owners (myself included) if more Sundance dealers would price their product appropriately or Sundance would allow purchase from a dealer outside of local dealers' territories.

Now you're gonna get me started on this again. Sheeeesh. If ya don't like the price, don't buy it, continuing to complain about something you can't afford or won't pay for 'cause you don't happen to agree with the business pratices of a company is irrelevant. If you want to do something about it, open up a Sundance dealership and sell your products at the lower price that you think is fair.

Maybe DandC will buy his tub then.
;) ;D LOL!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2004, 09:10:07 am by doodoo »

dazedandconfused

• Still Negotiating ....
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2004, 09:14:56 am »
r100rs -

I would make him honor his first offer of 7500.  Why would you pay 7800 if he offered 7500 ??  This is another great example of how dealers play silly games to gain more money!   Believe me, he is making plenty of money at 7500 - you would only be giving him 300 more if you bought at 7800!

BTW - did the 7500 quote include tax?  If so, what is you tax rate?

d/c

Buckeye

• Jacuzzi J-365 Owner
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2004, 02:15:46 pm »
I'm Dazed and Confused w/ Dazed and Confused on that one.  What's up with the dealer going back and jacking up the price.  

r100rs, you're probably waterlogged after that day.

I didn't get to wet test the Bahia.  I tried a different Sweetwater tub that had a lounger in it but it lacked enough power for me.  That tub had the same two pumps, but with less jets than the Bahia version.  I figured the performance in power would be worse with more jets so I didn't bother with the Bahia.  Did you notice any drop in jet power/pressure between the Bahia and the J-365?  Just curious.

Buckeye

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2004, 04:22:16 pm »
Now you're gonna get me started on this again. Sheeeesh. If ya don't like the price, don't buy it, continuing to complain about something you can't afford or won't pay for 'cause you don't happen to agree with the business pratices of a company is irrelevant. If you want to do something about it, open up a Sundance dealership and sell your products at the lower price that you think is fair.

Maybe DandC will buy his tub then.
 ;) ;D LOL!

Well, doodoohead, I didn't like the price and I did buy another tub.  Glad to see your world is perfect........
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

r100rs

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2004, 12:32:36 am »
Thanks for the replies.  

I wish that price included tax!  With tax I'll be under 8k.

When we started this process of looking and getting information from various dealers.  The Sundance dealer asked me what my limit would be. I told him know more than $7500.  He bacially offered the package as stated, if I place the deposit by the end of the month.

I wish we could have tested the following, D1, Caldera and Catalina but 2-3 hours was bit far in the short notice.

So I may have to suffer with the Optima - oh well - so be it -  :o

r100rs

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2004, 09:11:57 am »

Well, doodoohead, I didn't like the price and I did buy another tub.  Glad to see your world is perfect........

I know....is'nt it great.  

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2004, 09:11:57 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42