What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Newbie Purchase  (Read 4917 times)

Muddytyres

Newbie Purchase
« on: January 12, 2016, 08:05:00 pm »
I've never owned a hot tub before, and I can't wait. I have been told to purchase used from a dealer, but only one of my local dealers has a used tub and it's had three separate leaks when he's been going over to fix it and he's happy to let me out of the purchase if I'd like. My deck was built for this, it's 10' wide and has a breaker box/wiring right there waiting
I have not been able to wet test any of them and will probably not be able to.
Concerns:1.Money- I just built a house and will be financing the purchase 2. Durability- it will be staying outside in West Virginia. It gets cold in the winter and hot in the summer. 3. I don't know what features I should actually care about... Do I need 35 jets for $2k more? I really don't know...

Options
1. Unknown used tub, seats 6, redone but had multiple leaks. $2k delivered with top, 220V (I have cash for this one)
2. Marquis napa for between 3-4k. not many jets, 110. I will actually need to change the wiring to make it work but it's not an expensive tub
3. Hot Springs Hot spot Relay- $5999
4. Hot spot Relay (different dealer) $6999
5. Jacuzzi 235 floor model $5999

I have one other dealer that may deliver to my area to check, they carry Jacuzzi as well. Also- should I check on a different Marquis model? He said he could price other models as well but that one is especially inexpensive. Is it at all worth it to try to talk dealers down on price (esp since they carry the same tubs)

I'd appreciate any input you have,
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 08:07:14 pm by Muddytyres »

Hot Tub Forum

Newbie Purchase
« on: January 12, 2016, 08:05:00 pm »

gman75

Re: Newbie Purchase
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 08:36:58 pm »
I've never owned a hot tub before, and I can't wait. I have been told to purchase used from a dealer, but only one of my local dealers has a used tub and it's had three separate leaks when he's been going over to fix it and he's happy to let me out of the purchase if I'd like. My deck was built for this, it's 10' wide and has a breaker box/wiring right there waiting
Concerns:1.Money- I just built a house and will be financing the purchase 2. Durability- it will be staying outside in West Virginia. It gets cold in the winter and hot in the summer. 3. I don't know what features I should actually care about... Do I need 35 jets for $2k more? I really don't know...

Options
1. Unknown used tub, seats 6, redone but had multiple leaks. $2k delivered with top, 220V (I have cash for this one)
2. Marquis napa for between 3-4k. not many jets, 110. I will actually need to change the wiring to make it work but it's not an expensive tub

I have one other dealer that may deliver to my area to check, they carry Jacuzzi as well. Also- should I check on a different Marquis model? He said he could price other models as well but that one is especially inexpensive. Is it at all worth it to try to talk dealers down on price (esp since they carry the same tubs)

Local dealer here wants $7999 for j235 but I am in Ontario.  Where can you get for $5999?

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 08:50:43 pm »
7999 with the exchange rate is actually 5600 US so you are getting a good deal. That Napa price is a steal at that price. We sell that for 4995. Check out the e series tubs by marquis. They are a step up from the 200 series jacuzzi and the hot spot line for not much more

MarKee

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 04:06:15 am »
The Napa is a simple conversion to 240V that will take about 1 minute.  If you want to step up from the Napa to a little bit bigger tub with more jets, the Marquis/Celebrity Broadway is a nice tub for the price.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 07:33:16 am »
Welcome to the forum. Don' worry about the cold. I'm just west of you and we use our tub on average 300 days a year.  Just put it close to the door and your more likely to use it.   I did make sure I got all the snow and ice off the cover when I got home from work so it was easy to use when we went out for our 10 at 10 soak.  (10f at 10pm)
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 01:26:45 pm »

Options

"Do I need 35 jets for $2k more?" When it comes to price, # jets, size... its difficult for us to say because its all about what works for you. At the same time I'd also say whatever you get will need to satisfy you for the next decade plus so factor that added price over those years and get what works for you but also what you truly want.

A used tub can be a decent option but if its history includes had multiple leaks you have to worry if more are to follow behind. Is that from a dealer that will give you some type of warranty because that's the only way I'd consider a spa with that history (iffy that I'd pull the trigger even then) and if not I would stay completely away?

All 3 brands are well thought of and BTW, I would chose the 5999 Relay over the 6999 Relay lol!!!

220, 221, whatever it takes!

Muddytyres

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 05:33:41 pm »
After a little more looking- any opinion on the heating/insulation of the tubs? My understanding is that the plug and play, even when direct wired 220, will not be able to keep up with keeping the hot tub hot when it's ski season, zero degrees and we're having a few drinks in the tub. Any opinions of the jacuzzi or hotsprings comparison (J-245 Vs Rhythm).
We'll definitely be using it all year around!
Thank you everyone!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 07:31:17 pm »
After a little more looking- any opinion on the heating/insulation of the tubs? My understanding is that the plug and play, even when direct wired 220, will not be able to keep up with keeping the hot tub hot when it's ski season, zero degrees and we're having a few drinks in the tub. Any opinions of the jacuzzi or hotsprings comparison (J-245 Vs Rhythm).
We'll definitely be using it all year around!
Thank you everyone!

If you are planning to use it in a cold weather area you definitely want it 220V if you plan on sitting in it for any length of time with the jets on because the heater at 110v won't keep up during use.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 07:31:17 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42