What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: D-1 Latitude, Bullfrog R7L  (Read 15367 times)

GrayBeardCA

D-1 Latitude, Bullfrog R7L
« on: March 26, 2016, 07:48:25 pm »
We're interested in these two spas. The D-1 Latitude has a better price and we felt a little better about the dealer (although there are multiple bullfrog dealers in our city so we could always see how we felt about the other one). We're planning wet tests in both. How do these two compare in reliability?
I'm one of those guys that will see 1000 5* reviews but fixate on the 5-10 1* reviews where something went wrong. I noticed D-1 had a number of complaints on a consumer complaints website (one that made me nervous was a noise complaint from a neighbor who could hear the tub cycle all the time). Am I making a big deal about nothing?

I also worry about slime behind the jetpacks in the Bullfrog. Also, the dealer was very negative about circulation pumps, saying they're 'just a way for dealers to make an extra 400 bucks. Other brands we looked at the salespeople spoke positively about circ pumps saying moving water is cleaner than stagnant water.

Anyone own these spas? Any advice. We were quoted 8 for the Latitude, 8.5 for the R7L although that price was only good until Monday (I don't deal well with pressure sales so if that price is really only good until Monday then I guess we'll end up getting something else. Prices do not include tax, but include delivery, steps, cover and lifter.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 07:54:14 pm by GrayBeardCA »

Hot Tub Forum

D-1 Latitude, Bullfrog R7L
« on: March 26, 2016, 07:48:25 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: D-1 Latitude, Bullfrog R7L
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 08:35:22 pm »
  No problems with the slime behind the jet pac's anymore. the new design took care of that problem.  Circ pumps are ok, if it came with one fine, if it doesn't I don't think I would spend the 400 bucks for one.  And from what I have seen from Bullfrog they run fine with out one like many other spas that do not offer them.   D1 builds a nice spa, noise wise it's hard to say guessing it might be an older spa?

8,500 for the R7L is a great price.  If you walked in on Wednesday wanting to buy they would be stupid to say no.  After that who knows, sales are there for a reason.

Racenut

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 08:58:31 pm »
I used to own a D1 and replaced it with a Bullfrog.  The D1 was a good tub for a long time, but at about the 10 year mark it was fix one leak find another. But it did give 10 years of good service.  We had a mainboard and a control panel replaced under warranty, other than that, zero problems.  The dealer we got the D1 from had changed brands to Artesian and we don't have a local D1 dealer anymore.  When I gave up on the old D1, I figured we would shop, but the first place to start would be D1... then no dealer, so we moved on... But I would have easily bought another D1.

I liked the Bullfrog concept, but still visited every dealer for other brands in the area.  Still came back to Bullfrog.  Wet tested, decided which jet packs we would like and worked out the deal while we were still wet lol.  I'm very happy with our R7 and everytime I get in I wonder why I spent so much time trying to keep the old tub going.

You should be able to get that price on the BF any day, especially if that's without a circ pump. Also BF occasionally does rebates.. we got $500 back on ours for a "Labor Day Sale". But if they are playing sales games with you, go visit another dealer.  Salesman BS annoys me and I'll tend to turn into a "difficult customer" when they start playing those games with me lol.  Especially if they aren't on the only dealer in the area, there's no reason for you to put up with tactics like that.

And the stories you might see on gunk behind the jetpacks are the older design.  The new one is different and has eliminated that issue.

Not sure why the dealer is down on circ pumps unless he's trying to move in stock tubs that don't have one.  My wife insists on ozone in order to be safe running bromine levels a lil lower.  To do ozone effectively, circ pumps are recommended.  It works for me, but IMO, it's just a user preference thing.  Arguments can be mode both ways.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 10:22:17 pm »
I would let the wet test decide.
Retired

Compatico

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 03:11:28 pm »
I would let the wet test decide.
I agree...prices are going to vary for similar models in various areas just like buying a car/truck. I don't focus so much on price differences, I look for the vehicle that suits my needs best. Most people will narrow down a few vehicles and then before dropping the money they go for a test drive to confirm it suits them. Same goes for hot tubs...find something that appeals to your needs and then wet test to make sure it feels good to YOU.

You mentioned negative reviews - don't fixate on them so much as those are the people who have a complaint...you don't get to read of all the people who are happy with their tubs because they don't go online with the same vigour to let people know.  ;D

Also the complaint about a neighbour who could hear the tub cycling...sounds like a whiner who would complain about birds chirping at a feeder (I had one like that years ago) or starting your car to go to work before 0700...idiots are everywhere.
 :o

GrayBeardCA

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 07:34:41 pm »
Update:

I went to do some wet tests today.

We asked to wet test the Latitude at D-1 but they only had the Chairman for wet tests - an obvious step up from the model we were considering. I floated a bit in their lounge. The jets seemed stationary - we didn't turn on their massage function since it wasn't in the Latitude. I enjoyed the experience and left being excited about the potential purchase. The wife even asked if we should even go to the Bullfrog dealer at all. 

Next we went to Bullfrog and I wet tested the R7L - I thought I would float because it doesn't have the arm rests like the Latitude/Chairman but I didn't float at all. I really enjoyed the jet packs and felt like they were more engaging than the D-1.

I really wanted to like the D-1 better because I think the local dealer is superior than the local Bullfrog dealer, but I enjoyed the bullfrog product more. As far as cost, the Bullfrog R7L we got quoted 8500 (no circ pump) with stairs/cover w/ lifter, 1 month chemicals. They didn't want to negotiate the price but were willing to do 3% off if I paid cash. The Latitude we got a quote of 7900 with the same "extras"- both before taxes.

Now it's time to negotiate with the wife who really prefers the d-1 salesperson - or attempt to work with the other bullfrog dealer that is local. Although they're not starting out on the right foot - they haven't returned my email from their website and they haven't answered their phone.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 08:08:59 pm »
 Were selling the R7 at 9500.00 so you got a really good price.  Bullfrog as a company is top notch as is D1/Jacuzzi/Sundance is as well.   How long has the Bullfrog dealer been around or what did they sell before, if you know?   

GrayBeardCA

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 08:49:45 pm »
The bullfrog dealer is newer, the owner opened within the last 3 years I believe. He previously did landscaping and also sold spas with his landscaping business (no idea on brand), he's spas only now. He does the deliveries himself as well as the repairs. He has positive reviews online. He hasn't been as engaging with us as the other dealers we've spoken with. Very hands-off, ask your questions but not going to volunteer any information. It makes my wife nervous that he seems to be a 1-man show.

The other bullfrog dealer is a pool builder who sells bullfrog. As a pool builder, they are very popular with a lot of our neighborhood using them. Like I said, I emailed him last week and have not received a response, we've attempted to call several times with no one answering the phone.

The D-1 dealer has been in the same place for 35 years, he sells D-1 and Marquis. He has mentioned that he doesn't change lines.
The D-1 guy says his method is very simple for maintaining the water, he does the vision cartridge with other stuff but says it's very easy and that if we use his method, we won't have any problems. My wife is very comfortable with this dealer and I can tell it's bothering her that I am leaning towards the bullfrog. She did not wet test because she nearly sliced the end of her finger off making dinner the other day and didn't want to get it in the chemicals. I may go back when she's healed but she's motivated to get this done quickly.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 09:35:14 pm »
 I am pretty confident that you would be fine with the bullfrog, chems are chems and you can choose what ever system you want to go with.  That being said I am not your wife nor am I buying the spa.  Not returning emails or answering the phone is a tough one.    The spa you pick will be in your back yard for a long time.  Ya have too add though, happy wife happy life. 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 10:02:50 pm by Jacuzzi Jim »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2016, 11:37:09 pm »
The bullfrog dealer is newer, the owner opened within the last 3 years I believe. He previously did landscaping and also sold spas with his landscaping business (no idea on brand), he's spas only now. He does the deliveries himself as well as the repairs. He has positive reviews online. He hasn't been as engaging with us as the other dealers we've spoken with. Very hands-off, ask your questions but not going to volunteer any information. It makes my wife nervous that he seems to be a 1-man show.

The other bullfrog dealer is a pool builder who sells bullfrog. As a pool builder, they are very popular with a lot of our neighborhood using them. Like I said, I emailed him last week and have not received a response, we've attempted to call several times with no one answering the phone.

The D-1 dealer has been in the same place for 35 years, he sells D-1 and Marquis. He has mentioned that he doesn't change lines.
The D-1 guy says his method is very simple for maintaining the water, he does the vision cartridge with other stuff but says it's very easy and that if we use his method, we won't have any problems. My wife is very comfortable with this dealer and I can tell it's bothering her that I am leaning towards the bullfrog. She did not wet test because she nearly sliced the end of her finger off making dinner the other day and didn't want to get it in the chemicals. I may go back when she's healed but she's motivated to get this done quickly.

By all means wet test but from where I'm sitting you're looking at 3 reputable brands but I see only 1 of 3 dealers I'd feel comfortable doing business with.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

MarKee

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2016, 04:27:45 am »
I'm surprised your local dealer doesn't have a Marquis Reward or Epic on display to blow the wet test out of the water.  I'm surprised they are pushing the D1

d00nut

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2016, 08:33:11 am »
I'm surprised your local dealer doesn't have a Marquis Reward or Epic on display to blow the wet test out of the water.  I'm surprised they are pushing the D1

Me too!  D1 is somewhat a dying brand.  Jacuzzi is letting that brand sink

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2016, 11:13:42 am »
I am pretty confident that you would be fine with the bullfrog,

I'm not, a crappy dealer can make any tub crappy.
Retired

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2016, 12:52:25 pm »

I think most have always put Marquis and D1 on the same level so its more about what a particular dealer wants or believes in when selling so I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised if a dealer was pushing one over the other since its more a personal preference/belief.

Do you mean they are letting the brand sink with respect to quality of the product or are you saying they are not trying to build/maintain the dealer network?
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Sam

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2016, 05:27:40 pm »

What makes you say this?  D1 is a great company and their staff takes pride in what they do.  They operate pretty independently from Jacuzzi.  I'm a huge fan of D1, the company culture, and the product they put out.  Their Bay series spas are possibly the nicest available in our industry.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2016, 05:27:40 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42