What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Time for an upgrade?  (Read 3766 times)

JDPapas

Time for an upgrade?
« on: August 18, 2016, 09:07:32 pm »
Hello,
    First post! I would love to get everyone's advice on what I should do.
I currently have a 19 year old Clearwater Elite 8100 (dimensions 88" x 88" x 34").  I recently discovered a leak, causing the tub to drop down8 inches below the fill line after 1 day, but then maintaining the same level after that.  I called my local hot tub store to service it, and when they came out to look at it 3 weeks later, they deemed the area inaccessible after a 3 minute inspection (it is built fully recessed into the deck, with only one side easily accessible), but still charged me over $150 for the drive out and "30 min" of labor (which I obviously wasn't happy about).

In any case, they did recommend to replace the hot tub, rather than continue to pour money into saving it (and also offered me a $250 discount if I buy from their store in the next 6 months)

So, now I'm considering buying a for a hot tub, and I am overwhelmed by the number of brands, features, and options that are available, and wanted to solicit some of your opinions on what I should be considering, as each store calls their hot tubs the best, for obvious reasons.

We are a family of 7 (2 grandparents, my wife and I, and 3 kids, aged 7, 4, and newborn). I'm the tallest of the bunch at 5'9".  We currently don't use the current hot tub that often (maybe a few times a month), but that might change if we get something that really works for us.

We're currently looking at the J-245, the J-345, or the Hot Springs Flair, or Relay, (largely because their dimensions of 84" x 84" x 36" will fit in the existing hot tub's location), but there may be other brands/models I should be considering.

Thanks for your help!

Hot Tub Forum

Time for an upgrade?
« on: August 18, 2016, 09:07:32 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Time for an upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 11:24:52 am »
We're currently looking at the J-245, the J-345, or the Hot Springs Flair, or Relay, (largely because their dimensions of 84" x 84" x 36" will fit in the existing hot tub's location), but there may be other brands/models I should be considering.

Thanks for your help!

There are multiple good brands to choose from and comparison shopping is always the way to go so with that my long list of good spa makers would include Arctic, Artesian, Bullfrog, Caldera, Hot Spring, Jacuzzi, Marquis and Sundance. You can go to their websites and enter your zip code to see who may be local to your area.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 12:08:10 pm »
Are you sure you want a Lounge?
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

dlleno

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 02:29:00 pm »
Welcome to the forum!  I'd agree with the assessment that you wouldn't want to dump more money into a leaking 19-year old spa. Id also agree with the above question "do you want a lounge?".  Certainly if you have used them before and like them, by all means seek out what meets your needs, but I'll just point out that my wife and I thought we wanted a lounge until we wet tested...  Especially for guests and grand kids  I like a more open seating arrangement that allows a fair amount of movement.   not sure of the budget constraints but I'll just throw out I find the  Hot Spring grandee to be a wonderful seating layout for multiple uses -- its not specialized, has no lounge, facilitates both kids play and adult conversations.  Moto massage isn't for everyone so consider that

JDPapas

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 05:32:06 pm »
Not 100% on the lounge, just like a bit of variety.
Our current hot tub has one, and aren't sure we'd like to go without.

Budget isn't a huge concern, but we do have the existing space in the deck which accommodates up to 88" x 88" x 36" hot tub, so that's the bigger concern.
The Grandee looks nice, but unfortunately is too big for the space.

One suggestion that the hot tub technician said when he checked out the leak is that I should consider moving the hot tub up and out of the hole in the deck it's in now, as 3 sides are currently inaccessible for service. While I recognize it would be a shame to get a new hot tub in only to have it leak in a few years and need to tear up the deck to fix it, I do like the current location (privacy, aesthetics), and not sure I want to make the change.

dlleno

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 10:28:05 pm »
don't blame you but let me offer my story...  my first spa was installed that way and I ended up ditching that approach simply because it was too easy for leaves and dirt to accumulate around the spa and cause problems.  I blessed and released that spa due to rot that had accumulated precisely because of that installation. so now I'm no longer a fan of that. But I hear you on the convenience and if you can solve the dirt/organic accumulation problem with a good design then you'll probably be better off than I was. 

yea I just mentioned the Grandee as an example of an open layout.  hope you find what you're looking for

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 07:30:33 am »
If you go back to the dealer that serviced your current tub, get at least a $400 discount :)
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 07:30:33 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42