What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: 1st Time Tub Buyer  (Read 5264 times)

Lovesy

1st Time Tub Buyer
« on: June 10, 2016, 08:46:44 pm »
Greetings Everyone, I am in the market for a hot tub for a house i just bought. I have come down to two different models, and looks to be a very popular question here on the forums.
Which is a better Value.

Jacuzzi J-245 -

Jacuzzi J-245 Sale Price
MSRP Spa Model: J-245 $8,870.00
$12,599.00 Spa Color: Brazilian Teak
Spa Exterior Color: Silver Pearl
Features
Tri-Fusion Shell Construction Included
UV Resistant Synthetic Cabnetry Included
4" Locking cover Included
Classic Waterfall (except on J-210) Included
Classic LED Lighting Included
Full Foam Insulation Included
Classic Comfort Pillows Included
LED perimeter lighting Included
Stainless Steel Jet Trim Included
CLEARRAY® UV Waterpurfication Included
Subtotal No Charge
Notes
 Price includes Taxes Lucky 13 sale Includes Delivery , Set up , Cover expires June 20 2016
Total
Total Savings $3,729.00
Total Price $8,870.00
*Plus applicable taxes

or the

HotSpot Rythym

Sterling Marble
Coastal Grey
Fibercore installation
Cover lift
Waterfall
2 Pumps
Perimeter Lgihting
GFI Breaker
Chemical Pack

$9673 with Delivery
or Pick up $8794

Mind you these are Canadian Prices, so they may seem high.

Now i am not to to sure the Jacuzzi price is everything includes due to the Applicable taxes may apply. Is the Clear ray Filtration that much better? and both tubs will be used in Saskatchewan where the weather can get to -35 below easily.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
They Seem very similar, and i am leaning towards the Rythme.

Hot Tub Forum

1st Time Tub Buyer
« on: June 10, 2016, 08:46:44 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: 1st Time Tub Buyer
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 09:42:32 pm »
I stay out of pricing/value posts, but welcome to the forum. Two good brands
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 11:12:41 pm »
A lot of those items listed are just standard things except for maybe the breaker and delivery which is typically included but some dealers give the option. If you have the ability to pick it up yourself that $680 would be enticing but don't kid yourself if you're not comfortable with that though I wonder if an experienced 3rd party would charge enough less to make it worth it but its a good idea to let the dealer take the responsibility typically. I don't put too much stock in UV systems but you can always tell the other dealer that the competition has it and you'd like the equivalent.

Two good brands so assuming both dealers seem like they'll be there for you after the sale then go with your gut or whichever seems better in a wet test.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Lovesy

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 12:16:46 am »
I do have the ability to pick it up, come from a farming community with a bunch of guys with flat bed trailers, How hard is it to set up the tub? They both seem to have identical specs, and warranties are similar due to being entry level tubs, just wanting to make sure there werent any significant advantages to either tub. I also couldn't seem to find the biggest of difference in a tub that costs 10k more. I really like the open seating on both, unfortunately neither place in my small city offer wet testing.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 12:51:07 am »
 I will comment on prices, they are insane!   What's J-300 series cost 20,000?   And yes on the Jacuzzi all that stuff is std. Same on the HS only thing not, the lift.  Jacuzzi wise not sure what the "uv" protectant on the siding is?  Never heard of it.

Tough thing is where you live.  Keep shopping see what else is out there, Beachcomber would be my next choice up there.

bud16415

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2016, 09:57:31 am »
We have a Caldera tub made by Watkins as are the Hot Springs and Hot Spot. One of the differences I found in my research was Watkins uses the Fibercore insulation and I found that to be a much better system IMO if you ever have a leak. First the water will travel straight down thru the insulation unlike foam where it can follow the pipe some distance so finding a problem is easier than foam. Then in making the repair the Fibercore is easily removed and replaced.

The GFIC breaker sub panel provided by Watkins (I did my own install and electrical) at least for the Caldera was different than all the other brands as it had 2 breakers inside. They split the load at the panel and have separate power to the heater than the rest of the tub. A nice feature if you live in cold climate and loose the heater the tub goes into survival mode and moves water slowly to extend the time before a freeze will happen in the non insulated equipment area. It does require more wires running between the sub panel and the tub though. The installation of a hot tub is not at all hard if you have the skills to do it. The part that is hard is moving it without doing damage. Mine was 800 pounds I think and I have it on a deck I built and it took several strong men and some specialized equipment to get the tub in place. It can be done by yourself though to save some money. In my case the delivery was included but hooking it up was the big cost. I just added a 50a breaker to my panel ran cable to the sub panel and then on to the tub. If you do your own make sure to check what code requires and follow code. No short cuts there.

We didn’t wet test our tub but we sat in it quite a bit without water as well as others. Wet testing is a better way to get a feel for the jet strength and such but with the quality tubs you can kind of judge from the pump and motor sizes or even the overall amps how the tub will work. Our tub was bought first for its therapeutic benefits and secondly as a social tub. Before you buy think about that aspect. If you just want a social tub all you need is lots of room and some bubbles.

On the topic of size I wanted a 7’ tub thinking it was big enough and she wanted the 8’ I had a hard time as the price jumps a good amount as the bigger tubs have more features and are most of the time deeper also. We got the 8’ for 6 person and I am so glad we did. IMO a 6 seat tub needs to be at least 8’ to get 6 people in without overflowing and being uncomfortable tight. 6 small people or kids sure. 4 people in a 6’ tub is too many I think.

Good luck our tub was our first tub and we have been loving it every day for a year now.   

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2016, 11:37:53 am »
I will comment on prices, they are insane!   What's J-300 series cost 20,000?   And yes on the Jacuzzi all that stuff is std. Same on the HS only thing not, the lift.  Jacuzzi wise not sure what the "uv" protectant on the siding is?  Never heard of it.

Tough thing is where you live.  Keep shopping see what else is out there, Beachcomber would be my next choice up there.
[/quo

Canada prices Jim.  US dollars its 6999 for jacuzzi and 7500 for hot spot.  A little high but not that bad

Lovesy

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2016, 06:26:00 pm »
Well i went and did a wet test in the j-245 today and boy me and the lady are glad we did, it was not great at all! The un adjustable jets and the size of the tub were not quite what i was wanting, with me being 6'3 270. We looked at the J-365 and it was miles and above the 245. For 14k taxes in they will deliver it an hour away and have everything set up for me. I went and took back my deposit on the Rythym. I have decide the middle entry in spas is where i want to be, much more therapeutic. Any 365 owners happy with the tub?

Thanks everyone for the reponses, the wet test was the best idea i could have gotten.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2016, 11:14:32 am »
Well i went and did a wet test in the j-245 today and boy me and the lady are glad we did, it was not great at all! The un adjustable jets and the size of the tub were not quite what i was wanting, with me being 6'3 270. We looked at the J-365 and it was miles and above the 245. For 14k taxes in they will deliver it an hour away and have everything set up for me. I went and took back my deposit on the Rythym. I have decide the middle entry in spas is where i want to be, much more therapeutic. Any 365 owners happy with the tub?

Thanks everyone for the reponses, the wet test was the best idea i could have gotten.

Pass that advise on to others and keep wet testing till you find what is best for you.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2016, 11:14:32 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42