What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How do I landscape for an Outdoor tub?  (Read 7457 times)

JustBeenToIcelend

How do I landscape for an Outdoor tub?
« on: July 21, 2004, 08:14:08 pm »
 ???

I'm buying a hot tub for the first time.  I want to put the tub outdoors on somewhat sloping land.  I've visited many dealers and there are 2 methods being explained to me by the dealers:  1)  simply a level bed of packed crushed stone on which the tub is placed 2) 6" sq. pressure-treated beams in a square pattern with connecting beams and gravel placed in the open spaces.

I want it on the "ground", not a deck (too much $$), and not concrete (too permanent, maybe I want a deck eventually).  But I am getting conflicting advice from Landscapers (even Landscapers recommended by the Spa dealers).  One says he won't warrantee his Landscaping if I put the tub on crushed stone - he insists he's never done it and does only concrete.  Another who says "No, not crushed stone - use stone dust", and then the Spa Dealer says "No - don't use stone dust - it won't drain properly, use stone".    Another who wants to use gravel.    The dealers have said 3/4" stone.  Then some dealers have said that the 6" beam structure is 'way overkill'.  One dealer has offered to sell me a 'portable pad' made of strong plastic with Rhino covering made specifically to be portable.  (but it costs about $650 and I would still have to landscape because of the slope of the land.)

All the Owner's manual says is that it must be a solid level surface.  I don't want to invalidate my warrantee.

Can anyone help me?

Hot Tub Forum

How do I landscape for an Outdoor tub?
« on: July 21, 2004, 08:14:08 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: How do I landscape for an Outdoor tub?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 08:23:34 pm »
A slab is the best, most secure surface upon which to set a spa. It shouldn't cost more than the overkill beams with gravel structure.

A handyman, equipped with a rented jackhammer can reomove it in an afternoon.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

cparlf

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2004, 09:50:31 am »
My favorite subject now, since we placed a deposit on a tub a week ago.  And I thought the pressure was off.  Was I wrong.  So far, I have estimates for electrical ranging, all from licensed electricians now, from $600 to $1,795 just to run a 240 / 60 line.  Amazing.  Concrete?  From $700 two months out to $1,700 two weeks out.  Crushed stone, stone dust, 4500 psi, 3000 psi, "go rent a mixer and use Sakrete, rebar, rebar grounded, fiber reinforced, lip, no lip, use pavers, run the electric conduit through the slab, don't run it through the slab, level, slope, no slope, .......AAARRRGHHHHHH

Tell me this all ends some day?  Either I hang tough or cancel the whole thing and start drinking heavily.

But, seriously, if someone can answer the slopeing ground question.  My yard slopes, not too much, but I am thinking of boxing in around the slab with RR Ties and stone, this being around the slab and paver perimeter.

kluzo

• Beachcomber 740 Owner
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2004, 10:25:02 am »
I to faced the same problem. Sloped yard. I was going to put up a retaining wall but after consulting with an out of town landscaper he sujested to do a concrete slap. This is by far the cheapest way for me to do it. I have just dug out a 10' x 10' hole. My tub is only 89" x 89" but I want a deck around it. By doing it this way I am able to put the deck on pad. Now that the deck is on the pad and not attached to the house I do not require a building permit for it.  ;D

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2004, 10:28:17 am »
If you have a slope, you need to decide how high you want the tub to be: you can dig into the slope so that the downhill side of the slab is even with the surrounding dirt, or you can build up the downhill side till the uphill side is even with the dirt around it.

If you dig into the hill, you will have to build a retaining wall. This could be done with RR ties, Speed-block (stack dry and fill the center with concrete), or dry-stack block.

If you build up the downhill side, you will have to compact so you don't get settling. And, of course, you will have to bring in whatever material you choose to build up with - 3/4" decomposed granite is about the most stable I have worked with.

My advice? split the difference.  Build two smaller walls - one uphill and one downhill, and simply level the area between them.

Here is one we did on a very steep slope, next to a deck that ends up over 15' in the air: After we set the tub and got it going, they added a section of deck that wrapped around on two sides and put hand rails.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

JustBeenToIcelend

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2004, 07:57:26 pm »
Well, hearing of the pain of others does make it feel better :-)

Can anyone answer the big question for me, since the landscaped stone option appears to be the cheapest option...Is that OK?  One concrete guy said he would NEVER put a hot tub on a crushed stone bed.  But that is what the spa dealer told me to do...

Thanks. (I just realized I mis-spelled Iceland.  What a dummy).

UnderTheStars

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2004, 08:32:16 pm »
Ok, consider the source - I'm no expert, just an "engineering type mind."  (and former builder/remodeler, but no hottub experience.)

What does your manufacturer say?  They made the tub and know how thick the liner, how stout the frame, how much flex it can take when filled before a stress crack or something, etc.  That's the primary source I'd listen to for what will work.  What brand/model tub did you buy?

The problem I see with gravel is when the ground freezes the gravel will not lift evenly.  Under a slab frost heave may lift one edge more than another.  But if the slab is thick enough it will stay in a flat plane.  My manuf. says compacted gravel is "ok" but a reinforced slab is recommended.  I considered gravel for about a day, thought about frost heave, and I'm pouring a slab.  I finally decided, I'm spending thousands of dollars - do I want a base that "works" or is best for the tub.  

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2004, 08:32:16 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42