What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Redwood Hot Spring tub care?  (Read 2199 times)

Isaac-1

Redwood Hot Spring tub care?
« on: March 03, 2016, 05:20:25 pm »
I have a redwood clad Hot Spring Jetsetter (1998 model, last year of real redwood) that I bought third hand a couple of years ago, the cabinet is starting to look a bit dried out so I am wondering what is the best type of oil or other product to  use on it?       Tub is indoors (and based on looks has spent its whole life sheltered from the weather) semi climate controlled location (think sunroom, but without much sun) so I don't need to worry too much about weather proofing and don't want a urethane sealant.

thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Redwood Hot Spring tub care?
« on: March 03, 2016, 05:20:25 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Redwood Hot Spring tub care?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 06:17:23 pm »
A quick google search gave me tons of options. If you can get good ventilation for it to dry after you can get better/oilier stuff but any good sealant you can rag on, rub in and let dry should help a lot. Tung Oil is good but again, ventilation. Better for outside protection. You have to apply it every few years but it's real easy once you get started. Hour and a half, couple beverages. Follow the directions. Old school.

Get to your local hardware store and ask the paint/stain guy.....That's almost a 20 year old classic. Probably does just fine? Parts still available?

Get enough material to do it twice. See if the tub lasts that long and/or if you find where you put the material 2-3 years from now?.......LOL
Retired

Isaac-1

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 11:46:53 pm »
Thats just the problem google gives lots of conflicting advice, plus most seems more concerned with weather proofing than anything else.  Overall the tub looks good, has a few little dings in the cabinet, I have replaced a few parts (circulation pump (twice), spinner jet (bearings were shot), diverter rebuild, pillow, ozonator, etc.)  Otherwise things are still mostly good, people that see it never guess its age, it has the IQ-2000 controller so is not too ancient (1st year of the control panel style that ran through about 2008), only problem is since last summer the tub light is stuck on all the time regardless of what the control panel says, so I un hooked it.  I never used the light anyway, so it really was not worth spending $400+ on a new control board.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 08:04:01 pm »
When you do kitchen cabinets you are actually improving their ability to with stand the weather. Just not using that benefit of staining/protecting. You just want to improve it's looks.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 08:04:01 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42