What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Foundation dilemma  (Read 2641 times)

haxx777

Foundation dilemma
« on: August 16, 2016, 03:22:19 pm »
Hi all,
About to pull the trigger on a new J-280 hot tub, and I'm trying to figure out the most cost-effective method for the base.
Unfortunately due to limited space, overhead wires and an existing inground pool, I pretty much have 1 spot I can put it.  This spot is partially on an existing concrete slab, and partially on bare ground.

Will I have to break out a section of the slab and pour a new 8x8 area?  Or break it and do a gravel base?  Can I just do the bare ground in a gravel base as long as it's level with the slab?  I'm up in Eastern Canada so very cold winters if that makes a difference.

I'd like something that looks clean and isn't going to break the bank, but I want it to be sturdy and last as long as possible so I will pay the $$ if needed.  Open to suggestions!

Thanks,
Dan

Hot Tub Forum

Foundation dilemma
« on: August 16, 2016, 03:22:19 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Foundation dilemma
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 07:28:24 am »
Best would be concrete. Not sure on the existing half if it will support it or not. Any way to find out how it is built? This will determine if you can simply add concrete to it.
Retired

haxx777

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 09:45:09 am »
Looks to be 6 inch thick reinforced.  Would it be possible to just pour beside it and join the two slabs together, or would you need to actually break it down somewhat so it bonds properly?

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 10:56:59 am »
6" thick, you can add to it. Drill and epoxy rebar into the existing slab so it sticks out into the new slab.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 12:58:09 pm »
6" thick, you can add to it. Drill and epoxy rebar into the existing slab so it sticks out into the new slab.

Easy peasy
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 12:58:09 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42