What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cover and filter issues  (Read 3686 times)

ksugrad

Cover and filter issues
« on: January 24, 2016, 03:22:32 pm »
Hi all - I got great information on this forum that helped me identify and choose a hot tub.  Now that I've had it for just over a year, I've run into a couple of issues.

First, we had a record amount of rainfall in the PacNW in December, and my cover could not keep it out of the tub.  When we finally had enough of a break in the weather that we could use the tub, we found it had accumulated several inches of water, which I had to bail out.  I have treated this cover regularly with vinyl conditioner, so my conclusions are either that the cover is defective somehow, or that it is a poor quality to begin with (Covermate is the brand).  Any advice on what brands of covers are the better ones?

Second, I replaced my main filter after a year, using the same part number as the OEM unit.  My dealer went out of business 6 months after I bought the tub, so I got a replacement filter from an internet provider.  The replacement filter doesn't seem to have the same threading as the tub, and I always have to fight it to get it back in after I clean it.  I also noticed today that the top and bottom bands are ragged and uneven - which tells me this a factory 2nd quality of filter.  Any advice on which filter brands are best, and where to buy or not buy them?

Hot Tub Forum

Cover and filter issues
« on: January 24, 2016, 03:22:32 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Cover and filter issues
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 08:35:13 pm »
If your tub and cover are new you may want to question the manufacturer about why it is letting in that much water. Typically the cover acts like a one piece tarp and has a skirt on it to protect the outside of the acrylic on the tub; there is a slit where the cover opens in the center on 2 sides but it shouldn't let that much water in. As far as getting another cover, I would recommend RHtubs ... but I certainly would figure out what is going on with your cover first.

As far filters - as you see they are not all created equal. You need to read the info on websites carefully because a lot of places sell "compatible" filters not the one you may be looking for. I have found that Pleatco isn't that good, I have read that Filbur and Unicel are probably the best out there. I bought 4 Filbur filters (I have 2 filters in the filter compartment) and I did find that their threads are slightly smaller than Unicel; I put some teflon tape on the threads to tighten them up. I would have preferred the Unicel but they are hard to find. Where to buy all depends if you can find a brand you want at a good price. I bought my filters from filtersfast and they have good prices but they seem to only sell Filbur or off brand filters for my tub.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 11:26:25 pm »
Covers aren't designed to be completely water tight. They're sewn together; which means there are thousands of holes through which they're stitched. If the spa is
PERFECTLY level it'll reduce the amount of water than will penetrate through into the spa (most of it will drip out through the outside edge rather than go into the spa water), but even then, not all of it.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 06:27:27 am »
Covers aren't designed to be completely water tight. They're sewn together; which means there are thousands of holes through which they're stitched. If the spa is
PERFECTLY level it'll reduce the amount of water than will penetrate through into the spa (most of it will drip out through the outside edge rather than go into the spa water), but even then, not all of it.

Could it let that much water in that it raises the water level inches? I'm thinking 1/2 inch maybe, then again I live in Jersey and we don't get that much rain.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 10:02:19 am »
Either that, or someone is sneaking over in the middle of the night and adding water.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Sam

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 02:50:51 pm »
Fyi, covermate is most likely the brand of cover lift mechanism that you have and not the cover itself.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 02:50:51 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42