What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Custom-made cover lifter  (Read 7188 times)

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
Custom-made cover lifter
« on: July 15, 2004, 12:53:44 pm »
OK.. call me crazy.  Go ahead... I'll wait...

Now, I'm reasonably handy and like to tinker with things.  I've never seen a cover lifter up close, but I get the basic idea of one:  a big metal U that the cover flips over and that you use to move the cover on and off the hot tub.

How hard do you think it would be to just buy some pieces of rigid metal conduit (maybe inside of PVC to prevent rusting?), make a U out of them, add a hinge on the bottom, and make a cover-lifter for something like $40 and some labor?

Is this just silly? Am I missing something? It isn't so much of a cost factor as I'm looking for a tinkering project.

-Ed

Hot Tub Forum

Custom-made cover lifter
« on: July 15, 2004, 12:53:44 pm »

saz

Re: Custom-made cover lifter
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004, 08:39:36 am »
Never really thought about it to be honest, but I guess you're right...sign me up for your first export sale!
saz

OnMedic

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004, 08:55:30 am »
Food for thought. If you could make one with "feet" that slide in undere the tub, you wouldn't have to attach anything to the tub I think. I currently use the Slide and store, not a lifter.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2004, 11:18:58 am »
The covermate II has "feet" that slide under the tub.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2004, 12:15:07 pm »
I have many customers who, over the years, have created some very interesting home-made lifts. I think that over all, the rust problems tend to limit their success.

Most of the lifts sold today are made of aluminum, and some are even powder-coated.

If I was going to build my own, I would bend up some EMT ("Thinwall conduit") as a mockup - tweaking it till it's just right. Then I would invest in some aluminum tubing and copy the final bends to that. I would also buy Stainless Steel fastners, oversized a bit since they tend to be somewhat soft, and I would use bronze or nylon for the pivot points.

I would create a simple shelf or set of brackets low down for the cover to sit on when it's open - so the thing doesn't have to hang the cover by it's hinge whenever I'm in the spa.

Finally, I would carefully count the costs of time and material, and be sure I hadn't just spent more than the price of a lift in a box.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2004, 12:50:34 pm »
I think Chas has all the steps down well to make a lifter. After lokking at it closely and adding the cost of materials (not too much) to the time involved (i'm only on this earth so long), I'd be on my way to a dealer or searching the net to buy one (but that's just me).
220, 221, whatever it takes!

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2004, 12:54:55 pm »
I like the idea of a shelf for the cover to rest on so it is not hanging by its hinge.  I think I could incorporate that into my spa/deck design.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2004, 02:35:54 pm »
Chas. I have been considering building my own also (I have an unusual installation so no "off the shelf" lifter will work for me). My plan was/is to make it from either 3/4" copper type L pipe, or even 3/4" brass they use for running the electrical for swimming pool lights. NO possibility of rusting  :)
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2004, 03:34:28 pm »
True, Copper doesn't rust. It corrodes. I would bet that you could make a lifter out of it, but I would seal it with something. Sorry about the typo - not my photo...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2004, 03:35:06 pm by Chas »
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2004, 12:38:01 pm »
Wow! Great replies!  I just got back from a week long Caribbean cruise (which I highly recommend to anyone).  The only disappointment was that the ship's hot tubs weren't the same as my grandee. 8)

I have an unusual installation in that I am neither flush with the deck or sitting on top of the deck.  From an anti-slip perspective I've tried to line up the deck surface with the first step into the hot tub (with room to accomodate the outside control panel).

Many (all that I have seen) cover lifters don't work on a half-sunk tub. Or at least it will be half-sunk when the deck is done.

If I get a chance to put something together, I will certainly drop pictures off here.

-Ed

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2004, 01:06:20 pm »
Covermate III will work well on a half sunken in tub.

BTW, I'm a big fan of the half sunken in tubs where the deck surface is even with the spa seats. It sure makes it easy to get in and out of the tub, well done.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2004, 01:10:48 pm »
oops............... Almost missed your response Chas........ Funny.... Do you frequently bury your cover lifters in toxic waste dumps??

Most homes, in areas where it doesn't freeze, have some outdoor plumbing that's bare copper (look at your own faucets), most all main water lines coming into homes are buried copper pipe, other than slate, copper roofs are the longest lasting material, copper rain gutters are considered the most top of the line, etc. etc. etc.

Actually, if you want to go one step further, I believe brass conduit (used for swimming pool under water lighting conduit) will hold up better than copper.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2004, 01:10:48 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42