What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Winter Hot Tub Move  (Read 5818 times)

mattyj45

Winter Hot Tub Move
« on: January 12, 2016, 11:43:46 am »
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum as well as hot tubs. I purchased a used hot tub and it is being delivered to today. I am looking for advice on how to move a hot tub over snow as we have about a foot of snow on the ground. The guy is going to get the tub to my place on a flat bed but will need my help (as well as a few buddies of mine) to move it about 50FT from my laneway to it's destination over some fresh snow with some harder ice and snow underneath.

I have never moved a hot tub before so any help would be appreciated.

Matt

Hot Tub Forum

Winter Hot Tub Move
« on: January 12, 2016, 11:43:46 am »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Winter Hot Tub Move
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 02:51:27 pm »
I'd imagine the guy delivering it will know what to do....in fact, let him take charge, AND responsibility of it.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 06:46:15 pm »
I have a sled that would hold it. It hauls my fish house out on the frozen lake. Do the lakes freeze solid by you. Can you borrow one? Otherwise there's the straps and 4 strong guys method. Can he back his truck through the snow?
Retired

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 01:33:19 pm »
I'd imagine the guy delivering it will know what to do....in fact, let him take charge, AND responsibility of it.

I was hoping Chas would come out and let us know how he did it.  ;)

My tubs were delivered in  March and October. I know I would be plowing or shoveling a path.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 03:28:07 pm »
if its "hard pack" we use a homemade "sled" basically made of 1/2" flexible plastic and approx. 44" wide x 8' long...spa goes up on its side, holes on the front to attach a strap and pull with.  If its fresh snow and you really want your tub delivered you're going to have to shovel/snow blow a path and we'll bring it back on the Spa Dolley cart.  Winter moves can be a little trickier I would recommend calling around to find some prices

mattyj45

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 03:48:54 pm »
So we got the hot tub to it's new home safely. The guy I bought it off runs a towing company so he delivered it on a flat bed truck and we lowered down carefully on to a tarp. With 5 guys, some pushing and some pulling, we slid the tub pretty easily over the snow. I should mention that the snow was pretty firmly frozen and packed so the tub didn't have much to dig into. Thanks for the suggestions and I'm glad that's over with!

Matt

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 07:30:27 pm »
if its "hard pack" we use a homemade "sled" basically made of 1/2" flexible plastic and approx. 44" wide x 8' long...spa goes up on its side, holes on the front to attach a strap and pull with.  If its fresh snow and you really want your tub delivered you're going to have to shovel/snow blow a path and we'll bring it back on the Spa Dolley cart.  Winter moves can be a little trickier I would recommend calling around to find some prices

Any snow down there BFSMN? Starting to look pretty wintery here in Northern MN. Lakes have 14-16" of ice, white everywhere. Very late this year. My bro from Seattle say's there's nothing colder than 34 and rain. I told him it was like that for most of Nov and Dec and we called it unseasonable warm.  I also told him to make sure someone tells Marshon Lynch frozen ground feels just like concrete. I guess someone told him but they didn't need him anyway. :(
Retired

CCC

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 08:33:08 pm »
I am from the Iron Range, so I grew up watching the Vikings in the 70s, have lived out here in WA since the 80's. I am a West Coast guy by virtue of years, but I was really rooting for the Vikes. What a heartbreaker!

Topline Mike

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 09:05:34 pm »
Ya, total heartbreaker. 

from Packer Nation.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 09:49:34 pm »
I am from the Iron Range, so I grew up watching the Vikings in the 70s, have lived out here in WA since the 80's. I am a West Coast guy by virtue of years, but I was really rooting for the Vikes. What a heartbreaker!

A ranger!! We landed a 70m Essar steel project in Nashwauk but it is currently shut down for lack of funding.
Retired

CCC

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2016, 12:36:03 am »
My dad worked for Erie Mining (later LTV). After a couple of nasty strikes and a few layoffs he saw the writing on the wall and we moved away in '80. I went to elementary school in Hoyt Lakes.

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2016, 12:12:54 pm »

Any snow down there BFSMN? Starting to look pretty wintery here in Northern MN. Lakes have 14-16" of ice, white everywhere. Very late this year. My bro from Seattle say's there's nothing colder than 34 and rain. I told him it was like that for most of Nov and Dec and we called it unseasonable warm.  I also told him to make sure someone tells Marshon Lynch frozen ground feels just like concrete. I guess someone told him but they didn't need him anyway. :(

Little bit down here in the cities, nothing crazy though, almost all the roads are completely clear...supposed to be a cold snap coming.  I go nuts during this slower season, I'm hoping we have a good early spring

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2016, 12:12:54 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42