What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Questions about Balancing/Testing water  (Read 2367 times)

dkodadek

Questions about Balancing/Testing water
« on: March 15, 2016, 02:18:33 pm »
Hi. I am a newbie, so I would appreciate any advice you guys can give.

We just got out hot tub a few days ago. I am trying to figure out how to balance the water. Right now my TA and PH are low. My questions are as follows:

1. The hot tub guy said to shock the water with non-chlorine shock BEFORE testing the water. If that is correct, how long should I wait before I test after adding the shock.

2. I have read different options on what I should work on first. Should I work on raising TA or the PH?

3. Whichever, I work on first, how long in between adding increase chemicals do I wait to test again?

4. When using the test strips is it best to have the water circulating or resting?

These might be dumb questions, I just want to make sure I get all this right. I appreciate any help you guys can give me!!!!

Hot Tub Forum

Questions about Balancing/Testing water
« on: March 15, 2016, 02:18:33 pm »

dkodadek

Re: Questions about Balancing/Testing water
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 08:29:48 am »
I would love it if someone could answer these questions. I really could use the help!

Topline Mike

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 12:00:42 pm »
TA and pH go hand in hand. 

My advice is to buy a Taylor test kit, K2006.  Test strips are vague, at best. 

If you bought a hot tub, you can afford the kit.  Get it. 

When the kit arrives, test the TA and let us know what it is.  Someone will help you from there. 

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 12:07:47 pm »
1.  Everyone's source water is different in complexion and balance.  I wont answer what you should do as my tap/well water may not be similar.  Ill just say that my water is fairly clean and clear and I dont shock but rather move to the pH/alkalinity first when dealing with a fresh fill.

2.  If both pH and alkalinity are low, I prefer to raise the alkalinity, let it stabilize, and retest pH.  In most instances I find that the pH levels will rise, as both products are so similar (Sodium Carobonate, Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate).

3.  It depends on how much of the product has to be added, how many gallons, etc.  If you really want to be strict some manufacturers recommend a few hours between adjusting pH and alkalinity.  I dont have much adjusting to do so I only wait 30mins to an hour.

4.  For ease, I prefer the water to have circulated and then turned off and calm so that its easier for me to gently dip the strip and get a more accurate read vs having the possibility of one pad bleeding onto the other.

I am sure there are other experts here who have differing opinions.  This is merely how I conduct water chemistry but I am always interested in seeing if there is a better way.

I hope this helps.  Good luck moving forward.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 12:07:47 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42