What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: What type of cement?  (Read 4284 times)

Bober78

What type of cement?
« on: December 22, 2015, 03:08:22 pm »
I have a concrete side patio that i plan on putting my new hot tub.  The problem is that is has a slope for drainage like most patios, but this one is about 2" drop over about 8 feet. 

There are no cracks in the existing slab, but I have read that I could make a frame and pour a thin coat of cement on top of it to make it level (2 inches at the slope to a feathered end at the high side).

First of all does this seem like it would work, and if so what type of concrete would I want to use?  The regular cement say 2 inch minimum, but there are some other types like a sand topping concretes like they use for shower basins say up to 2".

The spa is 84"x84" and the base is 82"x82" so I would like to keep it as close to that as possible.

Thanks for any advice

Hot Tub Forum

What type of cement?
« on: December 22, 2015, 03:08:22 pm »

richierich

Re: What type of cement?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 05:34:09 pm »
Why not build a frame so that the low side is 4" , high side 2" and pour some concrete/cement?

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 06:26:28 pm »
I have a concrete side patio that i plan on putting my new hot tub.  The problem is that is has a slope for drainage like most patios, but this one is about 2" drop over about 8 feet. 

There are no cracks in the existing slab, but I have read that I could make a frame and pour a thin coat of cement on top of it to make it level (2 inches at the slope to a feathered end at the high side).

First of all does this seem like it would work, and if so what type of concrete would I want to use?  The regular cement say 2 inch minimum, but there are some other types like a sand topping concretes like they use for shower basins say up to 2".

The spa is 84"x84" and the base is 82"x82" so I would like to keep it as close to that as possible.

Thanks for any advice

They make plenty of types/brands of pour in leveling compound. Get to your local hardware chain (Home Depot, Menards, Lowes) and ask. Make sure you research for concrete because wood is a lot different. Your going to want to score your existing patio and use a bonding agent also.

http://www.theartofdoingstuff.com/how-to-pour-self-levelling-cement/
Retired

Bober78

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 12:14:46 am »
Why not build a frame so that the low side is 4" , high side 2" and pour some concrete/cement?

I would perfer to have a lower one (2" tapered down to a featherd) but i'm sure 4" to 2" is probably better against cracking.

If I did that, i would only need it to be just a hair bigger than the base footprint right?

richierich

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 01:47:56 pm »
It is kind of nice to have room at the front of tub for the steps.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 08:09:01 pm »

I would perfer to have a lower one (2" tapered down to a featherd) but i'm sure 4" to 2" is probably better against cracking.

If I did that, i would only need it to be just a hair bigger than the base footprint right?

Use epoxy leveler. You can feather that to a lot thinner. Google your options. Leave a small amount of drainage slope.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 08:09:01 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42