What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: ThermoSpas?  (Read 8099 times)

RayF-1

ThermoSpas?
« on: July 19, 2004, 03:42:28 pm »
Company represented in Hot Tubs magazine as "factory direct" (from Wallingford CT).  I have an in-home appointment Wed 7/21.  (I expect high-pressure.)

I see no review posted or forum discussion.  Has anyone experience with this company/brand?

Thanks .. RAY  

Hot Tub Forum

ThermoSpas?
« on: July 19, 2004, 03:42:28 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: ThermoSpas?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2004, 04:25:50 pm »
Do a search on this forum site under that name as well as other sites (poolandspas.com, spasearch.com, Dr. spa) and you'll find all you need to know.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2004, 07:34:05 pm »
It wont be easy, but changing your phone number and moving out of state in under 2 days is possible  ::)
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

johnnythunders

• Jacuzzi J-355
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2004, 09:14:59 pm »
You will not get rid of him,he will beg and plead with you....You will need to call the cops to get him out.Better cancel and drive to a few stores that sells spas....JohnnyT ;)

RayF-1

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2004, 09:18:00 pm »
Thanks .. but these don't help.  Forum search doesn't show much; spasearch takes me to the manufafcturer's site, dr.spa is dead, and the company is not rated in poolandspa.  BTW, I bought the magazine.

RAY    

johnnythunders

• Jacuzzi J-355
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2004, 09:22:35 pm »
The thermos are crap but my friend love his and its indoors,but then again he pee's in the spa thinks he will save on  Chems.But then again hes not too smart.Yukkkkkkk.JohnnyT

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2004, 11:30:00 pm »
Thanks .. but these don't help.  Forum search doesn't show much; spasearch takes me to the manufafcturer's site, dr.spa is dead, and the company is not rated in poolandspa.  BTW, I bought the magazine.

RAY    

What's the quote? The story of my demise has been greatly exagerated! HEY! I ain't dead......... yet

ok, try this next link, though as of today there may be some hope;

http://thermospa.webmastery.org/saga.html

BTW, poolandspa is COMPLETE paid for advertising. 4 star best of class is $25,000.00 per year, 3 star is $15,000.00 per year.  Thermospas is the LARGEST manufacturers direct spa company in the WORLD! You think someone legitimately "rating" spas wouldn't rate them (if you want MORE "evidence" let my know :-)  ?????????
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2004, 08:06:42 am »
Since you already expect high pressure, go ahead with your appointment and let us know. If you have time look at some spas locally so you have an idea of price/features.

Doc,  Did you ship my swirl away before your demise?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2004, 08:07:40 am by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

RayF-1

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2004, 08:16:27 am »
Good stuff .. thanks.  We've (wife unit and I) locally wet tested three units (SunD.. , Vita, and Jacquz..) with two more (PDC, Coleman) scheduled.

Really looking for a good shoulders/neck unit; maybe with out-of-water jets.

ThermoSpa literature shows several features we like; facing loungers, individual control of each seat.

Wonder what they'll say when I ask for a wet test and local recommendation?  Maybe fly me to the factory?

RAY      

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2004, 08:26:56 am »
They work off of scripted sales presentations.
You can bet your next paycheck that they'll have scripted responses as to why wet testing is not necessary.
Have fun.
Brewman
Brewman

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2004, 08:47:41 am »
This is a re-post.  The reason why I am doing this is to warn others. Normally I would simply say if it's good for you then great, but in this case, I feel alomost obligated.

Ray if you have a different sales experience, let us know.

Well, at the start of our search for a tub we invited a sales rep from Thermospa and we met him on Saturday January 10th of this year at our house.  Let me share this with you. RUN........ RUN AWAY from that individual and never invite anyone from that company again.  

May sound like I am biased but after spending an hour and a half with one of their sales rep ........ well since some of you asked, here is my story. I'll keep it short!

Ding dong. Open the door and greet the sales rep. Pleasant enough, show him where the tub is going to go.  Very nice he says, invite him to sit down in the living room and offer coffee which he accepted. He spots some literature on the coffee table that are publications from other Hot Tub manufacturers (Sundance, D1, Jacuzzi, Beachcomber, Caldera, and a few others that we had downloaded information on but had not yet visited in a show room. He acknowledges these publications and makes a cursive comment about Thermospas being the leader among all of the hot tubs shown on our coffee table.

The next hour was nothing more than a comparitive presentation of Thermospas' superiority over all of the aforementioned.

At the one hour mark he pulled out some prices on Thermospas but zoned in on one that he highly recommended for us as that model best 'fit our needs'. He continued as he began writing up an offer which consisted of two prices. One that was his special of today and the other which was his regular price on the same sheet.  

And that is where it went from bad to worse. The pressure tactics of a sharlatan, (tell you the truth he wasn't even really good at that). No longer was he speaking about the superiority of Thermospa over the others, but rather that he was offering us a unbelievable deal and that it was only available that day and that we needed to provide him with a deposit of 50%. So why delay

The 'special' was $14825 including taxes, cover, lifter, step, coloured lens? and some chemicals. Basically he was looking for $7,412.50. I looked at my wife (we had by now read each others mind) and discussed the fact that should we do this we would need to transfer money from our GIC's to our chequing account and that would take a few days so we could not cover the cheque. He thought about this a nano second and informed us that he could sit on the cheque a few days and he would speak to the sales manager about this special situation.

Done deal he thought, so he began to finalize the sales order, when I began asking him about rumors and stories about warranty, production quality, customer support, etc.... to which he responded, and I quote 'we have a no fault bumper to bumper 7 year warranty' and 'whenever a client has a problem, Thermospa is there within 48 hrs'.

I pulled a printout of several websites that had sooooooo many consumer complaints about Thermospas that I lost count and asked him about that. (I had literally downloaded these that morning, thank the spa gods) His explanation, get this, that it was most likely their competitors that were putting up these posts in an attempt to discredit their product.  

I thanked him for his time and said that we would think about it but that prior to purchasing a hot tub we would need to wet test his product. He explained that that was impossible as he sold his tubs direct from the manufacturer and that was why he could offer us such a great deal. He twiced tried to interject so that we would commit and he then informed us that if we signed, he would obtain the permission of a owner near us so that we could wet test their Thermospa.  Logic in that? I responded that that was a little stupid! Like putting the cart before the horse.  

We, to his major dissapointment, did not sign. He was quite agressive at the end trying to get us to sign. We never kept track but he did call a number of times to inquire about our decision. I finally told him that we had bought the Sundance Optima, to which he responded 'good luck, you'll need it'.

BTW, if there are any Thermospa owners out there who are happy with their tub, I apologise to you about this post. Anybody else want to take it up with me about my trashing Thermospa, bring it on. IMHO and sales experience, they are absolutely the worst and will not apologise about that.  

Would you buy a car without driving it first??

johnnythunders

• Jacuzzi J-355
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2004, 07:01:54 pm »
DooDoo hit the mail on the head....Its like buying a timeshare and you can't get away from the salesperson...I would hate selling spas in someones home.johnnyT

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2004, 10:34:34 pm »
I hope this guy goes ahead with the presentation, I'd like to see if anything has has changed over the years. Most stories of  Thermosalesman, including my own, are at least a couple years old.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

RayF-1

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2004, 12:02:10 pm »
OK .. met the ThermoSpa rep last night, Wed, Jul 21.  Arrived on time, polite, knowledgable guy about systems and his product.  He didn't need to sell us on a tub, so I asked him to focus on his product.

Wife and I want lounge seat, which limits choices.  We reviewed two models, Park Avenue and Manhattan in two levels, "deluxe" and "executive" (w/more jets and one exclusive option, a "wave seat" in the lounger).

Nice features, some I'd not seen in tubs we've tested.  Lighted grab rails (several), double-reversable loungers (for two side-by-side or facing), filters compatible with choice of five purification systems, pillows with inner jets, etc.

Was kind of surprised that synthetic cabinet is avail in grey only, red is true wood (I want synthetic red).  Warranties are typical, with pro-ration over time (don't like this!)  Can buy an additional warranty ($$).

Was also surprised that "factory direct" sales did not result in big $$ reductions.  Models priced (with several modest options, no fancy lights or audio) from $11,300 to $17,800.  I guess I anticipated that a $10000 spa (at a retailer) would be about $8500 "factory direct."

Was pleased there was no high pressure.  Sales rep committed to provide name/contact info of several local area purchasers of similar models for me to call and/or visit.

Will be glad to provide more, if interested, just send a message.

RAY              

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2004, 12:14:41 pm »
Where do you sell spas now?

DooDoo hit the mail on the head....Its like buying a timeshare and you can't get away from the salesperson...I would hate selling spas in someones home.johnnyT

If you like it and you want it BUY IT!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2004, 12:14:41 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42