What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Wet test tub with different motor??  (Read 3509 times)

IonHeaven

Wet test tub with different motor??
« on: July 19, 2004, 08:22:34 am »
The new Beachcomber dealer in my area was nice enough to empty the larger 740 model he had set up to wet test so that I could wet test the 720x, which I am interested in purchasing. He's been great to work with.

However, he hooked up the motor from the larger tub, which has 2 - 3.5hp motors instead of what is sold with the 720x, 3.5 and 1.5hp motors.

He didn't realize the two tubs had different motors, but thanks to this forum, I knew. I'm going to wet test the tub today.

Will I be able to really know how the tub I purchase will feel based on this wet test??

Thanks for any advice!  

At this point, I'm deciding between a Dimension 1 Aurora II ($5800) and a Beachcomber 720x (same price). I may consider a Beachcomber 740 or 750, but am not sure until I wet test the 720x.

Longing for a spa to soak in, IonHeaven

Hot Tub Forum

Wet test tub with different motor??
« on: July 19, 2004, 08:22:34 am »

OnMedic

Re: Wet test tub with different motor??
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2004, 08:30:21 am »
Ion,

If you read all of Beachcombers materials, they design the number of jets and layout to match the motor that comes with the tub. You will be able to understand the comfort of the 720x, which, like the 740 will be second to none, but do not get a false sense of jet power. It may actually feel too strong...?... and I would beg to ask why he doesn't attach the proper motor/pump to the 720?

Cheers

IonHeaven

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2004, 07:53:54 pm »
Hi OnMedic,
Thanks for your feedback regarding testing the 720x with the 740 motors.

The dealer didn't realize the pumps were different until I told him and he confirmed it in his files. He was thinking that he wouldn't have to unpack the 720x pump and could just use the one already on the floor.

Since we spoke about this on Friday, I thought perhaps he may have connected the correct pump for the wet test, but he didn't. I called ahead for the wet test, but the person I've been dealing with was out on his Culligan route, so someone with no knowlege of hot tubs at all let me try out the tub.

I just got back from the wet test. The seating and jet configurations are great, but I was thoroughly confused about the amount of power from the two 3.5 hp pumps and which seats would be working at the same time.

I tried turning on just one pump to see what just running the 3.5 was like, but I couldn't get an idea of what it's like to have both motors going at all.

Are both of the pumps in the 720x two-speed?

I believe the two 3.5 hp motors were 2 speed pumps. One seemed to only operate the circulation and then a low speed. The other pump seemed to have two speeds low and high. Is that the same power as the 3.5 pump in the 720x?

I think I would be happy with the 720x. The size is a good fit for my family though I did consider going to a larger 740 or 750. I would be more confident had I been able to test the actual set up that I would be purchasing though...now what?

There is another dealer in my area with the same tub. He's selling out of Beachcomber going to D1 instead. I was hoping to give the new Beachcomber/Culligan dealer my business, thinking that he would provide good customer service...but this has clouded the issue.

Thanks for your advice! I feel so close but yet so far...IonHeaven

OnMedic

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2004, 10:22:45 pm »
Ion,

Be honest and tell him that you really need him to switch-out the pumps to make the final decision. I cannot comment on the 2003 configurations, as my manual only shows 2004's. It shows as follows:

720 - 1.5 hp + 1.5 hp
720x - 1.5 hp + 2.5 hp
730 - 2.5 hp + 2.5 hp
740 - 2.5hp + 3.5 hp
750 - 3.5 hp + 4.5 hp

The 740 is a perfect set-up I am 100% satisfied with the power of the set-up. I beleive, after readin the manual, all pumps are now 2 speed. The circulation pump is seperate all together (third pump) in the Hush Pump model, but I am not sure in the Non Hush Pump how it works.

Honestly, I would shop the D1 dealer that has the Beachcombers he is clearing give you the lowest possible price and take it to the Beachcomber dealer and tell him money talks, but you would really like to deal with him and see if he will match the price!

OnMedic

IonHeaven

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2004, 09:25:38 am »
The dealer just called. He switched the motor for the 720x so I can try it again. I'll go down later today and expect to be making a final decision soon between 720x 2003 or 2004LE, thanks for your help!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2004, 09:25:38 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42