What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Considering Hot Springs, Bullfrog, Sundance, Jacuzzi - Help !  (Read 16568 times)

hanexs

Re: Considering Hot Springs, Bullfrog, Sundance, Jacuzzi - Help !
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2016, 05:55:30 pm »
Thought I would chime in here.  I did a wet test on an Artic Spa, Sundance, Bullfrog (and another brand I forget which, but it is the type that has the motor  outside, under the stairs).

I went with the bullfrog R6, and I was very hesitant about the "gimmicks" some people on these boards say it has.  3 years later I have to say:

-the jetpacks aren't really gimmicks, it is very awesome to switch the seats once a year or so to change the way your hot tub feels.  If I like a new position or seat, I move my jetpack there, easy and awesome.

-it doesnt get dirty behind the jetpack like people say

-lastly since you can buy jetpacks cheap used, or online, its actally a pretty neat system.  I have two extra jetpacks I bought for 100$ each.  Now if a pack ever breaks I have an extra, also the remaining plumbing in the tub is simple if that ever breaks, its basically just a 2 inch abs pipe that goes to a jetpack/manifold(but I havent had any problems yet).

I dont know that I would pay extra for Bullfrog, but at the same price I would say the jetpack features pull me in that direction if I ever had to buy again.

To choose a hot tub, I would wet test and look at price and go with a good dealer. But I thought I would defend the bullfrog which I am happy with.

Also I would strongly suggest buying used if money is a factor.  If you have any mechanical ability hot tubs are super easy to fix/maintain and they are a lot cheaper used.   Salesman like to make it sound like buying used is a tricky situation, but if you can wet test a used hot tub and it doesn't leak, there isn't really much else that can  go wrong, and you can change a pump, heater or control panel for peanuts compared to the price of a new tub.  (Just make sure you never buy one with a crack in the tub).
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 06:04:19 pm by hanexs »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2016, 05:55:30 pm »

Sam

« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2016, 11:58:22 am »
Thought I would chime in here.  I did a wet test on an Artic Spa, Sundance, Bullfrog (and another brand I forget which, but it is the type that has the motor  outside, under the stairs).

I went with the bullfrog R6, and I was very hesitant about the "gimmicks" some people on these boards say it has.  3 years later I have to say:

-the jetpacks aren't really gimmicks, it is very awesome to switch the seats once a year or so to change the way your hot tub feels.  If I like a new position or seat, I move my jetpack there, easy and awesome.

-it doesnt get dirty behind the jetpack like people say

-lastly since you can buy jetpacks cheap used, or online, its actally a pretty neat system.  I have two extra jetpacks I bought for 100$ each.  Now if a pack ever breaks I have an extra, also the remaining plumbing in the tub is simple if that ever breaks, its basically just a 2 inch abs pipe that goes to a jetpack/manifold(but I havent had any problems yet).

I dont know that I would pay extra for Bullfrog, but at the same price I would say the jetpack features pull me in that direction if I ever had to buy again.

To choose a hot tub, I would wet test and look at price and go with a good dealer. But I thought I would defend the bullfrog which I am happy with.

Also I would strongly suggest buying used if money is a factor.  If you have any mechanical ability hot tubs are super easy to fix/maintain and they are a lot cheaper used.   Salesman like to make it sound like buying used is a tricky situation, but if you can wet test a used hot tub and it doesn't leak, there isn't really much else that can  go wrong, and you can change a pump, heater or control panel for peanuts compared to the price of a new tub.  (Just make sure you never buy one with a crack in the tub).

Thanks for sharing your experience.  Fyi, it sounds like you have the old style Bullfrog.  The current JetPaks do not have any "plumbing" on the JetPak.  I put it in quotes because you can argue that it is plumbing because water moves through it.  I'm just saying plumbing as in the traditional schedule 40 pvc sense.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2016, 05:14:24 pm »
Thanks for sharing your experience.  Fyi, it sounds like you have the old style Bullfrog.  The current JetPaks do not have any "plumbing" on the JetPak.  I put it in quotes because you can argue that it is plumbing because water moves through it.  I'm just saying plumbing as in the traditional schedule 40 pvc sense.

Is a shower head plumbing? Is a water heater plumbing? Is the pump plumbing? Is the heater plumbing? Is a toilet plumbing? There's no argument.
Retired

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2016, 07:13:24 pm »

Is a shower head plumbing? Is a water heater plumbing? Is the pump plumbing? Is the heater plumbing? Is a toilet plumbing? There's no argument.

Maybe to a plumber it's plumbing.   To 99.99% of the world it's a shower head, a hot water tank and a toilet, no argument.    ;)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 07:47:38 pm by Jacuzzi Jim »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2016, 09:26:21 pm »

Maybe to a plumber it's plumbing.   To 99.99% of the world it's a shower head, a hot water tank and a toilet, no argument.    ;)

That's why we get paid so much. 99.99% of you don't know any better.
Retired

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2016, 09:40:55 pm »

That's why we get paid so much. 99.99% of you don't know any better.

You in a plumbers union?   

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2016, 07:06:13 am »
Not any more, management, desk job. Maintain my license though, for now. Likely retire in November and start looking for other ways to stay busy. Mow grass, plow snow.
Retired

hanexs

« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2016, 07:45:54 pm »
Not sure if it is or isnt plumbing. (Not sure why it matters either) What I meant was that the plumbing IN the hot tub is simple, some simple pipes to fix if you ever need to.  If you have an extra jet pack or two, it all works like lego.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2016, 07:45:54 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42