What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sundance circulator pump issues.  (Read 3429 times)

Ringwood

Sundance circulator pump issues.
« on: July 21, 2016, 12:24:37 pm »
Hi,
I have a 2016 Sundance Certa. I am getting an intermittent flow error from circulator pump. ( the system knows the pump motor is powered on but does not see flow from the flow switch)
The unit has been up and running for about a month. It is not an issue of an air pocket. The problem is that the circulator pump is not starting every time even though receiving the correct voltage.(238-240)
I tested the capacitor and it checked out okay.
What happens is that the pump motor shaft will slowly creep and after a few seconds or a few minutes it might start. This problem is very intermittent whereas it might happen for a day or two and then not happen for weeks.
I know this is under warranty and am planning on having a tech come out and look at it, although I'm sure he'll just shrug his shoulders when he does not see the problem. Everything checks out perfect while the system is operating okay.

Thanks for any ideas.

Hot Tub Forum

Sundance circulator pump issues.
« on: July 21, 2016, 12:24:37 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Sundance circulator pump issues.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 08:34:22 pm »
The next time you catch it with a flow error because the pump is not starting properly take a photo and explain it to the tech then. A new pump is in order IMO. Its possible it was faulty from the factory. If as you say there is no air stuck and the voltage is right.
Retired

Ringwood

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 12:07:33 pm »
This is what is happening. I am measuring voltage at the motor terminals. I think if there were air in the line causing the issue, the pump should still be running.

Watch "Sundance circulator pump" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/Dpe_4ecnnxI

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 01:39:44 pm »
This is what is happening. I am measuring voltage at the motor terminals. I think if there were air in the line causing the issue, the pump should still be running.

intermittent operation like this is common among circ pumps at the end of there lifespan...you'll need a new circ pump

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 03:25:45 pm »

intermittent operation like this is common among circ pumps at the end of there lifespan...you'll need a new circ pump

But it's a 2016 tub.......
Retired

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 03:53:22 pm »

But it's a 2016 tub.......

It's Friday apparently I have no reading comprehension...with that said call your dealer and have them come swap in a new  circ pump, Sundance still has the 5 yr warranty on components I believe, since it is so new your dealer may not even charge a trip fee to come out and swap it.

Ringwood

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 04:01:00 pm »
You're right, it is only a 2016 . It uses the cheaper LX pump, not an Aqua-flo. I've spent over 30 years in manufacturing and facilities maintenance to know it's never cost effective to put in a cheap replacement for high-quality part.

Manufacturers take that risk and still come out ahead by putting in cheaper parts knowing that the few pieces of junk that get installed would need to be replaced.

Being an intermittent problem, I told the dealer I would rather wait to have this replace when I did a water change because I did not want to go through replacing all the water and start up chemicals again. They said they could replace that pump without draining the tub??

They are scheduled to come over next Tuesday. When I was discussing the warranty with the dealer, he told me everything was covered for 5 years.  The warranty page  doesn't mention anything about a service charge  from the dealer and they never mentioned it to me.  I will strongly disagree with the dealer trying to charge me anything for this warranty repair.
I will keep you posted.

Thanks all...

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 04:25:34 pm »
You're right, it is only a 2016 . It uses the cheaper LX pump, not an Aqua-flo. I've spent over 30 years in manufacturing and facilities maintenance to know it's never cost effective to put in a cheap replacement for high-quality part.

Manufacturers take that risk and still come out ahead by putting in cheaper parts knowing that the few pieces of junk that get installed would need to be replaced.

Being an intermittent problem, I told the dealer I would rather wait to have this replace when I did a water change because I did not want to go through replacing all the water and start up chemicals again. They said they could replace that pump without draining the tub??

They are scheduled to come over next Tuesday. When I was discussing the warranty with the dealer, he told me everything was covered for 5 years.  The warranty page  doesn't mention anything about a service charge  from the dealer and they never mentioned it to me.  I will strongly disagree with the dealer trying to charge me anything for this warranty repair.
I will keep you posted.

Thanks all...

They may be able to change the pump without draining it...some circ pumps use 3/4" lines that can be "clamped off", some manufacturers use "slice valves", and if neither of those apply some service techs can be very crafty and plug a line and do a "quick change" depending on how the spa is plumbed.

Any documentation from Sundance would not mention a trip charge, it is up to each individual dealer to determine if they charge a fee to help cover transportation costs for the service call...there are still companies (not many, but some) that don't charge a trip fee, others charge it but offer a "grace period" like the first 6 months where they won't charge you because the spa is so new.  Basically ask your dealer and he'll let you know...good luck!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 04:25:34 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42