What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Today is "Labor Day"  (Read 3703 times)

UnderTheStars

Today is "Labor Day"
« on: July 24, 2004, 06:11:36 am »
My helper for the day shows up in 45min, then it's off to the gravel pit for a load of pea gravel.  Today I'll dig trench/lay conduit for electric, lay a 6" gravel bed, and build forms.  By this afternoon I will:  1) be ready for my concrete guy to pour, and 2) wish I already had my hottub to soak in!  But I will also be another step closer.  I guess this post has absolutely no relevance other than "new owner anticipation" . . .thanks for listening!

Hot Tub Forum

Today is "Labor Day"
« on: July 24, 2004, 06:11:36 am »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Today is "Labor Day"
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2004, 08:59:16 am »
Lift with your legs, not your back.   ;)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

spaguyohio

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2004, 09:08:59 am »
Dont forget to tip your helper with a nice pizza and soda.

DebsinIllinois

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2004, 12:44:51 pm »
It's "labor day" at my home also..tho I have to work. Hubby is setting up the pad forms and talking to the concret guys to have it poured and finished Monday..yeah!! End of next week for my new Saratoga Canfield. ;D

UnderTheStars

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2004, 08:40:08 pm »
Thanks Chas, I did lift with my legs/not back!  4 tons of pea gravel hauled from the gravel yard.  Couldn't pull the truck around the house so it was all hand carry from the front driveway in a 6 cu' wheelbarrow (8 thousand pounds - I'm done, 7 am seems like a LONG time ago.  But the forms are built for a 6" slab w/1/2" rerod.  (yeah, overkill but very stable!)  Just now sipping a cold Sam Adams before the shower. . .life is very good, and I'm ready for the crete man Monday (or when he shows!)

DebsinIllinois - After they pour, keep that slab wet.  Don't just sprinkle it and let the surface dry in between.  It needs water to properly cure/achieve strength.  So wet it, cover with burlap or straw, wet that and pull a plastic sheet or tarp over it.  Pull the tarp a couple times a day & wet it down/pull the plastic back over it.  Repeat until your are done "curing."  Crete hits 50% strength in 3 days, 80% in 7 days.  Letting the surface dry when curing weakens it and leads to spalling.
Good luck with your pour!
Stars
« Last Edit: July 24, 2004, 08:43:25 pm by UnderTheStars »

OnMedic

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2004, 08:45:31 pm »
What is Spalling?

DebsinIllinois

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2004, 09:11:21 pm »
 ;)Thank you UndertheStars I'll be sure not do everything to insure a good foundation for my new spa..tho I really am wanting it to be here now instead of next weekend!  :-/

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2004, 09:20:35 pm »
What is Spalling?

Little chunks pop out.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

UnderTheStars

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2004, 09:30:37 pm »
Hi!  Sorry about that, but Chas is right - spalling refers to small pieces of the surface separating ( 1/2" - couple inches deep, often just the surface.)

It's caused by freeze thaw cycle and is often seen on outdoor slabs near the expansion joints.  Notice next time you see a concrete drive that's a couple years old - you may see broken chunks (hockey puck sized) near the joints.  If you are doing a 10 x 12 or so, you won't have stress joints.  Larger slabs will have them.

But!  If you let the surface dry out during the initial cure the surface is weaker and prone to surface spalling from weather or from impact.  Just keep it wet, cover w/plastic & you'll do fine.  I'm off to grill a steak, another S. Adams, movie then bed.

OnMedic

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2004, 10:48:10 pm »
Thanks for the explination on spalling. I have this happening on my garage floor, on the part outside the door when it closes. Happened after the 1st winter!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2004, 10:48:10 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42