What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Tempered glass within 5 ft of hot tub?  (Read 5617 times)

GrayBeardCA

Tempered glass within 5 ft of hot tub?
« on: April 06, 2016, 03:12:38 pm »
I've been designing my concrete patio/cover/hot tub pad and I've received tons of bids on concrete, cover etc. Today was our first electric bid. The electrician stated that any glass (my windows) within 5 ft of a hot tub has to be tempered glass. Is that legit? My city's Spa and Hot Tub Requirements does not list anything about glass. I hadn't heard of that before and now I need to figure out if replacing the windows/sliding door on my home is cheaper or extending the patio/patio cover and changing the location of the hot tub is cheaper.

Maybe this is why all the pictures I see of hot tubs are randomly out in the yard instead of near the house.

Hot Tub Forum

Tempered glass within 5 ft of hot tub?
« on: April 06, 2016, 03:12:38 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Tempered glass within 5 ft of hot tub?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 03:39:37 pm »
The sliding glass door is almost certainly already tempered glass. No "certainly", pretty much guaranteed.

As for any requirements by your city, call them and ask.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 03:43:54 pm »
I've ran into this before with windows near the hot tub on a new construction, inspector said tempered was required so yes, it is a legit concern especially if its getting inspected

Racenut

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 03:55:33 pm »
For the windows, it may depends on how high the sills are.  Basically, if there's chance someone could slip and fall into them.  If they are small windows around the top just to let in some light or be able to vent the room, you might be OK.  But I wouldn't rely on the electrician too much for answers on window codes ;)  Check with the city or a local window contractor.

GrayBeardCA

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 04:13:53 pm »
Thanks for the advice, apparently it is in the code - they call it "safety glazing" = tempered glass.

pmang

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 05:06:23 pm »
I went through this with my hot tub room construction. What I thought were going to be $200 windows turned out to be $600 "safety glass" windows per code...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 05:06:23 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42