What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Seemingly the best setup of chemicals for a fraction of the price  (Read 4439 times)

red2play

I've posted before when I got my Bullfrog spa.  I've also used the spa frog chemicals with spa 56 shock  but recently I've switched because of the cost.  It takes about 50 bucks for a kit which would last 3-4 months + the spa 56 shock which would come out to about 250+ dollars every year.

I just switched to spa time brominating tablets about two months ago with Floating Bromine Dispenser, Nature 2 spa stick and oxy spa shock.  Firstly the price, the floater is cheap (and a one time cost about 10 bucks) and the bromine tablets which seemingly last forever (12 bucks), and the nature 2 (23 bucks) and the oxy-spa shock (11 bucks per 2 lbs).  It seems like its 46 dollars but other than the nature 2 spa stick, the bromine tablets, and oxy spa shock lasts much longer.

Also, the pool seems to be more balanced and the water super clear. 

Another problem with the spa frog system is that it forces you to swap out the water every three months if you buy the pack with only has three bromine carts and one mineral.  Which makes you buy four sets every year and then with shock included it can run about 250 per year.

If my projections are right, the bromine tablets 1.5 lbs, will last about six months, and the shock (I actually bought the two pack for 22) will last six months too.  So if I bought the 5 lb pack of bromine tablets 40.00 plus oxy-spa for the yr 44 and nature 2 70 (three pack) that would come to 130 vs 250 for the spa frog system and the water seems to be very clear.  Can any of the experts confirm this?  I've only been doing this for a couple of months and just wanted to hear some expert opinions.

Also this might help those who are wondering about which chemical setup that they may want.

Hot Tub Forum

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Seemingly the best setup of chemicals for a fraction of the price
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 07:29:06 am »
Why don't you just buy a jug of bleach for 4 dollars?
Retired

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 10:15:04 am »
Bromine CAN'T be used with Nature2 as it renders it useless (READ the N2 directions!)
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

d00nut

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 10:59:59 am »
Bromine CAN'T be used with Nature2 as it renders it useless (READ the N2 directions!)

Ditto.  You just tore up $23!

BTW, Spa Frog doesn't force you to change your water every three months.  The directions say 4 months.  The package that contains the 3 bromine cartridges and 1 mineral cartridge are oddly package in my opinion.  You can purchase the yellow bromine packages on your own.  It should be 4 bromine cartridges for every mineral.  I know people who have gone longer between water changes, but that is what Frog recommends.

My personal recommendation... stay away from bromine floaters or chlorine floaters.  They are typically used by people who are lazy, when they shouldn't be.  If you are trying to save money, you can stick with the bromine floater, just test more frequently to make sure that it is releasing the right amount.  The following is right out of the Bullfrog manual:

Bromine and Dichlor tablets are also not recommended as an acceptable sanitizer in Bullfrog Spas unless an appropriate feeding or metering device is used and the water is frequently tested and monitored as excessive Bromine or Chlorine in the spa can cause surface damage and component failure.

Just in my experience, when I get trade-in spas or I refurbish a spa, I can always tell when someone used a bromine floater... because I pretty much have to replace every jet.  Not because bromine is bad, but because the folks that put it in didn't monitor it well at all.

sksmoker

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 06:38:15 pm »
Hey, don't lump all us floater folk in with the rest of the crowd! There are a _few_ of us good floater guys around, that don't have many problems due to the excellent information in these forums!

I just had to stick up for us floaties!  :P :P

d00nut

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 11:03:43 am »
Hey, don't lump all us floater folk in with the rest of the crowd!

I put a disclaimer in there!   ;)

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 06:28:29 pm »
I used a floater for a while on and off also and it worked good. There was always enough use with mine to just bump up the FC after a soak. Then not mess with it for a 2-3 days. Then use it and bump it up and so on. Pour a little bleach in every other day maybe. Balance monthly or slightly more often (baking soda or soda ash) Kill, kill, kill, neutralize acid. I used dichlor on and off during a water cycle also. Had tubs with and without ozone and mineral cartridges and never really noticed much of a difference. Likely just extend time between sanitizer additions for me. Made me feel more comfortable if I didn't sanitize for 3-4-5 days. But I would always add a little bleach before a soak and then more after if it went 3-4 days or more. Changed water 3-4 times a year. Heavy use drove this. 12-24 people hours a month of soaking. Kids, friends a lot of variables here.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 06:28:29 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42