What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Should I put my spa in a gazebo?  (Read 3342 times)

rodger

Should I put my spa in a gazebo?
« on: July 15, 2004, 09:29:27 pm »
I'm in the process of planning a large deck with 3 season gazebo. We thought it would be great to put the spa in the gazebo for a couple of reasons.

1. Nasty problem with biting flies and mosquitos in the summer. Flies during the day, mosquitos at night.

2. Often experience high winds in winter. -50+ windchills.

However, I'm concerned about condensation issues in the gazebo when the spa is in use. I realize that it won't be a problem when it's convered. The condensation could/would cause problems with  the knotty pine interior finish. I'm sure I could use power ventilation. The questions I have are:

1. With outside temps as low as -30 F, does the moisture of a spa that's in use cause condensation problems to the extent that ventilation is necessary? Anyone have an installation like this, in winter conditions similar to mine?

2.  If ventilation is required, what are you using and is it sufficient?

Hot Tub Forum

Should I put my spa in a gazebo?
« on: July 15, 2004, 09:29:27 pm »

twok99

Re: Should I put my spa in a gazebo?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004, 10:48:07 am »
I have my tub in a 10' x 14' gazebo.  It does a nice job to provide privacy, but also has windows on all sides when you want to open things up.  It is not an air/water tight structure so I have had no condensation issues.  We have been in it at 6 degrees F (but no wind chill due to the walls and roof).  It does get very foggy but it dissapates quickly.  My gazebo is all red cedar, much better than redwood.  It came in kit format and my son and I put it together in about 8 hours.  Manufactured by NW Gazebos.  Let me know if you have any more questions.

rodger

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2004, 03:22:18 pm »
Thanks for the info. I've reconsidered building a gazebo and will likely do a more conventional design (rectangle with hip or gable roof). The structure I build will not have the free air movement found in most gazebos(cupola and spindle openings). Yours was the only response I got after posting the same question on several boards. I will be talking with some HVAC folks next week. I'm sure they'll have some suggestions and I'll share them on this board.

Thanks again for taking the time to write. What brand tub  do you have?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2004, 03:22:18 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42