What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Pressure Dealers  (Read 5754 times)

dazedandconfused

• Still Negotiating ....
Pressure Dealers
« on: July 20, 2004, 02:30:52 pm »
I have a local dealer who will not give me his 'best' price on the phone or email.  I can undestand that.  However, I have to go sit in the sales office behind a huge oak table while getting the sales pitch of a life time in order to get his best price!  I rather not go through that.

Even in person, they will not give me a best price until we 'sit down'.  I am sure his best price will not be revealed until he knows for sure I am buying that day!

What a pain the ...!  Who does he think he is?  There are other manufacturers and even other identical brand dealers out there I can go to.

Anyway, any advice as to what to say to get his best price while not being strapped to a chair?  

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Pressure Dealers
« on: July 20, 2004, 02:30:52 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Pressure Dealers
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2004, 02:35:44 pm »
Two can play the game. Keep visiting and stick to your guns, the more times you visit the more he knows your a serious buyer.  Or,  What the heck, sit down with him, you can still get up at any time.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2004, 02:38:39 pm »
Why would he waste his time giving you a number if you're about to bolt?

The best deals always happen when you have the checkbook in your hand.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Dudley_Dawson

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2004, 02:41:57 pm »
Some friends of mine went through the same problem when they were trying to purchase a pool.  Some dealers must really want to know you are serious before they go showing everyone their prices.  Maybe in the past they've had too many people just looking for a comparable price and moving on to the next dealer.

Chris_H

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2004, 02:42:27 pm »
Dazedandconfused:

What dealer would give you his best price over the phone?  So you can complain that his prices are higher than the other Sundance dealer’s you called.  

How does the dealer know you are a serious consumer by you calling over the phone?  You could be his competition 100 miles away.

Go to the dealership and ask for some prices.  That’s the best thing to do.

Chris H

dazedandconfused

• Still Negotiating ....
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2004, 02:51:24 pm »
What is the best line to say to 'get up' after enduring his long pitch?  How do you end his tirade?

Chris_H

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2004, 02:53:20 pm »
Thanks for your time.  Let me go think it over.

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2004, 03:15:58 pm »
''thanks for your time'' followed by any variety of statement that you want to convey.

Not interested.
I found a better deal elsewhere.
Gotta think about it.
need to tell the wife what I'm about to do.
Gotta see my banker known as my local mafia boss.

Pic a feature dazed, but at least let them write you an offer on paper.

Gotta tell you that when I went to get my quote, they knew me already because I had been in several times and it took 15 minutes. including the hagling.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2004, 03:18:05 pm by doodoo »

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2004, 06:19:39 pm »
dazed, "best price" is generally the best kept secret in the spa purchase relationship. You need to determine your  best price, within reason, and attempt to get it. I'm sure you've done you're homework on these forums and should know what others are paying for the tub you want (if not then you haven't completed your homework).

If you are serious about purchasing that tub 'sit down' and get things moving. A line I have used during the 'sit down' that has gotten results when I felt I was being "highballed" was "your price is out of line with what the rest of the country's educated buyers are paying". Let them know that you are an educated buyer.
e

johnnythunders

• Jacuzzi J-355
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2004, 06:24:09 pm »
A week ago Daze said he bought a spa and now he's still shopping.hummmm think Daze is a looker and not a buyer.johnnyT :D

Tubber

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2004, 09:01:51 pm »
I sell Sundance and I'd of told you to go buy elsewhere by now.

UnderTheStars

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2004, 10:42:37 pm »
Just a suggestion, but I say we should all take it down a notch (no need for fistacuffs!)   That said. . .

Dazed, for what it's worth here's how I shop - Make a clear distinction between "shopping" and "negotiating."  When I'm "just shopping" I'm deciding what brand, features, etc. I prefer.  I don't care about "best price" at that stage.   The only price I'm interested in is "sticker price" just to determine which make/model is in my range.   I actually don't WANT to hear anyone's best price at that stage - a low ball at that stage just confuses you.  "Shopping" is when you FORGET PRICE and focus on what brand/model fits you like a glove.

After, ONLY after deciding the make/model you want in your back yard are you ready to negotiate.  If you are at the negotiate stage and find yourself saying, "Yeah, I want this one. . .but if the other guy will drop price 300 bucks I might switch to that one" . . .guess what?  You are NOT ready to negotiate, you are "just shopping"

A good salesman knows a shopper from a buyer at a glance.  If you "pretend" to be a buyer you will quickly alienate yourself at all the available dealers and they won't take you seriously when you are ready.  (Don't do that to yourself, you're too good a guy to have that happen!)

So, ask your self this:  Do I know exactly what brand/model/features I am going to buy REGARDLESS of how much they shave off the sticker?  Unless you say, "absolutely, without a doubt"  you are NOT ready to negotiate. . .and that's ok.  "Shop" 'til you drop but don't pretend to be ready to buy.  .  .  Look, a tub you will use daily for years - $300 is irrelevant over the life of that experience.  Or look at it this way - sitting naked in your hottub you won't feel how thick or thin the wallet is in your levi's.  Just my method, for what it's worth -  Good shopping!

johnnythunders

• Jacuzzi J-355
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2004, 11:18:03 pm »
Even if he he gets a spa fror free he will find faults.johnnyT

Bubbles

• Calls 'em as I sees 'em
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2004, 12:27:08 am »
Long time reader and first time poster. I would like to thank you all for your wisdom and suggestions. That said, I believe dazed is purely wasting bandwidth with pointless, thoughtless questions. I'm not sure of his motive though?

dazedandconfused

• Still Negotiating ....
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2004, 07:57:02 am »
Excuse me Bubbles!

I am just an intelligent shopper looking out for my money!  I know there are huge markups in spas, its a low volume luxury item.

Why shop around a little and get a better deal?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2004, 07:57:02 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42