What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Owners with mid-way recessed tubs - how are they being accessed when broken?  (Read 5557 times)

delt31

Thinking about half way recess for my hot tub but worried if it needs to be repaired - how are they going to access the front panel with it half being under ground and half above.  Maybe a dumb question but is there enough room in between to still take the door off? 

Hot Tub Forum

bud16415

I thought about doing mine that way and would have framed my deck with about 6” on a side that I would close up after it was in with a frame that could be easily removed the sides don’t need a lot of room to get off and most of the works will then be below your deck so the repairs would mostly be done from below. some people make them too low and that is hard to enter for older people because it’s a big step down into the tub. The best height is the same as the top step of a normal steps.
After a lot of thought I figured the stairs didn’t take up that much room and it was a much simpler install and removal being on top the deck.

Looking back on it and how much room the tub takes on the deck I wish I had put it off the deck to the side at the half way point in height. 3 sides would then be open.

It is easier to open the cover when you are standing next to it at full height.

BullFrogSpasMN

put the spa "next" to the deck where you can still step into the spa from the deck but yet still have 3 sides exposed for a worst case scenario....save yourself the headaches

delt31

do you have a pic of this?  Trying to picture what you're talking about having 3 sides exposed....

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Retired

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Retired

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Retired

htnj

Here's my tub, it's recessed about 24" below the deck.  There are 2'x4' panels surrounding the tub which are framed into the constructed deck.

Also, on the long sides (since it's a rectangle,) I have a 1ft gap that I built a 'step' to cover the gap.  If I need to repair anything, I can simply slide the step back as it just sits on top of the deck.  If I need more room, then I can also remove the panels. It's super easy access.  It's already come in handy as I've had to access the pumps a few times.

This is after I removed the old tub; you can see all of the panels here (dont mind the dirty deck, its getting powerwashed after the pollen drops :) ):

The new tub being installed; some of the panels opened:

Accessing the tub while installing the electrical

This same gap exists on both ends

Here it is with both steps built.  I've since stained them the same stain that's on my house, and the white facia is the trim color of my house
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 09:21:42 am by htnj »

Hot Tub Forum

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42