What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Tub wiring  (Read 2562 times)

JimBob

Hot Tub wiring
« on: March 13, 2016, 01:26:24 pm »
I recently purchased a Lazy boy Hot Tub. I ran 6/3 wiring from, close to the panel, in the basement (short by about 12 ft.) to outside the house.

I just purchased from Home Depot, another 42 ft. to finish off the basement connection and then the rest of the wire outside from the 50 amp. GFCI.

When I ran all of the wire, put it into an electrical box for the connection, I find that I have 8/3 wiring instead of 6/3. Can I still make all the connections and not have any issues?
To recap: 6/3 from outside of house to close to panel, 12 ft 8/3 from panel to 6/3.
 8/3 from connection to 6/3 in GFCI to hot tub.

Help me please

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Tub wiring
« on: March 13, 2016, 01:26:24 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Hot Tub wiring
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 09:14:12 pm »
Kinda depends on how many amps the spa is rated for.

Hopefully someone more up on required wire size will be able to decipher your explanation and give you the correct answer.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Compatico

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 10:02:17 pm »
When I ran all of the wire, put it into an electrical box for the connection, I find that I have 8/3 wiring instead of 6/3. Can I still make all the connections and not have any issues?
To recap: 6/3 from outside of house to close to panel, 12 ft 8/3 from panel to 6/3.
 8/3 from connection to 6/3 in GFCI to hot tub.
Assuming typical copper NMWU rated 8/3 and 6/3, if the tub is rated less than 40 amps then 8/3 is ok. If over 40 amps then you must use 6/3 wire. The manufacturer will have an electrical requirement label somewhere on the tub, probably a metal stamped label that has the serial number, model number, voltage and amp ratings. Based on that label you will have your answer for wiring requirements.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 10:02:17 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42