What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Best Way To Sound Proof? Reduce Noise?  (Read 22678 times)

CoolOne43

Best Way To Sound Proof? Reduce Noise?
« on: July 27, 2004, 01:34:27 pm »
I recently bought a beautiful 8X8 spa that got delivered yesterday.  The location of the spa is only 10 feet from my neighbors' house (California homes are very close together) and I would like for it to be as quiet as possible for them.  I will be extending my 6 ft fence another 2 ft (for a total of 8 ft) and bought to "Cover Valet" which will keep the cover between the spa and fence while we are in the spa.  I have also committed to them that we would not be in the spa or run the heater/filter between 10pm-8am.  Is there any additional soundproofing I can do to cut down on the noise (besides whispering  ;D) when the jets are on? It is fairly quiet with just the heater/filter on and I don't want to put up a gazebo because I want to be able to look up at the sky at night (and I don't think it would cut down on the noise any).  Any insight would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

Best Way To Sound Proof? Reduce Noise?
« on: July 27, 2004, 01:34:27 pm »

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
Re: Best Way To Sound Proof? Reduce Noise?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 01:49:13 pm »
Wow.....10 p.m. to 8 a.m.?  Really?  That is the BEST time to be in the tub.  Sorry I can't offer any suggestions beyond considering some type of landscaping (hedge?).  But to consider cutting down on your own tub time?  NO WAY.  That's a hefty investment--24/7 access should not be an issue--period.  Good luck.
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 02:04:58 pm »
Before an answer can be given we need to know:
What make and model of Tub do you have?
What kind of foundation does your Spa sit on?

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2004, 03:41:14 pm »
Our spa is 30' to 50' away from our neighbors, but out of curiousity, I turned on the pumps and stereo to the usual level and went over to each neighbor (We get along with both really well) and asked to enter their house to see if we could hear any noise from our spa.
Did this windows open and again windows closed.
Maybe you could conduct a similar experiment.
Also, invite your neighbors to use the tub with you occasionally.  
Brewman
Brewman

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2004, 04:10:22 pm »
Do you neighbors have AC?  Our spa is 2 feet from my daughter's window.  We usually have the air on, or if not, she is running her ceiling fan. The only time she can hear the spa is if the pumps are on high.

In the summer there is no night sky to see from 8 am to 10pm :)

I like Brewman's idea of seeing what it sounds like from your neighbors house, if your social with them. (I've had neighbors that this tactic would just give them ideas)

Whats inside your neighbor's house facing your spa? One more thing to keep in mind, pump and motor noises tend to blend in with other ambient sounds, but voices in the spa really carry.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2004, 04:25:23 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

brian_tr

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2004, 06:24:38 pm »
I have the same problem.  I have a Sundance Cameo and when I used it late a night I would see my neighbors light come on so I knew I was waking her.  Her house is about 20'.  I am a night person and would love to be able to use spa late but out of curiousity I do not use it from 10 - 7.  Same with my home theater.  Sucks living close to neighbors.  

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2004, 07:47:04 pm »
What's the spa sitting on? Concrete? A wooden deck?

Story time :-)

Years ago we did an installation for a VP of a MAJOR software company in SF. One of the most amazing homes I've seen. The tub was built out on a deck some 60' off the ground, supported on steel I beams that ran the entire length of the house (from foundation to foundation). The whole thing was precisely engineered so that when the tub was filled with water the I beams bowed down so the top of the tub was perfectly level with the deck (they bowed over 4"). Anyway, a week after it was complete the guy calls me telling me his neighbors are complaining about the noise. No problem, the equipment was in his basement up against the neighbors wall (home in SF are right up against each other). Figured putting everything on a 1/4" rubber mat would do the trick, so we put in on a 1/2". The darn thing was DEAD silent. A JOB WELL DONE!

right........ 3 days later.... neighbors still complaining about the hot tub noise..... OK, well? the plumbing runs through a few walls, lets line the holes through the walls with rubber and suspend the plumbing in the middle of that.... oooooooooooo, that's quieter, not that it made much noise before....... A JOB WELL DONE!

Sureeeeeeeee.... neighbors still complaining about the hot tub noise ........ well? I guess we can get a crane out here, lift the tub and put some rubber underneath. That's GOT to solve this once and for all. BIG cranes are so cool. Everybody wants to see what the heck is going on..... even the guys neighbors, who asked what we were doing.

"Oh, well you see, we're lifting this hot tub and putting rubber matting underneath so the noise doesn't bother you"

neighbors - "Hot tub? Bill got a hot tub? When?" Well THAT explains it! We couldn't figure out why he was always out on his deck loudly "propositioning" all these women"
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

CoolOne43

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2004, 08:11:04 pm »
Thanks for the ideas so far.  The spa is a Phoenix Coronado and is sitting on pea gravel with a wooden frame around the edges (it is in located in a garden, I didn't want concrete in that part of the yard).  I think that once we get the permanent cover (it is a loaner until the Cover Valet comes in ), it might cut down on any noise.  I don't think it will be an issue when the weather gets cooler -- they will shut the window closest to the spa then -- but everyone has their windows open right now.  Good to know that voices carry more than the ambiant noise of the jets.  How about if I put a rubber mat between the spa and the fence (there is enough space...)?

Constance

• I love my Bahia
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2004, 09:34:15 pm »
Dear CoolOne
How do you like your Phoenix?  have you had any trouble with it?  I'm looking at the Phoenix Cortez or Mesa.  I have limited space on my deck. OH I just noticed you just got it yesterday!!  Did you get good references on the tub?
Connie

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2004, 12:24:53 am »
What's the spa sitting on? Concrete? A wooden deck?

Story time :-)

Years ago we did an installation for a VP of a MAJOR software company in SF. One of the most amazing homes I've seen. The tub was built out on a deck some 60' off the ground, supported on steel I beams that ran the entire length of the house (from foundation to foundation). The whole thing was precisely engineered so that when the tub was filled with water the I beams bowed down so the top of the tub was perfectly level with the deck (they bowed over 4"). Anyway, a week after it was complete the guy calls me telling me his neighbors are complaining about the noise. No problem, the equipment was in his basement up against the neighbors wall (home in SF are right up against each other). Figured putting everything on a 1/4" rubber mat would do the trick, so we put in on a 1/2". The darn thing was DEAD silent. A JOB WELL DONE!

right........ 3 days later.... neighbors still complaining about the hot tub noise..... OK, well? the plumbing runs through a few walls, lets line the holes through the walls with rubber and suspend the plumbing in the middle of that.... oooooooooooo, that's quieter, not that it made much noise before....... A JOB WELL DONE!

Sureeeeeeeee.... neighbors still complaining about the hot tub noise ........ well? I guess we can get a crane out here, lift the tub and put some rubber underneath. That's GOT to solve this once and for all. BIG cranes are so cool. Everybody wants to see what the heck is going on..... even the guys neighbors, who asked what we were doing.

"Oh, well you see, we're lifting this hot tub and putting rubber matting underneath so the noise doesn't bother you"

neighbors - "Hot tub? Bill got a hot tub? When?" Well THAT explains it! We couldn't figure out why he was always out on his deck loudly "propositioning" all these women"

Love the Story.

Bill should have worn the rubber!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2004, 12:32:15 am by ZzTop »

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2004, 06:47:34 am »
Oh Doc, don't make me laugh coffee out of my nose this early in the morning!!!

:o ;D ;)
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

CalicoskiesNC

• In hot water since July 2004, love our Optima
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2004, 08:01:03 am »
My spa sits about 7ft away from my tv room windows.  When I have the A/C on and windows closed, I can barely hear the hum of the tub with everything running.  I really doubt that a normal tub could make enuf noise to irritate neighbors.  Your fence will block some sound as will the cover.  Just dont play loud music and you should be fine.

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2004, 08:44:39 am »
Ya know somethin' , My home is my castle and what I do in it and out into my yard is my business. I pay my taxes like my neighbours and if they don't like it well.......you get the picture. Our neighbours are not that close, because we live in a well established community that was built about 35 years ago. Our closest neighbour has his AC unit away from his deck space but on his side of the house that is facing our yard about 40'. When his unit kicks on we can hear it.

I don't complain 'cause we all gotta live together right! I have speakers on my deck with a pool at one end of it and the tub at the other end. We live on our deck in the summer with frequent guests and at times some gatherings can get pretty raucous.  

Hey! we do try and keep things down but when it comes to living, I make very little sacrifices.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2004, 08:44:39 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42