What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Adding chemicals  (Read 5017 times)

aquaman617

Adding chemicals
« on: March 20, 2016, 06:46:32 am »
When adding chemicals to a tub (weekly shock, enzyme, chlorine, etc.), instructions usually say to add the chemicals and run the tub for 20 minutes with the lid open.  Does it really matter, in terms of overall water quality?  Sometimes I will toss in a scoop of chlorine just before rushing out the door to work in the morning, but not run the tub.  I figure that the granulated chemicals will dissolve within a few minutes, and that since the circulator goes on and off several times during the day, the chlorine will eventually fully circulate throughout the system and do its thing.  Thoughts?

Hot Tub Forum

Adding chemicals
« on: March 20, 2016, 06:46:32 am »

Compatico

Re: Adding chemicals
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 10:26:39 pm »
When adding chemicals to a tub (weekly shock, enzyme, chlorine, etc.), instructions usually say to add the chemicals and run the tub for 20 minutes with the lid open.  Does it really matter, in terms of overall water quality?  Sometimes I will toss in a scoop of chlorine just before rushing out the door to work in the morning, but not run the tub.  I figure that the granulated chemicals will dissolve within a few minutes, and that since the circulator goes on and off several times during the day, the chlorine will eventually fully circulate throughout the system and do its thing.  Thoughts?
I always run the pumps for a cycle (20mins) to circulate the chlorine and mix it with the rest of the water. A circulation pump helps to mix but doesn't push the chlorine through all the jets. Especially important for a shock to sanitize the whole tub. However, I don't worry about leaving the lid being open...I believe that's only if you intend to use the tub shortly after adding chlorine which I never do. I add chlorine after a soak to sanitize, never when I'm going to be using it.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 04:55:27 pm »
I don't worry about leaving the lid being open...I believe that's only if you intend to use the tub shortly after adding chlorine which I never do. I add chlorine after a soak to sanitize, never when I'm going to be using it.

Actually the off gassing of the chlorine will degrade the cover faster. And the off gassing is heaviest right after adding.
Retired

Compatico

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 12:36:46 am »
Actually the off gassing of the chlorine will degrade the cover faster. And the off gassing is heaviest right after adding.
I figure it might but I've never really noticed any difference over years of use. If it degraded the cover it must have been by a small percentage...it always looked the same to me.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 01:24:08 am »
It degrades the INSIDE of the cover , allowing the foam to start absorbing water sooner.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

aquaman617

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 06:31:08 am »
Fair point on circulating through all the jets.  Thanks for the input!

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 07:30:03 am »
I figure it might but I've never really noticed any difference over years of use. If it degraded the cover it must have been by a small percentage...it always looked the same to me.

Trust me, here in Northern Minnesota it was difficult for me to leave the cover off for 10 minutes also when it was cold, and I didn't strictly adhere to this recommendation either. How much does it take from the life expectancy of the cover? Who knows.  It seemed sometimes covers lasted longer than others and whether it was a rip on the outside, busted foam, heavy wet foam, tore seam, bad deterioration of the vinyl or whatever. Covers need replacing in a few years to 5-6 years. I never noticed that it was because I didn't leave the cover off all the time after a chlorine addition to prevent degregation of the underside of the cover.
Retired

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 07:34:22 am »

When you have had the cover for 3-4 years and it weighs so much a single person can't open it then you will notice.  The same person who allows a little more time gets 6-8 years out of a cover, you will see the difference then.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 07:34:22 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42