What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: pump sounds like a stuck stick welder  (Read 2345 times)

lserd.oldrp

pump sounds like a stuck stick welder
« on: August 08, 2016, 09:41:10 pm »
The spa is a 2001 Sundance capri 850 series the main pump will not stay engaged weather it's manually started or done by cycles. after replacing many parts the spa "was" running great for a few days (3) when I just happen to be walking by the spa when the automatic cycle started to engaged. I've done a lot of stick welding and that is what the noise and rumbling sounded like hummb, hummb. like when the rod sticks. I new something was terribly wrong so i hit the jet pump engagement button and it stopped. About 20 seconds passed and the pump again tried to engage, then a relay is heard click once and pump shuts off. So with the side panels still removed i observed the pump, sure enough it is spinning. so pump and motor is not locked up sounds like it, but it's not. Wait about 25-30 seconds for the next automatic cycle engagement and about 8"-12" of a burst of water is seen coming from the jets. This will just continue every 25-30 seconds an attempt to engage pump until the jet button is pushed to clear.

New parts:
-Primary filter
-Secondary filter
-Start capacitor
-Run capacitor
-Circulation pump
-Flow sensor
-All new jets "plastic flaking badly"
           Maybe this problem can be fixed. thank you

Hot Tub Forum

pump sounds like a stuck stick welder
« on: August 08, 2016, 09:41:10 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: pump sounds like a stuck stick welder
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 07:08:21 am »
Sounds like the pump is shot.
Retired

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 12:41:34 pm »
Or at least the bearings...and likely the shaft seal.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

lserd.oldrp

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 03:06:52 pm »
Thanks for some input. I had thought of seizing also. but, i have my doubts. the spa has little time on it for it's age. I took the pump out of the tub when replacing the start&run capacitor, and pulled the front housing and cleaned and inspected it, looked great, smooth rotation. So i'm bringing home the temperature gun and a switch. Going to pull the pump off and open it re-inspection. pull wires off the circuit board and run the pump and observe for noise,heat & smoke. The 3-4 years it has been sitting this time, i keep thinking maybe? something has built a nest on the back side of the circuit board? wasp,spider, ect. Maybe to short circuit the board out?
               Thanks again

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 04:49:49 pm »
Sitting is worse on pumps than running.
Retired

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 11:57:36 am »
If you run the pump without water in it, you'll destroy the shaft seal and possibly the entire pump. If you can manually spin it, and it feels and sound fine, something else is going on. Is this a 2 speed pump? If it is, there may be an electrical issue with the controller and power is being sent to both the hi and low speed  simultaneously. This would cause a horrific noise and overheating leading to shutting down rather quickly.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 11:57:36 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42