What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Dillema w/ 2nd Hand Spa Seller  (Read 2510 times)

Ufdah

Dillema w/ 2nd Hand Spa Seller
« on: March 10, 2016, 11:49:37 am »
I put $500 down on a 2010 D1 Aurora a couple days ago to buy it and have it delivered this Saturday. This morning the seller, who refurbishes and resells tubs for a living, contacted me and claimed that while buying a part for the tub this morning he found out that the tub is actually a 2008 floor model that was sold in 2010 to the previous owners. We originally agreed on a $3000 purchase price with an additional $100 delivery fee. Is this an important enough detail to ask for a discount on the agreed price? He claims that he didn't know (which is a little hard for me to believe) and that he just wanted to make sure that things were on the up and up therefore  the call today.

How would you handle this?

Hot Tub Forum

Dillema w/ 2nd Hand Spa Seller
« on: March 10, 2016, 11:49:37 am »

BullFrogSpasMN

Re: Dillema w/ 2nd Hand Spa Seller
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 01:34:03 pm »
I would at least push him for extra filter(s) and maybe set you up with some extra water-care supplies for the "inconvenience" and maybe bypass the $100 delivery fee or just get him to knock $2-$300 off the total price...either of those options seem relatively fair to me.  To me I would be a little surprised if he was intentionally trying to deceive you, knowing anyone can take the serial number off that spa and call a local dealer or the manufacturer and get the year of production quite easily.  With that said if you believe he was trying to deceive you might want to look at doing business with someone else completely, but that's just my .02 it is of course your money so you'll have to make that determination

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 04:43:55 pm »
I would think that if he was actually trying to deceive you he never would have said anything.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 07:06:57 pm »
I think he should discount those 2 years a few hundred also.
Retired

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 07:54:27 pm »
I would think that if he was actually trying to deceive you he never would have said anything.

My thought as well.

It certainly is a big enough deal to renegotiate because if he knew it was a 2008 from the beginning he'd have asked for less. I imagine that when he decided to reveal this he fully understood that there would be a request for a better deal so I'd probably ask for an additional 15% off and settle for 10% and if I didn't get it I'd call his bluff and walk but I doubt it would come to that.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 07:54:27 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42