What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Green tint to water  (Read 4075 times)

Bober78

Green tint to water
« on: March 17, 2016, 08:41:28 am »
I purchased a Caldera hot tub about 6 weeks ago and so far I am loving it.  The only problem I have had is that my water has a green tint.  I have a Taylor K-2006 test kit as it seems go be what people use for Bromine spas.  Here is what my levels are:

Bromine: 4.0
PH: 7.8
ALK: 70
CALC: 160

The water is crystal clear but does have a green tint.  I had a hot tub for about 12 years and never had this problem in the past, but when we moved  4 years ago we finally got around to purchasing a new hot tub again.  I added Baqua Metal Control to the tub at fill up just as i always did in the past with my old spa, and looked fine for about 2 days then the green showed up.  It seems to fade a little during the week but as soon as I shock it it goes green again.

Everything I am reading online points to possibly copper in the water, but yesterday i bought another bottle (this time Leisure Time Metal Gon) but the spa is still green.

Does anyone have any ideas or am I going to have to drain and refill?

Hot Tub Forum

Green tint to water
« on: March 17, 2016, 08:41:28 am »

Chief Kyle

Re: Green tint to water
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 12:59:26 pm »
I don't have an answer to why your water has a green tint, but I had a samilar issue.  Every time
I added sanitizer a green tint would appear, but would clear.  I ran some bio-film cleaner, drained, cleaned and refilled the spa...no more issues.  I change my water every 4 months.

Bober78

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 01:27:47 pm »
I do seem to be going through alot more bromine to maintain the good levels than i used to on my old tub.  The biofilm may explain that.  I think i will try some of that Ahh Some stuff to see if that cleans out the system.   Would a brand new tub have biofilm?

Bober78

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 03:38:59 pm »
I understand that biofilm could be causing  me to use more sanitizer, but why would it cause the green color (i assume copper) even after using the metal gon?

Bober78

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 09:30:37 am »
I ended up draining and cleaning everything really good this weekend.  I refilled and added metal gon and got all the levels where they should be.  That morning I added the initial bromide bank and mps shock and had bromine level at 5.0, but only a few hours later it was down to 2.0.

Is this normal to drop that quickly in a matter of a few hours or does that mean that there is something (possibly biofilm) that is using the sanitizer?

On the bright side the water color is perfect and not green yet

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 09:30:37 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42