What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: First Timer, Jacuzzi or Hot Spot (Hot Springs)  (Read 5681 times)

heavyhitter

First Timer, Jacuzzi or Hot Spot (Hot Springs)
« on: June 13, 2016, 11:32:30 am »
We are currently looking for our first hot tub. I have been reading and trying to make the best informed decision possible. We are getting our sprinklers and landscape moved, a 5” concrete pad with mesh and rebar installed and a 60A outlet setup.

We narrowed our choices down to a Jacuzzi J-245 for $6500, Jacuzzi J-280 for $7500, or a Hot Spot Rhythm for $7500 plus $400 for ozone for $7900. The Jacuzzis don’t include a cover lift or disconnect box. The Hot Spot does.

First of all are these good prices? Is one inherently better than the other? Is UV-C better than Ozone? We like the J-280 the best so far because of the open foot area and the little bit extra size seems considerable. The Hot Springs dealer seems like better outfit locally but the Jacuzzi one isn’t bad.

I really liked the Rhythm but for less I get included UV, and a larger tub with the J-280. Thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

First Timer, Jacuzzi or Hot Spot (Hot Springs)
« on: June 13, 2016, 11:32:30 am »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: First Timer, Jacuzzi or Hot Spot (Hot Springs)
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 01:17:20 pm »
Regarding the J280 vs Rhythm, the $400 difference once you add ozone to the latter (and I'd consider the UV-ozone question a wash) is mostly eaten up by the lifter and disconnect box that are included resulting in not much cost difference so be careful that you make a decision based on the most important factors which start with which spa is the best fit for you including faith in dealer but as much as anything it starts with wet testing because dry testing and what they look like sitting there doesn't necessarily mean you'll love it in your backyard.

Use this recent thread as an example of why you really should wet test because often times the one that looks great sitting there doesn't always come through the wet test with flying colors:

http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/forum/index.php/topic,19960.0.html
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 05:22:51 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

heavyhitter

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 04:13:20 pm »
I'd love to wet test but every dealer around here have only one tube in each store that is full and that they allow testing. Of course it is the top offering model in each brand. The best I can hope for is sitting in it dry with the wife. Another thing is I don't know how much wiggle room dealers have bet none seem to negotiate much on price.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 05:29:43 pm »
  7500 for the J-280 is a very good price!   Specially if you are looking for a large open spa. 

bud16415

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 08:05:00 am »
We didn’t have a great deal of tubs we could wet test and sitting in them dry is a totally different feel. Our Caldara Tub the seats felt too deep and angled tighter than what feels comfortable when dry. The dealer told us correctly that you want them to be like that and the feeling when full of water would be different. What I have found if the tub you want is a powerful therapeutic designed tub if the seating feels relaxed dry you will feel like you are getting blown out of the seat when wet with the jets on. Things to think about when you are in the tub without water is leg room and what the foot well will be like with 4, 5, 6 sets of legs in it. Look at the size of the jets not just how many it has and the locations. The design of our tub is that each seat works on slightly different areas of the back and body and the idea is to move from seat to and get a full massage.

Just comparing pump and motor specs and current draw etc. also gives you a good clue to the power of the jets along with the size.

All said there is nothing like a wet test if you can.   

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 01:13:20 pm »
Well you are comparing apples to apples...similar price points, similar jet count/pump sizes, both made in Mexico, similar/same warranties..lets assume both dealers are good then I would wet test and simply go with what you liked the best when sitting in it.  Rhythm is a good tub for the money, the only thing that bothered me (maybe they've changed it this year?) is the fact they basically use a heavy duty garbage bag for the base, if you are in a "rural" or high rodent area it could become a "mouse hotel" down the road, just something to keep in mind

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 01:46:52 pm »
Just comparing pump and motor specs and current draw etc. also gives you a good clue to the power of the jets along with the size. 

Be careful with this. Pump and motor specs ARE NOT indicative of jet feel. Plumbing engineering can make a pump and motor combination half the size feel just as good or even better as one twice as big.
Retired

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 04:44:08 pm »

Be careful with this. Pump and motor specs ARE NOT indicative of jet feel. Plumbing engineering can make a pump and motor combination half the size feel just as good or even better as one twice as big.

...and add in that some spa makers tend to "fib" on the pump/motor specs in the first place and may use tricky language (BHP instead of HP) to make it seem that there is more there than meets the eye.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

heavyhitter

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 07:03:48 pm »
Thank you all for your replies and great information. The wife really liked the J-280 the best.  We got it for $7k plus tax and it came with the cover, starter set of chemicals, cover lift and delivery and setup. They gave me a cover lift in lieu of those cheap a$$ steps. The "free" Jacuzzi steps are pretty flimsy for a big guy. I think I got a good deal. 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 11:48:19 pm by heavyhitter »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 08:06:01 pm »
Thank you all for your replies and great information. The wife really liked the J-280 the best. In the We got it for $7k plus tax and it came with the cover, starter set of chemicals, cover lift and delivery and setup. They gave me a cover lift in lieu of those cheap a$$ steps. The "free" Jacuzzi steps are pretty flimsy for a big guy. I think I got a good deal.

Make your own steps. Easy, peasy, plenty of plans out there.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 08:06:01 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42