What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: The dreaded cloudy water  (Read 5350 times)

kasandrich

The dreaded cloudy water
« on: March 28, 2016, 12:35:54 pm »
Tub is a Marquis Epic, running Bromine in the built in cartridge system.

Water was only 10 days old and crystal clear, all chemical levels reading ok

We went on holiday for a week leaving my Son in charge of water.

On our return the water was very cloudy and the Bromine reading was 0. The Bromine cartridge had run out.

We went away on Saturday, my Son checked the water Sunday, total alkalinity and PH were a bit low so he added some PH Minus. He and his fiance used the tub that evening.

He checked the water again on wednesday, bromine was a little low (around 1ppm) and as he intended to use it that evening he added some bromine granules, around a desert spoon. He did not use it that evening, but checked it again the thursday, and reports that all was well.

We arrived home Friday evening and intended to use the Tub, however, the bromine reading was 0 and the water was cloudy. We did not use the tub, but added Bromine granules changed the bromine cartridge and shocked it with a non chlorine oxy shock.
The following morning the water was still cloudy, bromine reading 10ppm free chlorine also shows a moderate reading. TA a PH both reading ok. I used a water clarifier called I think, Crystal Clear. The water remained cloudy, I shocked it again.

The water still remains cloudy but with good chemical readings.

Other than a water change I'm at a bit of a loss what else to do. Any help and advice appreciated.

Hot Tub Forum

The dreaded cloudy water
« on: March 28, 2016, 12:35:54 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: The dreaded cloudy water
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 05:59:00 pm »
 Sounds like you had more sanitizer demand than what was available.   Rinse the filters really good, add a bit more bromine then a bit more clarifier.   Run pump 1 for awhile and see what you get.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 06:48:59 pm »
Tub is a Marquis Epic, running Bromine in the built in cartridge system.

Water was only 10 days old and crystal clear, all chemical levels reading ok

We went on holiday for a week leaving my Son in charge of water.

On our return the water was very cloudy and the Bromine reading was 0. The Bromine cartridge had run out.

We went away on Saturday, my Son checked the water Sunday, total alkalinity and PH were a bit low so he added some PH Minus. He and his fiance used the tub that evening.

He checked the water again on wednesday, bromine was a little low (around 1ppm) and as he intended to use it that evening he added some bromine granules, around a desert spoon. He did not use it that evening, but checked it again the thursday, and reports that all was well.

We arrived home Friday evening and intended to use the Tub, however, the bromine reading was 0 and the water was cloudy. We did not use the tub, but added Bromine granules changed the bromine cartridge and shocked it with a non chlorine oxy shock.
The following morning the water was still cloudy, bromine reading 10ppm free chlorine also shows a moderate reading. TA a PH both reading ok. I used a water clarifier called I think, Crystal Clear. The water remained cloudy, I shocked it again.

The water still remains cloudy but with good chemical readings.

Other than a water change I'm at a bit of a loss what else to do. Any help and advice appreciated.

Yea, what Jim said. Filter for 6-8 hours. But you mentioned that your PH and ALK were a bit low and you added dry acid (ph minus)?

What are your PH and ALK readings?
Retired

kasandrich

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 11:02:08 am »
Sounds like you had more sanitizer demand than what was available.   Rinse the filters really good, add a bit more bromine then a bit more clarifier.   Run pump 1 for awhile and see what you get.

Yes I understand why I have cloudy water, I have got the bromine  level up fairly high now (around 10ppm since I got home) filters have been swapped out for clean ones and I've shocked it and used clarifier, I have automatic filter cycles set twice a day 1 hour each. But the water is still cloudy.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 11:40:37 am »
 Well I think you have shocked it enough.  ;)

When you add the clarifier and run everything on high does the water get real foamy and leave any kind of a scuzz line?     I would say as mentioned by tman up the filtration, make sure your ph/alk are on and add another dose of your crystal clear stuff.     

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 01:10:27 pm »

Yes I understand why I have cloudy water, I have got the bromine  level up fairly high now (around 10ppm since I got home) filters have been swapped out for clean ones and I've shocked it and used clarifier, I have automatic filter cycles set twice a day 1 hour each. But the water is still cloudy.

2 hours in total of filtration per day is not enough...you need 6-8 hour minimum is most cases

Sam

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 01:49:46 pm »

2 hours in total of filtration per day is not enough...you need 6-8 hour minimum is most cases

This.  Also, it takes a little bit of time to clear up.  Increase your filtration periods to at least 3 hours twice per day, if not 4.  It should clear up in a day or so if your bromine level is indeed 10 ppm

MarKee

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 03:59:01 pm »
Sometimes it can take a few days for the bromine to really kick in and clear the water, if it has been low for a period of time.  I would change the filtration to 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours at night.  On a Marquis Epic that is going to give you 19,000-24,000 gallons of filtration per day, which should be plenty.

If the spa is fairly new you might pick up some "Ahh-Some" pipe-cleaner which will clear the lines of anything that may be remaining from the manufacturing process.  It works really well and may help you out a bit.

If your local dealer doesn't have it, you can buy it on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030MYGXW/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1944687582&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0030L05GA&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0KPQSDJT3KQF669VGN0J

There are several advocates of the "Ahh-Some" product on this forum.

summerside9000

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 11:17:50 am »
Good advice from all.
Now wait a day or so. It will clear up.

Compatico

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 12:19:28 am »
Good advice from all.
Now wait a day or so. It will clear up.
I agree...with sanitizer levels that high, it sounds like you need a clarifier to "clump" the particles and trap them in the filter. Clean the filter every 6-8 hours if possible to remove the gunk which will help speed the clarifying, and continue filtering. Monitor the sanitizer levels every 6-8 hours also to make sure it doesn't drop off as it's used up during the filtering and cleaning process.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 12:19:28 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42