What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Ozone vs UV  (Read 6075 times)

Blueandwhite

Ozone vs UV
« on: April 16, 2016, 05:05:32 pm »
Any opinions on which is better? Is ozone potentially harmful to users? I know it's a potential issues with air purifiers that create it as a byproduct. Not sure if it has any effect dissolved in water.  Is it as anti microbial as UV?

Hot Tub Forum

Ozone vs UV
« on: April 16, 2016, 05:05:32 pm »

BullFrogSpasMN

Re: Ozone vs UV
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 05:53:39 pm »
There are 2 main types of ozone available for spas...Corona Discharge & UV, see more information that will clear some things up here: http://www.spadepot.com/spacyclopedia/ozone-information.htm

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 02:18:42 am »
Absorbed into water it's pretty inert. Problem is, most of it does NOT get absorbed into the water and just bubbles up..but that's why most "modern" spas shut off the ozone when the jets are running (someone using the spa).
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 01:55:27 pm »
A lot of bacteria that comes in contact with ozone gas (through the sides of tiny bubbles) dies.

Hard to get a ton of contact between bacteria and the gas unless you can keep the bubbles in the water. That's easy in pipes for municipal water systems. Not enough pipe in a tub, any off gassing is loss of effectiveness in your water. Not to mention harmful to the underside of your cover and pillows.

Which kind is better? To me I kind of steer to UV. Some reading suggest it has a stronger output while new but loosing effectiveness to CD quickly. But both have a relatively short life span anyway. UV is cheap to replace yearly or so. The math will likely be a wash versus cost to own CD o3 gen. Let it wear out and see if you can manage your water without it.

I think, I wish Chem Geek was still around, I think he worked for a municipal water system or something.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 01:57:39 pm by Tman122 »
Retired

Monster

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 05:21:48 pm »
Ozone and UV are two totally different things. I am a Public Health Inspector and see these two different systems used to disinfect drinking water. All these two things will do is eliminate harmful bacteria in the tub water. I would go with UV- easier to change a bulb on the unit if something goes wrong. Neither of these will keep the water from becoming cloudy. That is what the proper filter and water chemistry will do.

Keep in mind that these two disinfectants may only be important if you have kids as they tend to ingest water. It will protect them from certain water borne illness. Hope this helps. 

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 05:56:50 pm »
Drinking water and a hot tub are two VERY different systems...and UV sterilization and ozone work quit differently on each. A municipal water system is under a great deal of pressure. As such ozone is quickly absorbed into the water. A hot tub is under nearly NO pressure, and as such ozone doesn't absorb into the water.

In a  municipal water system, water passes by a UV light and goes into the supply pipes, with all the other water that's passed by the UV. In a hot tub, water passes by the UV and is returned to the potentially filthy disgusting water in the hot tub, which it simply dilutes. However, it's possible for bacteria to multiply as a rate faster than the UV can kill it...meaning the bacteria levels in your hot tub will continue to INCREASE even though it's being "treated" with UV
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 07:30:11 pm »
Correct me if i'm wrong, isn't a corona discharge unit just another method for creating UV light?

Dumb it down for me guys. Relative to a spa environment, sorry for bringing municipality's water systems into it. Bad example.

Useless in a spa or lengthens the time between sanitizer additions enough to be worth it? 80-150 bucks every couple years.

I guess that depends on how much you use it.....if you have to add sanitizer (because of use) every couple, 3 days, and with or without a supplementary system that may or may not change frequency of adding sanitizer..........

I've had both and none, either way my frequency of use was so high I had to sanitize (after use) anyway. So without was the best value for me. Unless they throw the first one in for free. If you get one with your spa it's important to note it's exact age. I have had customers go for 10 years or more and not know it wasn't working but assumed it was, their water was fine. I also know owners who replace theirs religiously and swear by their function. Their water is fine. They seemed to have a longer time between soaks. So they consumed less sanitizer but also had less use. Toss a coin......
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 07:30:11 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42