What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Caldera vs other brands  (Read 16089 times)

simonsez1

Caldera vs other brands
« on: August 19, 2016, 09:09:42 am »
I started posting my hot tub buying journey by adding my views in another thread but thought I should stop hijacking it.

So our budget is anywhere between 9k to 12k and we’re looking for a 6-7 persons with open seating. Based on my research it seems that there are 5 brands that consistently get mentioned here for being a quality tub: Bullfrog, Hot Springs, Marquis, Sundance and Jacuzzi. Did I miss any?

So far we soaked in a Marquis Euphoria and Vector21 as well as a Sundance Chelsee and Optima.  We liked both the Euphoria and the Chelsee best (Optima is out of our price range) so far.

Both the Jacuzzi (J385) and Hot Springs (Vanguard and Pulse) looked nice but were also out of our price range.  Bullfrog dealers are just too far for us.

Since this is a significant investment we decided to take a look at other brands to make sure that we look at all options.  Another local dealer sells Caldera, we haven’t done a wet test yet but we did like both the Niagara and the Salina, the quotes we got were the best so far.

Caldera does not get mentioned often here, I know it’s a Watkins tub so kind of a sister to Hot Springs but I get the feeling that HS is the Cadillac and the Caldera is a Toyota.

Any opinions on the brand?  Long-term quality? Can they be in the same discussion as the “top 5”?

I appreciate any feedback.

Hot Tub Forum

Caldera vs other brands
« on: August 19, 2016, 09:09:42 am »

mpkelley20

Re: Caldera vs other brands
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 10:02:14 am »
Based on what I see, it is on par with Hot springs and others.  I found a marketing thing online that was done for Watkins at trying to distinguish between HS and Caldera and it came down to just words.  Basically focusing on best experience for HS and most holistic for Caldera.

I am curious on pricing you got on pulse.  I was told $10K so that would seem in your price range.

Right now, I am waiting to look at several Marquis (Promise and Vector 94).  And I am still considering a Caldera (Salina).  If I don't like those for some reason, I will go back and recheck the Pulse.  I agree on Optima, great tub but too expensive.

htnj

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 10:54:45 am »
I was actually of the opposite impression that Caldera was the premium Hot Springs; with maybe the exception of the HS Grandee line.
I have an Artesian Pelican Bay spa.

I looked at all the same brands you did and it was certainly of the same caliber. 
The Island Spas made by Artesian are actually really really nice with a lot more features for the same price point as HS.

All 3 HS dealers I went to made it seem like that was the only brand and nothing else mattered and was inferior to HS in every way. But while actually looking at the different brands, the differences were negligible.   I also found huge price differences of the same tub at different dealers.

I paid 13,999 for my Pelican Bay with just about every option there is except the best stereo (mine was going in the deck and the upgraded stereo has cabinet speakers that would've been below the deck.)

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 11:24:18 am »
There are multiple good brands to choose from and comparison shopping is always the way to go so with that my long list of good spa makers would include Arctic, Artesian, Bullfrog, Caldera, Hot Spring, Jacuzzi, Marquis and Sundance.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 12:11:04 pm »
As you know, Caldera is made by Watkins, just as Hot Spring is.  It is most similar to Limelight series, although Utopia has a unique look now.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Sam

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 12:49:33 pm »
Yeah, Caldera is a notch below the top offerings by Hot Spring, Jacuzzi, Sundance, Artesian, and Bullfrog, in my opinion.  They are less expensive for a reason.  That's not to say that they aren't good quality.  They certainly aren't poor quality.  Watkins brought them on as a lower to upper mid tier line for their portfolio to my understanding. 

mpkelley20

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 06:41:18 pm »
Based on pricing I'm getting, caldera spas are not cheaper than HS. Depending on which line and size, they are pretty close in price. From what I read, the major differences are how the seats are shaped. I'm sure some pump and filter stuff is different but I don't think it makes one any better than the other.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 08:25:07 pm »
Based on pricing I'm getting, caldera spas are not cheaper than HS. Depending on which line and size, they are pretty close in price. From what I read, the major differences are how the seats are shaped. I'm sure some pump and filter stuff is different but I don't think it makes one any better than the other.

Agreed. Same with about 10 brands. Feel. Listen. Read. Look inside.
Retired

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2016, 09:48:28 pm »
Caldera is right there with any other brand. They aren't any lesser quality then a hot spring. Most components in them are almost identical throughout the lines. That's like saying because jacuzzi brought on sundance as another line that they are somehow a lesser quality tub then jacuzzi. Caldera stacks up well with any other brand of tub out there

simonsez1

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2016, 10:25:10 am »
Based on what I see, it is on par with Hot springs and others.  I found a marketing thing online that was done for Watkins at trying to distinguish between HS and Caldera and it came down to just words.  Basically focusing on best experience for HS and most holistic for Caldera.

I am curious on pricing you got on pulse.  I was told $10K so that would seem in your price range.

Right now, I am waiting to look at several Marquis (Promise and Vector 94).  And I am still considering a Caldera (Salina).  If I don't like those for some reason, I will go back and recheck the Pulse.  I agree on Optima, great tub but too expensive.

The price I got on the Pulse was about 12k but there might of been more room to move.  I'm in Canada and our dollar is quite low right now hence the higher prices.

simonsez1

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2016, 10:29:04 am »
Thank you all for the feedback, very appreciated.  I'm out of town this weekend so not too much shopping going on but I plan on wet testing the Caldera this week and will report back.

simonsez1

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2016, 10:38:10 am »
Caldera is right there with any other brand. They aren't any lesser quality then a hot spring. Most components in them are almost identical throughout the lines. That's like saying because jacuzzi brought on sundance as another line that they are somehow a lesser quality tub then jacuzzi. Caldera stacks up well with any other brand of tub out there

Hi Hottubguy,  I was told by another that you sell both Marquis and Caldera.  As you may know the Euphoria is high on my list and I plan on testing some Calderas this week. I  was curious about your thoughts on the Niagara and Salina versus the Euphoria.

Thanks!

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2016, 08:20:59 pm »

Hi Hottubguy,  I was told by another that you sell both Marquis and Caldera.  As you may know the Euphoria is high on my list and I plan on testing some Calderas this week. I  was curious about your thoughts on the Niagara and Salina versus the Euphoria.

Thanks!

Euphoria versus niagara is a good comparison. Salina is a step down in price and options. Both euphoria and niagara have sealed bottoms. Both have roughly the same amount of jets. Jet power on euphoria is better. Lighting and controls on the niagara are nicer.  Both are great tubs. Wet test them both. For what's it's worth I sell both and own a marquis. I prefer the power of the marquis tubs. The Salina doesn't have as many diverters or as good of foot jets. Does have the nice controls. Better comp to that would be the vector 94 which happens to be the most popular tub I've been selling lately. Wet test them both. Either way they are all top end great tubs. 

simonsez1

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2016, 01:03:33 am »

Thanks!

Euphoria versus niagara is a good comparison. Salina is a step down in price and options. Both euphoria and niagara have sealed bottoms. Both have roughly the same amount of jets. Jet power on euphoria is better. Lighting and controls on the niagara are nicer.  Both are great tubs. Wet test them both. For what's it's worth I sell both and own a marquis. I prefer the power of the marquis tubs. The Salina doesn't have as many diverters or as good of foot jets. Does have the nice controls. Better comp to that would be the vector 94 which happens to be the most popular tub I've been selling lately. Wet test them both. Either way they are all top end great tubs.

Thanks for taking the time to highlight the differences. I'm hoping to test the Niagara this week.

simonsez1

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2016, 09:59:10 am »
So we still haven’t wet tested the Caldera Niagara since my wife is out of town for work but I was at the dealer yesterday educating myself.

At this point I think it will come down to either a Sundance (Chelsea or Optima) or the Caldera (Niagara, Salina) due to dealer reputation and proximity. I do have a few newbie questions.

Both tout their water filtration system as being better than the other, Sundance uses Clearray (UV) and Caldera the Monarch Ozone system.

Is there, in fact, one that is better than the other?

Do they require additional costs to maintain?

Also, if the Caldera uses the Spafrog system for water care what does Sundance use? Regular chemicals? Wouldn’t there be more costs associated with the Spafrog?  Any advantages or disadvantages to either?

As always, thank you for answering these questions.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2016, 09:59:10 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42