What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Chemical Strategy - Take Two  (Read 1683 times)

FL Person

Chemical Strategy - Take Two
« on: June 21, 2016, 09:20:33 am »
Now that my crisis has been more or less averted (read here if you're not up to speed), I've refilled the tub and started from scratch with a different brand of chemical.  I'm now using Leisure Time and because I travel frequently, I'm using Bromine instead of Chlorine.

I tested my water out of the tap and the Calcium Hardness was off the scale.  This might have something to do with my fiasco the first time around.  I added a bottle of Metal Gon and the CH seems to now be in check.  I added Sodium Bromide and have the floater in the tub with Bromine Tabs.  I tested again this morning and the PH seems close to where it should be, the Alkalinity looks high, but the Total Bromine is showing nearly 0 PPM.  This is surprising as I thought the Sodium Bromide was intended to boost the Bromine levels in new water?  I just added three Renew tabs to shock the water (I guess this is MPS?) and will test again later.

Given my travel, I'm curious if I'm better off sticking with this strategy of using the Bromine floater and shocking weekly with Renew tabs (or immediately upon returning from my travels) or if it makes more sense to use Leisure Time Reserve and eliminate the bromine floater?  The information for the Reserve product indicates "The Reserve & Renew® sanitizing system eliminates the need for a floater, a brominator or the handling of dry chlorine.  Leisure Time® Reserve is a bromide salt that remains neutral in the spa water until Leisure Time® Renew® granular is added. The two products react with each other to form active bromine. With proper maintenance and the regular addition of Leisure Time® Renew® granular this system is virtually maintenance-free."

Also, the Renew instructions indicate that it should be added after every use, or weekly.  Is there a risk of over-use if adding Renew each time the spa is used?

TIA.

FL Person
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 02:04:41 pm by FL Person »

Hot Tub Forum

Chemical Strategy - Take Two
« on: June 21, 2016, 09:20:33 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42