What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Did I just destroy my brand new Spa?  (Read 31382 times)

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Did I just destroy my brand new Spa?
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2016, 01:26:11 pm »
  I feel for you man!   I think you have done about all you can chemical wise, other than straight muriatic acid on the stain, I have never seen such a thing.   Dealer gave you the chems, and in my eyes should be somewhat responsible for it.  Let them do what they can for it, even though they have tried by the sounds of it.     I think it will go away in time, but how long is that time??     Have you mentioned replacement spa yet or has it come up.   It's not going to be a Bullfrog problem, but a dealer problem.    Hope they can figure it out for you!! 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2016, 01:26:11 pm »

FL Person

« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2016, 01:34:19 pm »
  I feel for you man!   I think you have done about all you can chemical wise, other than straight muriatic acid on the stain, I have never seen such a thing.   Dealer gave you the chems, and in my eyes should be somewhat responsible for it.  Let them do what they can for it, even though they have tried by the sounds of it.     I think it will go away in time, but how long is that time??     Have you mentioned replacement spa yet or has it come up.   It's not going to be a Bullfrog problem, but a dealer problem.    Hope they can figure it out for you!!
The dealer is coming tomorrow with "polishing pads."  I'm going to at least see where that goes before I escalate the conversation of liability.

This is what it looks like with the water drained.  You can see the cratered texture.  It appears to me that the acrylic has been chemically burned.

FL Person

« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 01:03:13 pm by FL Person »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2016, 03:51:42 pm »
 Have you looked at the MSDS sheet for this product yet?

Not surprised it's not coming off after the close up, it does look like the acrylic
 is damaged.

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2016, 04:08:28 pm »

Not surprised it's not coming off after the close up, it does look like the acrylic
 is damaged.

I agree, but how in the world does a "standard" chemical out of a plain jane startup kit burn acrylic? that's just crazy...I had a customer who let calcium go crazy to the point where we literally had to (with his permission, he was selling the house so he had no choice but to either try this or dispose of the entire spa) pour straight 100% muriatiac acid onto the shell, it got rid of the problem and thankfully it didn't cause any further issues but even straight acid didn't damage his acrylic...this is very odd

FL Person

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2016, 10:11:24 pm »

is damaged.

I linked to the product in my first post.  Here is the link again.

FL Person
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 10:14:30 pm by FL Person »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2016, 11:20:20 pm »
Looks like all standard chemicals. I've never seen a chemical do that before to a tub. Wonder what the dealer will find when he looks at it

FL Person

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2016, 10:53:08 am »
I can't claim complete victory just yet but it looks like there is light at the end of the tunnel.  The dealer arrived with white vinegar (Ha! - wishful thinking) :) and a standard, off the shelf 3M Headlight Restoration kit.  She wants to do this entirely by hand (no power drill or buffer) so it's a slow process. 

But so far, 1000 grit wet sandpaper appears to be slowly working.  She's on her way to buy some more 1000 grit, and will ultimately follow this up with the remaining finer grits and polish that's in the kit - but it appears to be doing the trick.

FL Person

FL Person

« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2016, 12:55:51 pm »
I'll call it a success.  Compared to what it was, it's a thousand times better.  Compared to new...there are still some specs of orange and some slight discoloration - but when the tub is filled, I'd be surprised if anyone other than me will ever know.

Just glad it wasn't a total catastrophe.

FL Person

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2016, 01:06:38 pm »
 A big sigh of relief on your side I bet!   Glad they fixed it for you, it's what customer service is like from a good dealer!

FL Person

« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2016, 01:12:26 pm »
A big sigh of relief on your side I bet!   Glad they fixed it for you, it's what customer service is like from a good dealer!

Yes, I am relieved and yes, the dealer was as responsive as I could have hoped for. 

They are good people.

FL Person

Water Boy

« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2016, 01:14:40 pm »
Great to hear! Glad that they got it fixed for ya! Now you can just enjoy it! Congrats on the new spa!
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2016, 11:35:24 am »

is damaged.

I agree, but how in the world does a "standard" chemical out of a plain jane startup kit burn acrylic? that's just crazy...I had a customer who let calcium go crazy to the point where we literally had to (with his permission, he was selling the house so he had no choice but to either try this or dispose of the entire spa) pour straight 100% muriatiac acid onto the shell, it got rid of the problem and thankfully it didn't cause any further issues but even straight acid didn't damage his acrylic...this is very odd

I used to get rid of rust stains ALL the time with muriatiac acid. Works well and has no effect on the acrylic. When acrylic is thermo formed it becomes porous. Staining can then get into the pours. muriatiac acid cleanse it out almost instantly.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

FL Person

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2016, 04:19:18 pm »
I used to get rid of rust stains ALL the time with muriatiac acid. Works well and has no effect on the acrylic. When acrylic is thermo formed it becomes porous. Staining can then get into the pours. muriatiac acid cleanse it out almost instantly.

At this point, I'm inclined to leave well enough alone.  The few remaining specs aren't worth messing with additional acids/chemicals.

FL Person

htnj

« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2016, 05:32:12 pm »
I'm not saying it's the reason, but I always pre-mix my chemicals before adding them into the tub.
I have a large size mason jar with lid, maybe 32oz.

Add the chemicals to that, scoop up some spa water, lid, swirl to mix, pour slowly into spa. 

FL Person

« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2016, 05:34:00 pm »
I'm not saying it's the reason, but I always pre-mix my chemicals before adding them into the tub.
I have a large size mason jar with lid, maybe 32oz.

Add the chemicals to that, scoop up some spa water, lid, swirl to mix, pour slowly into spa.
Thanks for the tip.  I'll give that a try.  Better safe than sorry.

FL Person

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2016, 05:34:00 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42