What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Shopping has begun-Arctic spa is first  (Read 6769 times)

rodger

Shopping has begun-Arctic spa is first
« on: July 24, 2004, 07:33:04 pm »
My wife and I started shopping for our first spa yesterday. Based on research I've done, I felt pretty comfortable with the Arctic Spa. Being a technical type, I really like the accessibility. Some folks feel it is a very good tub, other not so. We went to "Arctic Spas Manitoba" and visited with Shannon. I spent several hours pouring over the nearly dozen models on display. My wife REALLY likes the Tundra Legend SE. Wouldn't you know she'd pick the most expensive?

To read more about my deck, cabana and spa selection process,  go here:

http://www.netcrafting.com/deck_spa/index.htm
« Last Edit: July 24, 2004, 07:51:10 pm by rodger »

Hot Tub Forum

Shopping has begun-Arctic spa is first
« on: July 24, 2004, 07:33:04 pm »

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
Re: Shopping has begun-Arctic first
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2004, 07:42:37 pm »
Arctic does make a good tub. Very expensive, I feel they are over priced. Check out Coleman if you like the way Arctic builds them. Coleman has been making tubs longer than Arctic, same construction principles with a galvalum structure instead of wood. The Colemans are much more reasonably priced.

The only complaint I have heard from prospects shopping in my store about arctic is the fact that they use high pressure techniques. "I can give you this deal this weekend only, if you would like to leave a $500 deposit we can secure this offer until you are ready to buy....." Sound familiar?

NEWS FLASH: there is always a sale
Homeworks Financing Representative

rodger

Re: Shopping has begun-Arctic spa is first
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2004, 08:01:01 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion. Could it be that high pressure sales tactics are a "personality" of the specific dealer and not the brand they sell? Maybe so, maybe not. I haven't been at enough dealers to draw a conclusion in that regard. The first two dealers, Hot Springs and Arctic were not high pressure at all. The Arctic sales rep in  Minneapolis wasn't high pressure either, although that contact was limited to 3 or 4 phone conversations and a fax. The Minneapolis dealer was willing to take us out to Punch Pizza in St. Paul if we came down. That would be a REALLY good thing. They didn't know about Punch Pizza until I told them about it. I can't believe the people I've met from the Twin Cities that have never had Punch Pizza. If you're ever there, go. Be sure to get there right when they open though, 6:00 pm I think. They're closed on Mondays.

Later...
« Last Edit: July 24, 2004, 08:05:57 pm by rodger »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2004, 09:25:18 pm »
Being a technical type, I really like the accessibility.

Arctic puts quite a thick layer of foam on the back of the shell - so if you were to do a side-by-side comparison of , say, a HotSpring spa - I think you would find that you have to dig through a few inches less on the Arctic.

Now - if that's really is a deal breaker, you're not looking at the big picture.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

rodger

Re: Shopping has begun...my priorities.
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2004, 10:23:14 pm »
The accessibility is not a deal breaker or maker for me. It's just something that first attracted me to Arctic. All the tubs push hot water around and some do it differently than others. For now, here are my priorities, with most important coming first.

1. Build quality and attention to detail.

2. Dealer customer service, reputation, length of time in business, etc. I will ask for several references before the purchase. They would do well to respond quickly to questions and email inquiries.

3. Comfort and suitability for our intended use.

4. Warranty

5. Serviceability and convenience. That remote topside is sweet.

6. Price is somewhere down here. Negotiation is usually part of the game and I'm hoping that whoever I purchase from allows us both to be happy with the price paid. Otherwise, I'll keep looking. I will try very hard to make sure that emotions don't play a part in this purchase. Logic and research should rule the day.

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2004, 12:10:42 am »
Rodger before you put your hard earned money down have a look at this:
http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=wtb-hottub;action=display;num=1088964487;start=29

You sound like a guy who likes to swim up waterfalls.

There are much better choices out there when it comes to quality and Service.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2004, 12:16:19 am by ZzTop »

TALKCalgary.com

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2004, 12:39:02 am »
As far as price goes I was quoted $11,000 CAN for an Arctic Tundra and $10,990 CAN for a beachcomber 750. If you ask me they are both overpriced.

Like you, I was impressed by the technical hype of the Arctic product. But after wet testing, the Beachcomber won hands down.

Personally, I was also put off Arctic after talking to a former customer who had a very bad experience with a local dealership. Although, that doesn’t mean Arctic sell a bad product.  I also found there selling tactics very childish. For example, jumping up and down on the spa cover! What the hell is this supposes to prove when it comes to insulation?

As I said for me the Beachcomber gives one hell of a spa experience. It’s just a pity that they don’t provide a few more bells and whistles.

rodger

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2004, 12:52:40 am »
Thanks zz. I did read that thread last week and have been very busy reading everything I can. Interesting points are being made. Your "Topic: How to Negotiate and Buy a Hot tub" is a very good resource.

Take care.

kluzo

• Beachcomber 740 Owner
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2004, 10:45:39 am »
Confirm the delivery with them before you buy. Last year my neighboor bought the Actic in June and it did not arrive till mid October. After wet tests of a variety of tubs Beachcomer was the one I went with (740). They also had a better price then Actic as well. But by the sounds of it you already have your mind made up on buying the Actic.

kluzo

• Beachcomber 740 Owner
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2004, 11:44:58 am »
Here is a quote from TALKCalgary.com

When it comes to features, again Arctic wins hands down with more jets, therapy air, a separate reinforced fibreglass base, waterfall features and a light package that leaves Beachcombers puny single light in the dark!  

But as members of this forum are quick to point out, it’s how a tub feels that is important, and after wet testing both manufactures, the Beachcomber 750 with its smaller pumps and limited jets left the Arctic Spas Tundra out in the cold.

Ruby

• Marquis Epic
Re: Shopping has begun...my priorities.
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2004, 02:10:39 pm »
The accessibility is not a deal breaker or maker for me. It's just something that first attracted me to Arctic. All the tubs push hot water around and some do it differently than others. For now, here are my priorities, with most important coming first.

1. Build quality and attention to detail.

2. Dealer customer service, reputation, length of time in business, etc. I will ask for several references before the purchase. They would do well to respond quickly to questions and email inquiries.

3. Comfort and suitability for our intended use.

4. Warranty

5. Serviceability and convenience. That remote topside is sweet.

6. Price is somewhere down here. Negotiation is usually part of the game and I'm hoping that whoever I purchase from allows us both to be happy with the price paid. Otherwise, I'll keep looking. I will try very hard to make sure that emotions don't play a part in this purchase. Logic and research should rule the day.

Rodger,
Based on your priorities and location I have a suggestion for you to check out.  I too, am in the Mpls area.  Marquis SA Reward is sold at Valley Pools & Spas.  The location I purchased from is in Andover-salesperson was John.

1. Quality and attn to detail: Just read here about them-this forum is what I based that on- I haven't read anything bad about them. Marquis doesn't have all the bells and whistles as far as fancy lights or waterfalls, but that was ok for me.  My dad always said the more extras you have, the more things you have to go wrong.  (at the time he was talking about electric locks and windows on vehicles, back in the 70's) but I feel it still holds true on a lot of things.

2. Customer service, reputation, length of time in business:
This was the main reason I went with them.  I've heard only good about them from both customers and mainly from a guy who used to be a repair tech and is now a wholesaler for Spa parts.  He also recommended H.S. and D1, but talked highly of Valley Pools customer service and reputation.  I think I heard they've been around for 25+ years.

3. Comfort and suitability: Wet test- I can't tell you if it will be good for you but it's great for us.

4. Marquis has one of the best warrenties I've found.  7 years on Shell, Plumbing, Cabinet and base.  5 years on heater (unconditional, not limited to water chemical damage),pumps, electronics. 3 years on cover,ozonater, jet fittings, fuses, lights, skimmer lid, drain bib.

5. Serviceability and convenience: So far so good for us.  They have the new Bromine, mineral Spa Frog in-line system that has cartridges.  They say it's less work and chemicals.  I don't know though because it's all I've ever had. I still have to add stuff.  I guess just not as much(?)

6. Price: He let me know right off the bat that they don't negotiate much.  I paid 7718.16 (including tax 472.00).  He said that includes online coupon and all available discounts.  Also included -148.00 for paying cash. I tried to get him to throw in some extra filters-no go.  How about a rubber ducky? Nope.  I figured it was right in there within 500.00 of what I'd been reading here.  Everything I've read here I agree with as far as cost of overhead,  insurance, etc to keep a good business running.  So far we've been very happy. We've had it for 3 weeks and John has called a couple times to see how everything is going.  A guy is coming out Wed for our orientation and to answer any questions we may have so far.

Good Luck Rodger.
Minnesota Consumer
Been soaking since 7/2004

rodger

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2004, 02:32:38 pm »
Ruby and Kluzo,

Thanks for your feedback! My wife hasn't made up my mind yet and I'm still shopping ;). The "Subject" of my post may have been misleading, sorry about that. What I meant was Arctic was the first we've taken a serious look at. I casually looked at Hot Springs and Cal Spas one day, but that's it. We have Sundance, Cal Spas, and HS in Grand Forks, and Beachcomber (among others) in Fargo. The closest Marquis is in Brainerd (over 4 hours away). The wife is quite against wet tests, she doesn't like the lack of privacy, even after store hours. She'll dry test with a little arm twisting.

Still looking....We're in absolutely no hurry....

Rodger
« Last Edit: July 25, 2004, 02:40:54 pm by rodger »

TALKCalgary.com

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2004, 03:24:33 pm »
I cannot stress enough the importance of wet testing. Like your wife I was against wet testing in a showroom environment.  However, last week I said to hell with it and went wet testing. You know, no one gave a dam that my wife and I were trying hot tubs. In fact, several customers said they wished they had come prepared to wet test themselves!  

My point is this; sitting in a dry tub, which by the way, also looks pretty ridiculous:-) is a waste of time. Had I not wet tested, I would have purchased the wrong spa. It’s as simple as that.

To say that “all tubs push hot water around” is an over simplification. It’s like saying that all cars have wheels and an engine.

rodger

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2004, 04:54:15 pm »
TALKCalgary,

Would you be willing to put your Beachcomber and Arctic wet test experience into words?

Those descriptions would be very beneficial I would think.

Later...

kluzo

• Beachcomber 740 Owner
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2004, 07:33:36 pm »
NEVER BE SHY TO WET TEST!
Jacuzzi had a local radio station on site when I wet tested it (Outside in the parking lot). There had to have been 30-40 people roaming around the area when I was doing my wet test PLUS the lady from the radio station interviewing me on how it felt. It may feel conferrable to sit in a dry tub but you will not know how it will feel until there is water in it. You could end up with a tub that the seats are conferrable but blow you out of them because it is to powerful.

8)HAPPY WET TESTING 8)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2004, 07:33:36 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42