What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Chemical Testing  (Read 2460 times)

Loganmvr

Chemical Testing
« on: March 22, 2016, 08:50:06 am »
I'm a new spa owner and looking for the easiest most reliable way to test the water, is there a specific brand of testing kit I should use? What about an electronic strip reader, is this worth while? How often should I test the water? Spa will be used about 3-4 days a week by 2 adults.
I haven't taken delivery, it's on order.

2nd question- we have 2 children, the youngest is 2yrs old and my wife was reading up on kids and spas and it said kids heat up more quickly and to be careful, does anybody have any experience with children this small in the spa?

Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

Chemical Testing
« on: March 22, 2016, 08:50:06 am »

d00nut

Re: Chemical Testing
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 02:31:08 pm »
Everyone here will say the most accurate way of reading your spa is the Taylor test kits (K-2006.) 

Personally, I use test strips because they are accurate enough, and I am lazy.

Don't bother with electronic strip meters.  In my experience, they are all over the place.  Unless you are paying a lot of money for one, the $70-$100 electronic meters give you a different reading every time.

I test once a week, which is what I would recommend for anyone.

Finally, I have a 2.5 year old son who will join me from time to time.  Little ones can't dissipate heat as well as we can.  Make sure they are well hydrated and that the temp isn't to high (102 max is what I would recommend.) 

My son sweats to high heaven, so he is a tolerant of the heat for long periods of time.  Just make sure you make them drink plenty of water. 

If they are less than a year old, I wouldn't really have them in your hot tub for more than 10-15 minutes.  Just my 2 cents.

Compatico

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 11:56:42 pm »
Everyone here will say the most accurate way of reading your spa is the Taylor test kits (K-2006.) 
Personally, I use test strips because they are accurate enough, and I am lazy.
I had a test kit...but once it ran out I went back to test strips because I found them to be accurate enough, quicker, and a LOT cheaper. Especially here in Canada.
Don't bother with electronic strip meters.  In my experience, they are all over the place.  Unless you are paying a lot of money for one, the $70-$100 electronic meters give you a different reading every time.
Same here...bought one...tried it a few times...took it back and bought more test strips.
 ::)
Finally, I have a 2.5 year old son who will join me from time to time.  Little ones can't dissipate heat as well as we can.  Make sure they are well hydrated and that the temp isn't to high (102 max is what I would recommend.)  My son sweats to high heaven, so he is a tolerant of the heat for long periods of time.  Just make sure you make them drink plenty of water. 
If they are less than a year old, I wouldn't really have them in your hot tub for more than 10-15 minutes.  Just my 2 cents.
What he said...and I'll add 2 more cents and raise a dollar. Kids must be monitored closely as they don't know what to watch out for when they overheat nor to even expect it. They go from laughing and splashing to passed out and going under in a few seconds. And I mean literally a few seconds...my wife is a nurse and knows first hand. Always watch your kids.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 11:56:42 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42