What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: 1.5 Years in with Hotsprings Envoy - Ozonator maintenance?  (Read 4794 times)

akm

1.5 Years in with Hotsprings Envoy - Ozonator maintenance?
« on: February 23, 2016, 03:21:42 pm »
Greetings...

Have been happily enjoying our Hotsprings Envoy for the last year and a half or so.  Big thanks to the forum for helping with the buying/chemistry questions.

Everything has been going well.

I am curious about whether it is worthwhile to have some kind of service performed on the tub at regular intervals by the folks I purchased it from.  Not sure if people do that.

I ask specifically about the ozonator, as I seem to remember when we first had it the distinctive "ozone" electrical type smell when I'd first open the cover or inhaling directly over the "ozone bubbles".  It is bubbling seemingly the same as always - tons of tiny bubbles.  Is this something that needs to be serviced, or recharged, or anything of the sort?  Definitely not having sanitation problems, but just curious.

Thanks much!

Hot Tub Forum

1.5 Years in with Hotsprings Envoy - Ozonator maintenance?
« on: February 23, 2016, 03:21:42 pm »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: 1.5 Years in with Hotsprings Envoy - Ozonator maintenance?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 02:45:00 pm »
There is a cleaning of tubing and injector.  Check in your owner's manual or call your dealer.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 05:37:22 pm »
Greetings...

Have been happily enjoying our Hotsprings Envoy for the last year and a half or so.  Big thanks to the forum for helping with the buying/chemistry questions.

Everything has been going well.

I am curious about whether it is worthwhile to have some kind of service performed on the tub at regular intervals by the folks I purchased it from.  Not sure if people do that.

I ask specifically about the ozonator, as I seem to remember when we first had it the distinctive "ozone" electrical type smell when I'd first open the cover or inhaling directly over the "ozone bubbles".  It is bubbling seemingly the same as always - tons of tiny bubbles.  Is this something that needs to be serviced, or recharged, or anything of the sort?  Definitely not having sanitation problems, but just curious.

Thanks much!

IMO a year or 3 life expectancy/effective sanitation is to short to be worth having one. I'm not sure if they make any that will last longer before they are less effective. But if it's under warranty by all means.
Retired

akm

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 08:42:04 am »
I will note that I'm not sure that it isn't working, and I honestly don't know exactly how to determine that.

And, in general, I guess I'm not sure what the "rule of thumb" is for non-technical folks in terms of how often (if ever) they should have a service call if there aren't any outward issues for "preventative" purposes.  From product to product it varies wildly which actually need regular preventative maintenance (like a car), and which would be rip offs.  For a 11k purchase though, I want to at least feel like I'm doing what I should to be a responsible owner :)

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 11:05:29 am »
 I get that call from time to time and I usually tell people, unless there is a problem or odd error code I wouldn't spend the 80+ bucks for a service call.   Ozonators might have a 1 or maybe 2 year warranty on them, but that wouldn't be under the can you come and clean it for me type scenario, and they would probably charge you.  If you don't mind the charge it's up to you.     If you are handy it's pretty easy to do, but at a year and a half I might wait till mid summer.   Most likely some good youtube videos on it, so at least you know what your looking at should you decide to do it..

akm

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 03:14:28 pm »
Great advice - thank you.  I'll definitely look into cleaning the ozonator.  I'm not a handyman wizard, but usually with a manual and youtube all things are possible :)

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 03:35:19 pm »
 And it's not so much the actual ozonator, but the 1/4" flexible line that runs from the ozonator to what's called the mazzi injector.   Here was one I found pretty quick. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8DnVurwl7E
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 03:37:25 pm by Jacuzzi Jim »

akm

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 09:19:21 am »
Great video, thanks.  Will definitely do that when the weather turns nice again.

I see a lot of content that suggests blockages that can be cleared with the vinegar trick tend to fix issues where there isn't any/sufficient "bubbles" being produced.  I have plenty of tiny bubbles, I'm just concerned that I'm not getting any kind of pronounced "ozone smell".  My assumption is that, if that is still the case post-maintenance that the actual unit that "generates" the ozone might be kaput.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 09:19:21 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42