What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Maxxus vs J-480  (Read 3197 times)

YourSnyderMan

Maxxus vs J-480
« on: July 01, 2016, 12:09:45 pm »
Hi all, from another newbie to the forum!  My wife and I are getting ready to pull the trigger on purchasing our first hot tub.  After a ton of deliberation, dealer visits, and wet tests, we've narrowed it down to 2 options:  the Sundance Maxxus or the Jacuzzi J-480.  We have found that a lounger will be best, in part because the direct calf massage and strong foot massage is particularly therapeutic.  We're both pretty tall, at 6'0" and 5'11" respectively, and no problems floating out of the lounger.  Plenty of the time it will be just the two of us and later with our young daughter as she gets older, but we're looking for a tub that will accommodate up to six people for the occasions we're chilling out with family, friends, neighbors, etc.  The dealers aren't stocking the Maxxus or J-480, but we've wet tested the Aspen and J-495 and like them both a lot.  We've also wet tested the Cameo to get a feel for the lounger and found we like it a lot.  What advice and/or experience can anyone offer regarding the Maxxus versus J-480 deliberation??  Performance?  Aesthetics?  Overall experience?  Other considerations we may not have thought of?  Our primary objectives are relaxation/social time and hydrotherapy, specifically for the calves, feet, and lower back.  And one specific question about the J-480:  is the lounger long enough for someone who's 6'0"?  Any answers or insight that anyone can provide is very much appreciated.  Thanks a million!!

Matt

Hot Tub Forum

Maxxus vs J-480
« on: July 01, 2016, 12:09:45 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Maxxus vs J-480
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 04:00:56 pm »
 Can't go wrong with either.  I do like the looks of the J-480 better with the raised back and waterfall.   Lounge wise they are probably close to the same as well.   Dollars wise/price difference, if you can swing the size I would seriously think about the J-495 instead unless it's just to big?   

YourSnyderMan

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 11:34:28 am »
Jacuzzi Jim, thanks for the insight.  J-495 looks amazing, but we would really only consider a tub of that size if it had a lounger.  The Maxxus is the same size (110x90) and the only reason we are looking at such a large tub is for a very comfortable lounger to really stretch out in.  The J-480 is still large at 94x94, but I can't tell if 94" is enough to accommodate a lounger with a corner seat at the opposite end, and if that lounger would still be a good fit for someone right at 6'0".  I really do want a lounger for specific therapeutic needs for calves and feet. 

I agree, the aesthetics of the J-495/J-480 are really nice.  And the MX2 jets on the lower back are incredible.  I just can't tell if that lounger is a good fit for someone right at 6'0" and it's tough to tell from the pictures/videos.  If anyone has any insight on that I would really appreciate it.  Maxxus has the lounger from the Cameo but without giving up another corner seat, and I know that works for me.  Otherwise I wouldn't be looking at such a big tub that will often be used by only 2 of us.  And I'm also wondering if the Maxxus, since it has a third jet pump, will provide stronger, more consistent power to the jets than a slightly smaller tub with two jet pumps.

Again, any insight anyone has is much appreciated.  Thanks!

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 06:01:43 pm »
  I am 6'2 long legs and I fit ok in it.  Though I can stretch out to the corner seat.  Not a huge deal but my biggest gripe with either spa is the lounge faces the back and you look at the cover.   I argued about it with a Jacuzzi design guy years ago at a Vegas spa show, his answer was, well nobody really care's.   I said yeah well tell that to the dozen+ people that bought another brand because of it.    ::)    Have you looked at the J-355?  It's what I have be it 9 years old, but it's a nice sitting spa. Specially if say 2 people 80% of the time, it's also a bit better on the budget.

Third pump in the maxxus I believe only runs the whirlpool jet, been awhile since I have seen one..

YourSnyderMan

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 09:13:04 pm »
Good point, facing the cover from the lounger isn't exactly ideal, but probably not a deal-breaker.  We didn't consider the j-355 because we don't want to give up a second corner seat for the sake of the lounger.  Which begs the question about the J-375.  Any thoughts on the J-375?  Is the lounger comfortable for a 6-foot tall person?  I don't like giving up the foot dome, but
looks like those 2 MX jets in the footwell could provide a mighty strong foot massage.  How do the 375 and 480 compare in your opinion?  Thanks a million!!!

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 09:20:29 pm »
Good point, facing the cover from the lounger isn't exactly ideal, but probably not a deal-breaker.  We didn't consider the j-355 because we don't want to give up a second corner seat for the sake of the lounger.  Which begs the question about the J-375.  Any thoughts on the J-375?  Is the lounger comfortable for a 6-foot tall person?  I don't like giving up the foot dome, but
looks like those 2 MX jets in the footwell could provide a mighty strong foot massage.  How do the 375 and 480 compare in your opinion?  Thanks a million!!!

The big foot jets rock compared to the smaller ones on a foot dome. They use to be called the power pro jets, and you can divert all of one pump too them.  It's what's in mine and I have always love them.  The J-375 is a nice sized spa as well and the lounge should be fine.   

YourSnyderMan

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2016, 04:04:00 pm »
I've read the comment many times, and it is certainly true that picking a hot tub model is more difficult than picking a car...or anything else!  Ultimately we are down to three hot tub models:  J-375, J-480, or Maxxus.  The frustrating part is that we have not been able to wet test any of the three, or even dry test them, because the dealers in my area (Chicago) do not stock Jacuzzi or Sundance models with a lounger, except for the Sundance Cameo.  We loved our wet test of the Sundance Cameo, and that's how we concluded a lounger is right for us, but we are not willing to give up two corner seats for the sake of the lounger.  So one of our criteria became tub with a lounger plus three corner seats, and that leaves the J-375, the J-480, and the Maxxus. 

Closest thing to J-375 we've been able to wet test is the J-385.  Really like the jet action there and the simplicity of the controls.  Pricing seems reasonable, but not crazy about some of the aesthetics.  Also not sure if the 91" dimensions are long enough to accommodate a lounger with a corner seat at the feet of the lounger.

So next step up is the J-480.  Closest thing we've wet tested in the J-495.  Loved the jetting, even more than the J-300 series, and the high-back waterfall and additional lighting makes for very nice aesthetics.  Compared to the J-375, the dimensions grow a little bit to 94" which I imagine helps the tub accommodate better a lounge with a corner seat at the feet of the lounger.  Plus J-480 picks up the foot dome.  The J-480 raises the size, functionality, and aesthetics marginally compared to the J-375, but at a pretty steep price premium (~$3k).  I'm happy to pay the premium to upgrade to the J-480 if I know that the additional size, premium jetting, and better aesthetics are real benefits "in person" as opposed to just in the marketing, but without the ability to see either of the two units in the flesh.

Final step up is the Maxxus.  Closest thing we've wet tested are the Sundance Aspen and the Cameo.  Maxxus is the same size as Aspen (110" x 90") but has the lounger like the Cameo, and the same nice features as all 880-series Sundances do.  A little less than $600 to upgrade from J-480 to Maxxus, which is really not much money considering how much larger the Maxxus is.  But might it be TOO big?? 

So as I survey the whole situation, here are my sentiments.  The J-375 is clearly the "value" option, but will I regret not having the several niceties and extra few inches of space that the J-480 offers?  I THINK I would really appreciate the few extra inches of space, the slightly better jetting, the foot dome, and nicer aesthetics that the J-480 offers, but why is the price premium soooo much more??  A grand or two, sure, but 3 grand??  From there, is it worth another ~$600 to just go all the way to the Maxxus?  It's a lot of extra space for not much more money compared to the J-480.  But is it TOO much space??  It would fit fine in my yard, just wondering if it might seems silly to have such a large tub for 2-3 people in it much of the time. 

Any thoughts, advice, opinions, etc, on these three models are greatly appreciated.  For anyone who's found themself in this "decision dilemma" or something like it, what advice do you have?  Outright biased opinions are very much welcomed at this point!!  Since none of the exact three models I'm considering are available to wet test or even dry test, I have to make a decision based on wet tests of their sibling/cousin models, advice from dealers, and advice from the fine folks on this forum.

Thank you very, very much!!!

Matt

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2016, 04:04:00 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42