What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Looking for open-concept, quality spa for small space  (Read 8488 times)

SpaInThe6ix

Looking for open-concept, quality spa for small space
« on: August 11, 2016, 02:16:26 pm »
I'm looking to purchase our first hot tub, and would love some advice from the knowledgeable people here on this forum! We have a number of criteria we're looking to meet, and I'm having trouble finding something that meets them all, so I thought I would ask here.

Here are our decision-making criteria thus far:

1. Space - the space the tub will be going is 96" wide. However, the tub can't take the entire space - we need to be able to get past it to the stairs to the basement and to the garden hose.

2. Quality - efficiency, good for Canadian winters, strong jets, reliable, durable etc.

3. Open-concept/comfort - I don't like feeling trapped or confined. We're looking for something where you can stretch out, but also where you can snuggle with a loved-one. It will mostly be me and my husband in the tub, but we'd also like to be able to entertain a couple of guests.

4. Looks - If I'm going to spend thousands of dollars, I don't want an ugly hot tub. It's going to take up a third of our tiny backyard, and so I want something attractive to look at. This is probably the least-important of the criteria.

5. Price - We don't have a set budget for this, but I'd like to keep it under $10,000 CAD all in, and well under that if possible. Maybe around $8000 as an upper end.

I've started looking, and have been to a few dealers. Whenever we mention the space issue, they direct us to the plug-and-play models. When we visited the Arctic Spa dealer, they recommended a Freeflow, and when we visited Jacuzzi, they recommended a Nordic.  The Freeflow Azure actually looks like it might be a good option - it's more open concept than a lot of others that have seriously-molded seats, and it fits our space perfectly, with a nice path to the stairs/hose. Plus, the price is great at $4700 CAD, and I've seen good reviews here of Freeflow. However, they wouldn't let me wet-test it, so I'm concerned that the jets won't be powerful. Plus, the material is really ugly. We'll build our own surround to make it a little nicer, but it really looks like a budget tub.

The one tub that really drew me appearance-wise was the Bullfrog Stil. I love the clean, modern lines. I love the simplicity of the design - open rectangle with loungers at the end, so you can stretch out, but also cuddle or entertain. At 7' wide, it will fit in the space, but only leave us 12" to squeeze past to the stairs/hose.  I looked at Bullfrog at a show last year, and the dealer I talked to was argumentative and unpleasant, so I didn't end up getting details or a quote.

http://www.bullfrogspas.com/blog/introducing-stil-modern-hot-tub/

Can anyone recommend a tub I might not have seen? Does someone make a modern, open tub like the Bullfrog Stil, but a little smaller? Or is there something open, small, but not as modern? Is the Freeflow a good option, despite the fact that I'm not actively shopping for a budget hot tub?

Thanks so much!!

Hot Tub Forum

Looking for open-concept, quality spa for small space
« on: August 11, 2016, 02:16:26 pm »

scoobywagon02

Re: Looking for open-concept, quality spa for small space
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 04:36:03 pm »
You need to understand that the Freeflow Azure is 110v/220v convertible. That means that you can directly plug the spa into a 15 amp outlet or hard wire the tub for 220v. If you are looking for strong jets then you need to look else ware. It is a great little hot tub but it most likely wont fulfill you needs based on what you are saying. Can you run a 220v line or are you only looking for 110v spas?

cindyleigh

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 04:38:51 pm »
Perfect timing since I am looking for something similar! 

Also, noise is a factor because it will be a bit close to my neighbor's kitchen window.

I am seriously considering the Marquis Spirit.  Also interested in the Dimension One Triad and the Hot Spring Jetsetter.

Not sure how cramped these will be for the occasional guests (so 4 adults total).

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 04:46:24 pm »
Perfect timing since I am looking for something similar! 

Also, noise is a factor because it will be a bit close to my neighbor's kitchen window.

I am seriously considering the Marquis Spirit.  Also interested in the Dimension One Triad and the Hot Spring Jetsetter.

Not sure how cramped these will be for the occasional guests (so 4 adults total).

When noise is an issue (typically due to proximity to a house or maybe when on a deck) then you are best to get a spa that uses a circ pump for filtering as opposed to one that uses the main jet pump for filtering. As you go through this ask the dealers how the filtration works and it will be one of those two methods.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 04:48:18 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

scoobywagon02

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 05:08:40 pm »
I am not sure how "friendly" you are with these guest but 4 people in any of those spa is going to be really tight. Previous poster is correct  you will need something a circulation pump in order to get the noise down. The Jetsetter is a really quiet spa but there is no way you are fitting 4 people in there. Three people depending on size may even be a stretch.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 05:23:27 pm »
I am not sure how "friendly" you are with these guest but 4 people in any of those spa is going to be really tight. Previous poster is correct  you will need something a circulation pump in order to get the noise down. The Jetsetter is a really quiet spa but there is no way you are fitting 4 people in there. Three people depending on size may even be a stretch.

I agree, all 3 spas mentioned are good but they're all really more like 3 person spas unless you don't mind playing footsie.

Spa specs seem to exaggerate by 1 when stating # of occupants its designed for so if you want a spa that fits 4 then get one that says it fits 5!!

SpaInThe6ix

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 05:25:24 pm »
You need to understand that the Freeflow Azure is 110v/220v convertible. That means that you can directly plug the spa into a 15 amp outlet or hard wire the tub for 220v. If you are looking for strong jets then you need to look else ware. It is a great little hot tub but it most likely wont fulfill you needs based on what you are saying. Can you run a 220v line or are you only looking for 110v spas?

Yes, we're able to run a 220v line. The reason that these dealers have been recommending the plug-and-play models is because they don't have anything else that's either small enough or doesn't have the crazy-molded seats. We also already have concrete at the spot, so that's not an issue either.

Will the Freeflow jets be stronger with the 220v?

Alternately, are there any other not-so-molded small hot tubs I should be looking at? I sat in the Nordic Retreat, and while I loved the bench concept, when I sat in the molded "bucket" seat, I felt like there was nowhere to put my elbows.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 05:50:00 pm by SpaInThe6ix »

cindyleigh

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 05:39:08 pm »
Okay, well it sounds like I may need to revise my list since I do want to fit 4 with ease ...even though 95% of the time it will be just DH and I.

So, any suggestions for a 4-5 person spa?

scoobywagon02

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2016, 05:54:19 pm »
How much space are we working with? Can you run a 220v spa? Budget?

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2016, 05:57:22 pm »
Okay, well it sounds like I may need to revise my list since I do want to fit 4 with ease ...even though 95% of the time it will be just DH and I.

So, any suggestions for a 4-5 person spa?

The obvious first step would be to go to the websites for those 3 models you like and look at their next size up but it really depends on just how much space you will want/need between the spa and the wall.

cindyleigh

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2016, 07:02:16 pm »

I can run 220v.  No real budget limit - just don't want more that we need.  I love my garden and don't want to remove more than I need.

The obvious first step would be to go to the websites for those 3 models you like and look at their next size up but it really depends on just how much space you will want/need between the spa and the wall.

For the Marquis the next size up is the Mirage - which is very curvy.  I did see it in the showroom and other than the odd shape, it looked nice.  I think I will have to see it again and sit in it with my husband ....along with the Spirit ...and image where we'd put two other people. I was quoted $600 more for that model.  All other things being equal - cost to maintain, time to heat up - maybe the extra space is worth the money.  I'm just not crazy about the shape.

For the Hot Spring, the Aria and Prodigy are both considerably larger and square. I'll check out a Hot Spring dealer in person tomorrow.  I think these are both larger than we really need.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2016, 07:42:26 pm »

I can run 220v.  No real budget limit - just don't want more that we need.  I love my garden and don't want to remove more than I need.

For the Marquis the next size up is the Mirage - which is very curvy.  I did see it in the showroom and other than the odd shape, it looked nice.  I think I will have to see it again and sit in it with my husband ....along with the Spirit ...and image where we'd put two other people. I was quoted $600 more for that model.  All other things being equal - cost to maintain, time to heat up - maybe the extra space is worth the money.  I'm just not crazy about the shape.

For the Hot Spring, the Aria and Prodigy are both considerably larger and square. I'll check out a Hot Spring dealer in person tomorrow.  I think these are both larger than we really need.

A 220V tub will heat faster and generally have more power, better feel, have more power adjustment options. I think it cost less to operate also but the math says they should be about the same. Maybe better pump longevity also in a 220V version.
Retired

cindyleigh

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2016, 07:57:35 pm »
A 220V tub will heat faster and generally have more power, better feel, have more power adjustment options. I think it cost less to operate also but the math says they should be about the same. Maybe better pump longevity also in a 220V version.

Thanks.  I think that is probably the best option because faster heat up and jet power are the two things I care about most.

Things I don't care about: waterfalls, sound system, aromatherapy module, lights (but the LED lights do look cool).

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2016, 07:58:49 pm »
Check out a Marquis 435 with the 2 pump option. Should be able to stay in budget and it's a comfortable tub for 4 people

SpaInThe6ix

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2016, 08:16:56 pm »
Check out a Marquis 435 with the 2 pump option. Should be able to stay in budget and it's a comfortable tub for 4 people

That tub looks really good! I love the "love seat" for cuddling, plus the Adirondack chair with leg jets. And it leaves us 19" clearance to get to the hose/stairs. I'm going to go hunt down a marquis dealer!

The website doesn't say anything about a two-pump option... Can you tell me more?

(And on an unrelated note - my posts seem to take forever to be moderated compared to the amount of discussion happening on this thread. Is that because I'm new?)

Edit: Ha! This one posted without any wait at all! :)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2016, 08:16:56 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42